One: Xbox One Kinect or Not to Kinect

Discussion in 'Console Talk (Public)' started by click, Jun 12, 2014.

1. click

click Well-Known Member

Hey Guys
    My sons birthday is soon and now he ask for an Xbox One because all his friends have one.
    I see you can buy the xbox without the kinect and a game now for $100 cheaper.
    My question is should I buy that one or just stick with the kinect package.

Here are the packs we are looking at -
    https://ebgames.com.au/xbox-one/console-hardware

Who would have thought I would own a xbox one before a PS4 :rolleyes:
    PC games still have me by the b@lls is the reason why I have got a PS4 yet

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  2. click

click Well-Known Member

Just found this aswell
    Very interesting

3. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

Tough decision mate.

Obvious questions:
    Are any of the games you're interested in, use Kinect?
    Do you have the living room space to run Kinect noting distance back from the screen.?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  4. click

click Well-Known Member

Short answer is I am not sure mate.
    I was thinking of more about using it for the voice command thing. Just wondering does anyone really use it that way.
    I dont really enjoy all those wave your arms and legs around games, but the kids might be a different story.

If anyone has one I would like to hear if you find it useful ?? or just another dust collector

5. ohio.medic

ohio.medic Star Citizen Captain

I use it for voice command, it's nice to say xbox on and the xbox, tv, and avr all turn on. Best part about it is no longer have to remember all the satellite channel number I can just say Xbox watch abc and it turns to it. I have yet to use it for any games, so I can't comment on them.

6. click

click Well-Known Member

Nice info mate
    I think I would be the same, just use it for the voice unless anything else pops up

7. MeOnFire

MeOnFire Active Member

Just letting you know for Aussies, the "Xbox on" command doesn't work yet, but the "Xbox turn off" command does. Unless you set the language to USA english, but from what I've heard it is coming to us. That being said, me and wife love the voice commands. Watching a blu ray and need to get up or answer the phone we just say "Xbox pause". Come back and when ready say "Xbox play". The "Xbox go to" commands are great too. I use them to check if friends are online and what they are playing. e.g sitting on the couch watching TV and during a add break say "Xbox go to friends" see whos online and then "xbox go to TV" without having to pick up a controller or a remote I love that. The auto sign in is good feature too. The camera picks up and recognises your face and signs you in automatically. Like the wife watching TV at night in the dark I walk past and up on the TV comes "Hi Paul!". we both laughed and were surprised at how well it works in the dark even. I heard it will run faster without Kinect if they put an update with it but it will be interesting to see how they allow it without pissing off early adaptors or people who like using Kinect while playing.

click likes this.
  8. barfarina

barfarina Active Member

Just to clarify, screaming "xbox on" at the TV multiple times doesn't work either (In Australia). I didn't know why until now - knowledge is golden.:rolleyes:

9. 2_islands

2_islands Dark side ... Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Son started playing plants v zombies and I observed that everything being said was being broadcast through the game. This was auto on.

If you get the Kinect, make sure you check settings to ensure that the chat is turned off.

10. click

click Well-Known Member

Going to set it up today thanks for the tip mate. I would have been wtf :confused:. You have probably just saved me hours of frustration.

Can you just turn ingame voice off, so we can still use the other voice commands for the xbox

11. 2_islands

I did find a setting that turns the chat system off. The voice command still works ... I'm just no good at getting it to work. "Xbox off" .... "Xbox off you bastard" ... "Will you turn of you stupid machine" ... flick goes the switch.

12. MeOnFire

MeOnFire Active Member

lol no worries, and yeah theres an option in settings just to turn off Kinect for chat but the crap thing is, some people don't know how to and don't realise its on.
    Like what 2_islands said, when playing Plants vs Zombies: Garden warfare (very fun game for people of all ages!!) you hear a lot of kids and family conversations/arguments and sometimes the mute player/mute all is bugged and it can sometimes get annoying.

13. click

click Well-Known Member

Really really happy with the xbox. I am glad we got the kinect aswell. All I hear my son say is "xbox record that", I think I've watched about 400 clips so far :rolleyes:.
    We have been using it for the movie player aswell
    Thanks again for all the advice guys.

14. 2_islands

I've been using the Skype function. The camera is excellent. We all sit on the couch and chat with family interstate. On the 60" TV, looks like they're sitting opposite you in the room. Better than Skype on PC.

15. Ima Lumberjack

Ima Lumberjack Getting Started

Might be because the off command is Xbox turn off, not just off.

16. Mixzawa

Mixzawa Retired Captain

Ended up buying one for the voice commands when I want to highlight a video or even stream on Twitch as configing OBS to account for gameplay delay is a pain. :p

17. Tiger55

Tiger55 Getting Started

I have had to turn off the voice commands as Mrs Tiger quite quickly worked out she could stop me from playing, usually mid battle, if she wanted to my attention :mad:

2_islands likes this.
  18. Topfuel

Topfuel Well-Known Member

I started to play with the voice commands yesterday and configured it so I can command my xbox to turn on/off and the tv will also turn on/off, I still have to learn all the commands which will take some time.

19. MeOnFire

MeOnFire Active Member

Enjoying this command! Just wish controlled my cable box as well, then wouldn't need to be hunting for remotes all the time :p
    I like the voice commands in forza horizon 2. "Anna" "nearest" "event". Quite handy!
    I don't care what people say, I really like the kinect voice commands :)