Xbox One

Discussion in 'Hardware Talk' started by xenoph, May 22, 2013.

1. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

If their willing to make a drastic change like this, what's to stop them from making another drastic change back?

They're setting more precedence for them flip flopping on the fly.

2. SemiproCharlie

SemiproCharlie Well-Known Member

For me, the part I've bolded was the biggest problem. I didn't mind a 24-hour check-in because I'm never offline for that long. The problem was that the move was made 100% for Microsoft's benefit - the consumer got nothing out of it.

Well, that's not accurate either. The real problem was that Microsoft failed to sell the benefits to the consumer, which as I see it was their "family sharing" concept.

You won't need a disc for digital downloads, so if you don't like this change, just buy everything as a day 1 digital purchase and you are no worse off, with the possible exception of family sharing which will need further clarification from Microsoft.

Most of my games for PS3 are digital downloads (thankyou PS+), and discless gaming is so much better.

I'm happy with the move, because I think the original plan was bad for the industry. It had some good concepts, but it was aiming in a very "corporate greed" direction. I would have handled the revision differently though.

Firstly, I would have asked the community directly rather than just going off what the angry mob was yelling. Lay out that removing the check-in was going to cost users the family sharing option and discless play, and ask for feedback from fans, not from nay-sayers.

Secondly, if I wasn't going to consult the community, I would have left the 24-hour check in available as a choice, and bundle it with something for the consumer like family sharing. If you turn off the 24-hour check-in option or have not checked in, then your entire family sharing library gets disabled until you do. You could still play offline, but your family doesn't get the benefits of family sharing. Easy and fair.

Their used game policy was always a step backwards.

3. SemiproCharlie

SemiproCharlie Well-Known Member

Remember the outcry when Sony removed the Linux option from PS3? Imagine if the change they made after the fact actually affected someone. Imagine if it actually affected gamers! Imagine if some of those gamers were American lawyers!!!

I think Microsoft and Sony saw the ramifications of screwing over the customers. I don't think either of them would try this midway through a console's lifecycle.

I don't think.... I do stand to be corrected in the future :p

4. joeshmoe554

joeshmoe554 Well-Known Member

I think Sony saw an opportunity to get back on top of the console game market simply by not being Microsoft and decided to seize that opportunity. When Microsoft realized another company was providing their customers with an option, they decided they would need to change their policy in order to prevent losing customers.

The backlash against Microsoft's decision started when they first announced it, they only changed their mind after gamer's were given another choice. After watching gaming companies continue to ignore the complaints of their customers time and time again, it is really refreshing to actually get a win for once.

5. Psyxar

Psyxar Getting Started

latest announcement from Microsoft regarding, is they've retracted the 1 game 1 console theory - wait long enough they'll see the writing on the wall for the rest of it and revert to the same plan as sony

Too many ppl complain, no one buys, they'll change it too make it more appealing, sony did the same thing last time round, announced a bunch of stuff then scrambled to do what the other guy did

6. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

I was being a little facetious. I've enjoyed my PS3 since I bought it a long time ago. I still have an old gigantic PS3 80gig. The only thing that has gone wrong with it is that it doesn't read DVDs anymore. That's not so bad, since I already owned another DVD player. Plus, I like the controller more, but that's most likely due to owning the first 2 Playstations. I did have the real Xbox 1, but that crapped out on me. I was going to get a 360, but I didn't like how they handled their HDDs. I've been able to put a 500gb HDD in my PS3, which I was able to pick up for quite a good price without having to buy a sony HDD.

7. Rica

Rica Active Member

I think Sony Had the same deal with DRM and connection check in as MS. BUT after seeing the backlash MS got, they changed it so they would look like the heros of next gen and capitalize on it. Which is what happened.

8. xenoph

xenoph Retired Captain

I don't get upset, I get frustrated that people are so eager to hack and slash at something without even attempting to see what is attempted at being done.
    Especially so since it's 'pop' to hate on Microsoft (or any big company) while accepting the very same from other sources (Steam, anyone?).

The new Xbox One – what we lost and why it matters | Games | Geek.com

9. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

Understandable but at the same time.....pussies.

10. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

I really see no reason why they had to force their new system on people? Couldn't a game just come with a key you can tie to your account. You can then play as much as you want without the disc, share with friends etc as long as you have the 24 hour check in.

But then, if you have no internet and can't check in you simply have to have the disc in the drive to play.

Anyway, removal of the region lock is fantastic either way, all that ever does is screw over Australia and most of Europe.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  11. joeshmoe554

joeshmoe554 Well-Known Member

Sadly my 360 stopped playing DVDs. The drive still works, but for some reason the DRM is broken so I can't watch movies on it anymore.

12. Blueink

Blueink Well-Known Member

Apparently we are just idiots then?. I mean how could we possibly see what they are trying to do and still not be prepared to accept what they were forcing down our throats?. Are you telling me these people that I have no doubt are being paid mega bucks could not devise a system to keep those features in place yet still allow people to have a choice?.

How dare the peasants want to have their cake and eat it to...

Last edited: Jun 21, 2013
  13. jonny2combz

jonny2combz Active Member

Last edited: Jun 22, 2013
  14. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

That's a nice theory, but that's all it is.

That still doesn't make you cool, geezer :p

Overall, people will get what they want to get. The most of the popular games will be multi-platform. Some exclusives may make one seem like the ideal one to get, but that's only if you're left out from your friends. I jumped off the Halo bandwagon after Halo 2 came out, and how terrible Xbox Live kids acted toward everyone. I don't need to play a game and be forced to have to go through everyone and select mute, and was very tired of listening to 12 year olds cussing at me.

This also pushed me to only playing single player games on consoles. I also enjoy a lot of JRPGs and a lot more of them are on the playstations.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2013
    Ludy likes this.
  15. jonny2combz

You know I'm cool ;-)

16. vesacre

vesacre Well-Known Member

Sony was originally planning DRM but not sure about the check in part. Anyways sony is no better than microsoft.

17. jonny2combz

Just a quick one, Does anyone know if the pay to play online for the new PS4 (you know now required to have PS+ to play online) will also affect the PS3 online?

18. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

No it's only for PS4, online for PS3 remains free.

19. Trimethicon

Trimethicon Well-Known Member

Source please?

20. jonny2combz

DTM

Rumour mill ;-)