xbox360 or ps3

Discussion in 'Hardware Talk' started by d3v1l127, Apr 22, 2009.

1. d3v1l127

d3v1l127 Just Joined

what is the best buy as i am after a console either a ps3 or a xbox360 i am unsure what either are like so any suggestions are welcome :)

thanks

2. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

Not an easy question to answer without more info. Everyone here has their favorites, but it will come down to things like:

1) Who will be playing the console?
    2) What style of games do the players enjoy?
    3) Will the players want to play online?
    4) Is movie playback a consideration? (Is DVD fine, or are you looking to watch Bluray as well?)

3. d3v1l127

d3v1l127 Just Joined

1) Who will be playing the console? me
    2) What style of games do the players enjoy? fps and third person shooters. aircraft sims, sumulaters the list goes on lol those are the main games i play tho
    3) Will the players want to play online? yes of corse
    4) Is movie playback a consideration? (Is DVD fine, or are you looking to watch Bluray as well? im not fussed as i have a dvd player and a blue ray supported dvd player in a laptop but dvd playing in my personal pc

4. Pure Mongrel

Than I would suggest the XBOX 360.

Having played a varied range of FPS titles on both consoles and I feel that this genre plays better on the XBOX. I can't quantify it but for me the 360 controller seems better suited to the task. (If you said fighting games like Street fighter I would have recommended the PS3. The SONY controller is far superior to the XBOX one in this genre.)

XBOX boasts the largest online community, but there is a catch here as while the PS3 is free to play online, the XBOX has a monthly, 3 monthly or yearly subscription fee.

While paying to play does suck, the trade off is that the XBOX live system has been more stable, has better voice communication and the majority of downloads don't take any where near the times experienced on the PSN.

There are also currently a wider selection of FPS games on the 360, with some exclusive title having a large and very active online community; HALO 3 (FPS) and Gears of War II (Third person shooter). The major cross platform titles like the Call of Duty and Tom Clancy games also have large communities.

Just to be fair though (and hopefully not add confusion to your choice), the PS3 does have a couple of FPS games with large communities; Resistance Fall of Man 2, Killzone 2 (FPS) and SOCOM (Third person shooter).

So you won't miss out which ever console you pick .... (Just pick the 360 ;) )

5. d3v1l127

d3v1l127 Just Joined

the main game i would most likely playing is battlefield.. have played killzone 1 and not sure what killzone 2 is like so thats a option but think its only on the ps3 cant think of anything else at the moment maybe it is best to get them both lol

6. GiantDave7

GiantDave7 Getting Started

I've got a related question:
    Is it worth the money to own both consoles?
    Other than the fact that it alows you to play with friends that might own a console you otherwise wouldn't, does anyone who owns both consoles think it is worth the expense?

7. George

George Retired Captain

I was thinking of doing that when i return to Australia. I have the wii and PS3, but really want to get involved in the XBOX to see what P_M keeps going on about :)

8. urgal1

urgal1 Well-Known Member

We own both. And the xbox gerts most of the use.

9. Pure Mongrel

Umm ... (wow this is going to sound bad ... :oops:)

I have 2 PS3's and 3 XBOX 360's (oh and a WII .... collecting dust)

It's an addiction ... I would seek help, but ... What can I say, I like my toys.

My poor wife has come to terms with having a big kid for a husband (and secretly she enjoys playing console games ... though she will never admit it).

I rarely drink, don't smoke and don't gamble so as vices go its not that bad (is it?).

After the house the only other "money pit" I have is my 4X4. (Speaking of which is getting some more mods in a couple of weeks :D )

But I digress ... In short it is cool having both consoles. You get to play all the exclusives and you can play the right games on the right console (FPS on 360, arcade fighter on PS3, etc.)

My 360's get used the most for gaming, but the Bluray player in the PS3 is still one of the best on the market so it get used a lot by the whole family. Also when it comes to down loadable games, I generally buy them on the PS3. 1) Most of them are better & 2) they are listed in real dollars which is far cooler than stupid MS points!

I hope there is a Tiger Woods coming home with that console! ;)

10. George

George Retired Captain

That's the reason i'm getting it.

11. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

I use my PS3 mainly, but own a 360 arcade for a handful of exclusives I wanted to play. It's a good way to own both consoles as you can get one for around $200 - 250 on ebay :)

12. Kiz

Kiz Retired Captain

i own all 3 wii, x360, ps3

i think its worth it,, the more the merrier :p
    both the xbox and ps3 get a work out, depends on which you rather, and if it has the games you want to play..

doesnt sound bad sounds Awesome :D
    and just think if your wife and kids(if you have any) want to play theres always a spare, and doesnt stop you playing :p

13. oldskool

oldskool Retired Moderator

Will be about freakin time!! :D

I'll throw another vote out to the Xbox. I don't own a PS3 but have several mates that do. All the points really have been covered. I went with the Xbox becuse of then online factor. Having a nightmare with the PS2 and having an original xbox online and playing fine this was the first red flag that went up in my mind.

I waited almost a year after the release of both 2nd generation systems. After a lot of research I choose the Xbox for the large online community, and working easy of use online set up and play. It also excells at FPS games. I think both sides would agree the Xbox has more titles and large communites that play them. Examples already given by PM.

I will say that there are a few games that are sony only. SOCOM and Killzone for example. Both great games but I'll never see on the Xbox. I guess I don't miss it that much to go out and get a PS3. :)

I will add that I also own every nintendo system ever made. (Kinda a collector thing) Yes I have the original 8bit system with super mario and duck hunt. I also have the Wii. But mine also gathers a lot of dust. I only play with when friends are over, or social stuff. My main gaming machine is my 360.

my .02 cents

Cheers,

14. Pure Mongrel

I could own 400 consoles ... my son will always want to play the game I am currently playing. :mad:

Unfortunately the price of games don't lend themselves to buying multiple copies. My son does keep an eye on the specials though, so when a game we love to play multiplayer is listed as super cheep (or we find a mint condition pre-owned at a bargain price) we pick them up.

I will say this for the PS3 in its favor. If you purchase a game on the PSN all users on that console can play the game. On top of that having a user name on multiple consoles is very user friendly on the PS3, and any game you purchased can be downloaded on a second console at no extra charge (I think up to a max of 5 consoles ... Click will know for sure :D )

The only way to "easy" use my XBOX account on multiple consoles is to save my ID and save games on a memory card. It was a nightmare to do before I got one of these babies. (I would have to swap hard drives and downloaded content (from the online store or from disk) is limited to the console you downloaded it to ... major pain in the arse).

OUTSTANDING!

If you have Killer Instinct and Killer Instinct Gold ... I am on the next flight to your house mate! :D

Right ... well the camper and 4bee are packed and ready for when I get back from the ANZAC day march. Catch you guys Monday!

Last edited: Apr 25, 2009
  15. oldskool

oldskool Retired Moderator

I do have killer Instinct as well a large and actually valuable collection. I have all the original Nintendo sports. As well as many classics and rarities. All the Zelda's. etc etc.

Sorry not trying to hi jack your thread. :)

16. Mecha-Wombat

Mecha-Wombat Well-Known Member

Nintendo FTW

I have the same problem OLDSKOOL

as for PS3 V XBOX

I would get the PS3 if you are in the asia region and XBOX if you are in US

Sony has a strangle hold in the east and XBOX in the west so with that in mind go the XBox

17. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

If you're only going to get one and don't have a gaming PC. Get a 360.

If you've got a good PC, get a PS3 or a Wii.

If you've got the $$$, get all of em. :D

I have a kick ass PC, PS3 & 360. I use the PC the most, the PS3 second and I rarely use my 360.

18. George

George Retired Captain

Hold on Drac. Your PS3 is still rooted :) and for some time now.

Personally i think your scared of playing against us console boys. You'll blame the controller or not being able to pick a server or the controller or the voice comms or even just the controller :p.

Seriously though i can't wait to see why people who have both consoles pick the XBOX.

19. Zaxvien

Zaxvien Active Member

I'm getting sick and tired of this.

I mostly like gaming, just to mention. Seems there's little space for people that has chosen the XBOX 360 path for a while.

20. cookie

cookie Getting Started

I only have the xbox360. I don't really bother with PC games anymore and haven't been compelled enough to buy a PS3. If you just want to play games (like me) then the xbox will be a great buy!
    :)