Worlds of Warcraft

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by DocKins, Sep 30, 2003.

1. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Active Member

sorry about asking these noob questions... never played a MMORPG before.

what is PvP ? I assume its player against player? wouldn't that be more fun? oh the warring fractions... the possility of hired guns.... etc

what is PvE then??

2. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

PvP = Player vs Player
    -fun and thrilling, but, there are wankers out there, just wanting to travel from point A to point B and getting killed by team C because they are camping outside A, so your continually trying to get out of A, can become quite dull for some

so...

PvE = Player vs Environment
    No other player can harm a hair on your head, so in the case above, you go PvE, and can safely travel from A to B while C still have their fun on the other people that want to stay PvP.
    Except for the environment, a large monkey might take a liking to you. But normally the goal of PvE is to make it fun, eg as an avg player you can normally safely travel about on some planets in Starwars Galaxies, but, as an average player on Lok (a very unfriendly planet) the environment will tear you to pieces. So your not safe everywhere.

3. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

Large Travel.

This to me looks to be one of the best aspects of WoW. They appear to be going with 2 styles.

1) is a "horse" like style, where you buy a token and then go for a ride from one place to another. The cool thing is that it will be a flying ride, Gryphons on the alliance side and Wyverns (I think) on the horde side. You will be able to look around as you are travelling and view the world, as will players on the ground be able to see you fly by.

2) the second and most exciting part is player owned 'mounts'. From what I understand you will have some kind of object/scroll/item that will 'summon' a mount (wolf for orcs) that you ride where you want. You are able to be attacked while on the mount, but your defense is much higher. I don't think you can attack others while riding though. Each race will have their own mount type, dwarfs have rams (wierd I know) humans I think horses, Taurans will not have a mount, but will run faster (as Taurans are big bull like creatures, minotaurish, but instead they are bipedal bulls)

I can only assume that each island will have major towns and then the further away from the major towns you get the more smaller towns/forts you will see.

4. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Active Member

good point... I guess I never thought about the potential 'lameness' of the PvP before...

so am I right in saying a PvP game would normally include PvE anyway? If we Toggers can have a large enough group travelling together, would that prevent lamers camping on us?

oh... i'm getting excited already...

5. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

Problem above from what HotLead indicated in his info posting a few above is Toggers would have to decide which alliance for the night they would be playing, unless there were alot of TOG's, enough for a few each side.
    Game seems to focus around groups of 5. And seems like those 5 will most likely have to be on the same alliance.

6. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Looks like this isn't coming out till next year sometime...

7. DocKins

DocKins Well-Known Member

If TOG expands into WoW....

Like SWG, not everyone will want to be part of the same faction. Some will want to be Horde while others want to be Alliance. I know that I will be wanting to try both. But if Blizzard does make the two factions completely seperated that means we would not be able to have one TOG guild. Even in SWG, Rebels and Imperials could group and hunt with each other, but not allowing Horde and Alliance to group would force TOG to have two guilds that could have nothing to do with each other. I don't know if I like the idea of factions being forced apart in such a manner.

8. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

BUT, unlike Starwars seems you can have upto 8 characters on the one server.
    Which means you need TOG Horde guild, TOG human guild etc...
    And you just play for whichever one you want on the night :? Kills a bit though i reckon if you do that, one night your smashing human sculls and drinking their blood, next night your prancing around on a pony singing hyms.

9. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

I don't believe this will be the way it will work. My thoughts would be it will be very much like DAoC or Planetside. Essentially, the first character you create on a particular server will dictate the side that ALL characters on that server can be.

i.e. If you create an Orc on one server then any other character created on that server will have to be of the hoard (Orc, Undead, Taurans ?).

10. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

While I am very interested in getting into WoW on release, I think my next MMO will be Final Fantasy XI as the US release is supposedly Oct 28th. Might wait a week or 2 to find out more info and 1st impressions.

11. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Is that release on the PC?

That is only a couple of weeks away and I haven't seen much hype about it....

12. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

It's PS2 only, as far as I know, Karma.

13. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

14. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Actually that news release says it is being released for Windows....