360: XBox Live Hacked... :(

Discussion in 'Console Talk (Public)' started by rubicon, Aug 17, 2011.

1. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

Well, looks like my XBox Live account got hacked overnight.

Moved to Russia and $200 spent on MS points. :(

**** this is going to be painful to reverse.

2. Incise

Incise Active Member

bugger :(

3. okkervil

okkervil Active Member

If it helps, it happened at around 2300 our time.

If that wasn't you online.

4. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

It wasn't.

Sneaky Russian ****ers. US should have nuked 'em back to the stone age when they had the chance.

Our bank was awesome. Cancelled and sorted in about two minutes. Microsoft are ****ing useless ****s though. Been on the phone for 38 minutes so far with some useless dickhead. All I want is for them to reverse the charges. How hard can it be?

5. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

The irony is I haven't used the Xbox for anything but being a media extender in at least 8 months.

But I need to keep the account so I can play some of my windows games. :(

6. okkervil

okkervil Active Member

You logged in to XBL around that time.

I recall thinking hm, he's up late, and I wonder if that guy ever plays any games on this thing. I know I don't.

7. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

Well it took an hour and a half on the phone in the end. And all I got in the end was a promise to "investigate" the theft and a vague promise of a refund if the investigation finds in my favour.

I'm really shitty about the whole thing - not the amount of money, but the principle. I'm fastidious about my online security. I never choose to record credit card details for later "convenience". I always enter them from scratch. I run malware stuff regularly, delete anything that looks vaguely like a phishing email, don't download cracks or hacks or frequent dodgy sites.

The only thing I can think of is that it was a buried "opt out" option - like some sneaky buggers who conveniently tick the "automatically renew subscription" button and make you drill through several links to turn it off. I'm looking at you IGN.

As an aside, even though the support person had a fairly obvious American accent, it seemed like he struggled to understand English. Are the Indian call centres coaching their people to use Yank accents?

8. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

Actually they do, English and Australian accents as well. They also get lists of various minor news topics to chat with callers about to distract them while they're waiting, ie. footy results and such. It's pretty bad.

9. Dragonhammer

Dragonhammer Well-Known Member

If Xbox would only allow transactions thru your xbox and not thru a website this woulden't have happend.
    On a side note, all major creditcard company's will let you cancel any purchase within 30 days.