[WoW][EQ2] Looking for interest in adventurers, and comments

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by RedMan, Oct 15, 2004.

1. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

[Begin violins]
    Alas work requirements and family now considerably kill gaming time
    [/end violins]

So I'm going back to the old days a bit. Where pretty much I'll set aside a night for gaming.
    Now... there are two titles coming up filled with exploration no doubt and fun, but, I'm unsure as to which one would provide with the right conditions.

Basically, when I played NWN I proceeded through the entire SP campaign with 3 other people, I don't think I ever played it SP. Twas alot of fun and I'm in that sort of mood again. But, NWN is NWN, and not MMORPG :D

If anyone can fill me in on
    a) If your in the WoW beta, how well do you think this would work for a party of people, just logging in 2 times or so a week for a couple of hours to quest about as a party. Same people, weekly, exploring the world as a party.

b) EQ2 : for those in the know how of this game, likewise, how well do you think this would work for a party of people.

Both as I'm aware allow multiple characters, so someone playing in the party doesn't limit playing all the other times.
    But other things fall into it, such as whether character advancement may be more rapid for some classes, leaving half the party uber, half not. NWN had this problem.
    The style of game, would types of quests support this in either of the games.

And lastly, anyone interested and in which games would they be. Alas, I'd be pretty set to 9-12 AEST. And probably just 2 nights a week.

2. GhostDog

GhostDog Retired Administrator

Re: [WoW][EQ2] Looking for interest in adventurers, and comm

It could work really well, provided an effort is made to keep the characters at approximately the same level. It might be wise to have a set character that you ONLY use for these nights - we'd want to be within a D6 of eachother, level wise.

Also, we'd all need to probably solo for 10 hours or so first, to get our characters to a level where we can travel to the same area (unless we all start as the same race).

We could certainly embark on many of the same quests. Most are generic for all classes, with a few class specific ones cropping up every few levels. Some quests can't be shared, but that doesn't mean that the party can't help someone else complete it. At about level 20 or so, we could make a start on the quests that take us to instanced dungeons, which are perfect for parties, and provide a much more focussed and intense experience. I think XP is handed out pretty evenly if you are partied together, so we should level up at about the same rate. In the instance dungeon I embarked on, we ranged from Level 18 (me) to 24, and it was fine, the 24 Paladin was the main 'puller', but he needed us as much as we needed him.

I'm pretty sure I'm going to play WoW quite a bit. Only EQ2 would stop that. I'd definitely be up for some regular party action in it, and 9:00 to 12:00pm AEDT is spot on for me... although don't be surprised if suddenly it's 2:00am!!

Open Beta for WoW will most likely be in a couple of weeks, we can try it out then :)

3. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

I'd better make sure I apply for it then :D

The intent is that the character in the party is that. Purely for the party.
    There might be scenarios where if one is missing its a case of catch up but overall the party sticks together and adventures together.

I did read your bits on WoW, especially the last one that sounded like it was good for parties. Interesting about the section unlocking though.

I also think EQ2 has a small period where you travel on a boat or something that probably isn't where you'd start adventuring with friends.

4. OldnBold

OldnBold Well-Known Member

Well I have had almost 5 years of EQ1 and to tell you the truth it has completely and utterly put me off any SOE game forever.

I am looking forward to WoW a great deal. I would really like to get together with fellow ToGers to work in a clan environment.

5. Mormi

Mormi Retired Captain

I also posted most of this info in GhostDog's thread, but WoW is the reason I signed up for TOG. I ran into TOG in SWG but felt I should stay loyal to my guild in there( trying to get some of the more mature members over here though). This style would suit a PvE server and possibly the opposite side to your main chac if you spend a lot of time on.

Best of both worlds get to level with friends at the same pace and explore the opposite sides home areas in safety. Can't wait to get started in game.

PS Any idea if teamspeak works in WoW and if so I better get myself a Mic or headset. Have never used it and I've grown to like my surround sound.

6. Derelict

Derelict Retired Administrator

Whether it's EQ2 or WOW, I'd be willing to give this concept a red hot go.

Having a character whom you only level up when your fellow party members log in to group up to me harks back to the old PnP AD&D days.

7. OldnBold

OldnBold Well-Known Member

I have read that it works in WOW and not in EQ2

8. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

I haven't heard that it didn't work...and can't really understand how it wouldn't...its a separate program running in the background...unless SOE intentionaly used the same ports or something that it uses.

9. Twiz

Twiz Retired Captain

Heyas...got a source for this?...something we need to work out before EQ2 launch...

Thanks...

10. UberStein

UberStein Getting Started

If it truly doesn't work with EQ2 at this time (I tend to doubt that), you can bet a new version will be released that WILL work by launch time.

I wouldn't worry too much about it... ;)

11. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

argh!
    Teamspeak!
    :)
    Although I might end up using it, teamspeak sometimes detracts from the fun of things.
    Having a stormtrooper in SWG say "Drop your pants sir and against the wall" in game is slightly different to hearing it in teamspeak. Generally, teamspeak ends up outside the game, game speak, as in text, or emotes, ends up inside the game.

I don't restrict anyone else, but I love to play a character, and my voice over teamspeak doesn't sound right, but my character who possibly hates dwarves and thinks them stupid would do the following

Redman waves his hand in front of the Ghostdog
    "U"
    Redman points to Ghostdog
    Redman makes walking motions with hand
    "walk down corrider first"
    Redman points to eyes
    "See if there are any dangers, such as"
    Redman passes wind, waves hand in air, makes choking gestures
    "gas"
    Redman makes jabbing motions with sword
    "or nasty pointy things"
    "u go now"
    Redman points to dwarf then points down the tunnel.

"There guys, I think the stupid dwarf understands now."

Now this is on my 3rd glass of wine at 10, as the night goes on, things are going to get worse with my little character, or big orc.

12. GhostDog

I think you'll find that my human warlock is a lot smarter than your average beer obsessed dwarven meat head, and she will not be 'checking out a corridor first', for you or anyone. :)

13. Twiz

Twiz Retired Captain

Now you've done it...you'll spend a week explaining to the dwarf what, exactly, a "corridor" is....

14. Tri

Tri Well-Known Member

This is the reason I 95% of the time play a rogue type character. I'm usually more suspicious of any of Red's characters than any dwarf, and since I'm usually a more evil alignment I'd find no hesitation in putting a knife into his back if the situation seems to warrant it :D

15. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

lol, just picked a name :)

And plenty of ammunition with a female warlock. I'm sure their powers are substandard...

But overall I was trying to say that I see Teamspeak as something that may be usefull. By far not necessary for partying.

16. Kmonty

Kmonty Getting Started

This is a good idea and one of the reasons I hunted down TOG ;)

WoW is exceptionally suited to regular group-based adventuring, perhaps more so than any other game I've played. I will be adventuring with two friends of mine (Paladin, Hunter, and me a Druid), and we will always be interested in hooking up with likeminded.

Actually, we need to start a guild :) I wanted to start a dwarven guild called Need for Mead, but as two of us will be NE's and one a Human, it may not work out. Damn the no-dwarven Druids rule!

From all reports EQ2 is going to be a dog on release, so I'm planning to give it a year or so to sort out its issues before I jump in.

17. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

Cool, given that WoW is actually paying attention to Australia... I'm tending towards WoW myself.

18. GhostDog

I envisage a TOG-Horde and TOG-Alliance guild on our PvE server of choice. For our PvP server, we'll have a vote on the faction we'd rather PvP as after open beta.