Worlds of Warcraft

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by DocKins, Sep 30, 2003.

1. DocKins

DocKins Well-Known Member

http://www.blizzard.com/wow/

Been keeping a close eye on this one and it looks fantastic. I will definitally be playing this as soon as they go beta. From the sound of it, WoW will almost be complete by the time it goes Beta. In fact all Blizzard is really going to do in open Beta is test sever stability and minor fixes (Very different from SOE's idea of "Lets build as we go").

Blizzard is promising WoW will be as high quality as all their other titles and they are pretty much taking out what people hate in other MMORPGs and putting in everything people love. I also believe this will be a great game with great content because Blizzard created the Warcraft realm and storyline. Unlike Star Wars Galaxies, The Matrix Online, and Middle Earth Online (which are all worlds based on what other people have written), Blizzard will have much more freedom with their content and storyline.

I am very interested to see how Blizzard will fare on the MMORPG bandwagon.

2. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

I have been following this for a while now (although I've never posted on the forums). It sounds great and I'll certainly be playing retail if not the beta.

The beta could be a problem for us here in Aussie land since the devs have said that the beta will not be available here. I can only hope they release a downloadable open beta ...

3. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

Me and a small group of friends here in Canberra will definitely be playing this game at release. We have been hooked on Dark Age of Camelot for 2 years now, but most of us (4) have cancelled our accounts in the last week or so ..... just waiting for the next big thing, which will be WoW.

I agree DocKins, Blizzard have a great track record of just doing things the right way. I even installed Diablo2 last night and played for 2 hours no worries, it's a classic.

I'm curious about the SWG players we have in TOG and how many other MMOG's the majority have played. From what I have seen and read SWG seems to be fairly weak but still you guys seem to be giving rave reviews.... well at least playing it lots....

and Rickety, I have a feeling that Blizzard will be doing mainly an open beta, I reckon this thing will be pretty well balanced come beta time. Reports from E3 in May this year suggested the game was more solid than most games are at release.

I'm really crossing my fingers for a xmas release, but realistically it will be March/April next year.

4. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

Well, SWG is my first MMORPG, and I'm still having a ball.

Then again, from reading some of the player rants out there, the main gripe (aside from some buggy things) is content. They're not being spoonfed content. No huge quests leading them around by the nose, too much empty space around the planets, etc. Another one is that once they've power-levelled themselves to be uber-fighters, there's nothing else to do.

I personally quite like the open-endedness of the game. Delim has posted something about a RPG quest run by players, which I thought was a fantastic idea.

I like the fact that the economy of the game is driven by the players. There aren't any NPC stores around the place to readily feed items/weapons into the game. All items/weapons/armour have to be created by players, and bought by players.

I know for a fact that Redman has been browsing the bazaars, buying low and selling high to make himself some money. for example.

I don't power-level. I'm exploring, running around planets meeting new creatures - and taming the ones as pets that I can tame, shooting the ones I can't tame, and getting killed by the ones I can't shoot. :p

I don't know, at this stage, whether I'll get into World of Warcraft or not. I know that I'll only play 1 MMORPG at a time, and am still having a ball in SWG. Plus, with creature mounts, player cities, the upcoming Space expansion.. there's lots to look forward to.

I'm still hoping that they'll add Hoth though.

5. DocKins

The fact that a majority, if not all, weapons and armor are crafted/sold by player characters was a great concept...at first. I am the type of guy who wants to see a variety and wants a choice to be different from everyone else. Because the best weapons and armor are made and sold by players, other players have no problem at all aquiring the best. This leads to the point that you wont see any riflemen out there not carrying a T-22, every commando uses a flamethrower, etc... The one good thing about a game like EQ, you had to work to get the weapon you desire, and you also had a huge choice in what weapons you wanted to wield. I really hope WoW has weapons that you can obtain in the wild that are just as good as weapons and armor that can be crafted.

Now I know a lot of people will think, "Because great weapons can be looted, there is going to be camping, and we all hate camping." But after playing games like SWG I acually miss camping and I will tell you why. If you don't have friends playing SWG, finding a group is next to impossible. Grouping with total strangers in SWG is almost doesnt exist. When I played EQ I only had one other RL friend that I could group with, but it was very easy to find a group and go camp something. True, pick-up groups were sometimes catastrophic, but good groups and spending a lot of time with that group while camping something wielded lasting in-game friendships.

6. DocKins

As far as SWG goes for playability...After reaching Master Commando I have lost all my desire to play the game. I have no desire to reset my skills and start over having worked so hard to get to where my character is. Travelling is horrible and I do not wish to spend 10-15 minutes running 4km and avoiding red mobs in order to do NPC missions. I play Star Wars Galaxies because I love Star Wars...but the more I play SWG the more I realize it has almost nothing to do with Star Wars. Sure it has stormtroopers and AT-STs, but I just don't feel that I am *in* the Star Wars world.

Is this strictly a personnal opinion? Of course it is. Mabey because I have played so many MMORPGs in the past I know what to look for and I know what I like and expect out of a game like this. Mabey I am just being pessimistic and am only seeing all the problems with SWG. But I do know for sure that after experiencing SWG and seeing what its all about and how SOE does business...I know exactly what to look for in a poorly made game and I refuse to play any other MMORPG that SOE produces.

SOE is strictly in the business for money and its pretty obvious. They released SWG when it wasn't even close to being complete, just look at the prepatched Commando and Squad Leader. They continue to add drastic changes in patches which should have been made before the release. SOE is adding needed content to PlanetSide, but they are going to charge people even more money for these changes that should be free in games like PlanetSide. This is why I like companies like Blizzard. They put the consumer first. They work hard to put out a product that consumers will love. They don't try to squeeze every penny out of us. But I guess with a game like WoW we will see how their standards hold up. I apologise for all my ranting. I just feel it needed to be said.

7. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

/agreed Doc.

I've been spending less time on SWG just wondering what the heck to do since my skill points are almost gone.

I guess SWG is one end of the spectrum with open ended play. It is SO open ended, that people wonder what to do next! Some open ended stuff is great, but for some reason my intrest tends to wane....

Someone mentioned before later content. How the heck is space expansion going to work? Do people thing it is going to be x-wing vs. tie fighter? i cant imagine, staying within the current gameplay, what they can do in a space expansion.

Hmm....why does my intrest dissipate with these type of games? I love playing online with friends. I love video games.

My girlfriend is almost a master musician. I asked her what she will do when she gets there. "Hang out and chat and play music, hunt when I get bored". Great. I'm paying for a glorified microsoft messenger program..

Sorry if I rambled on...maybe I'll log on later...

8. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

lol, games are what ya make em.
    SWG does seem bug ridden in certain areas, I'm lucky I don't play more than an hour a day at most, cause I haven't seen many of those bugs at all.
    I'm almost Bounty Hunter now and their marker problem seems to have settled, even if they were overhard at least I love a challenge.

As for the Master Musician, pfft, if your into PvP your a spie, went on for the first time pretty much during peak, how much would a Imperial clan pay for a simple covert musician to strike up information about where Rebels are heading. While playing away, USE a glorified chat program, find out where creatures are, pass that onto others, mislead others, or ask for payment to mislead others.
    City's are on their way in, with player Cantina's, master musos can run their own, team up with a chef, stick it near a battlefield.

More importantly, player shuttleports, that'll be nice, by that time I will be bored with exploring the environments (still have some planets to go).

So, you've maxed commando. Well, if thats what you wanted to do, and you don't want to slowly drop that and head for a doctor, then I'd cancel your account, the only thing you have to look for is new content coming in, new weapons, new quests, city militia, vechile pirots (U may be able to steal the other factions speeder bikes) etc. Now, all that will be slow coming, so if you play often it ain't no good to you.

I've been on two hunts now, and a few impressions I've got are this
    - take awhile to build up momentum, now doubt it runs smoothly after I'm off
    - its dead boring in a fashion, none of the rebs in the group I think would have a clue who has a higher rank, as an Imp I pissed Bennett off serverly when he got a higher rank by continually "Yes SIR!" ing him all the time, and "Would you like me to take care of them SIR!"
    Saluting, sobbing when I failed im, generally being a subordinate ass.

For that reason I stay out of Teamspeak, sometimes its usefull, alot of the time I think it alienates you from the game.

But now my rank equals Bennett, so again, he is a lowly subspecies who I slap around.

But then I don't play for long hours, I normally have a goal in mind when I enter the game. Travel from Keren to Theed get exp, kill NPC Rebels (normally calling in for backup when I hit large red partys 8O ). Complain bitterly through my comm about certain Rebels that fire blue lazery shit at you. Before I go down scream BLOODY RUN to my comrades.

9. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

Oh, and to put it back on topic
    Probably won't be in this game, they always say they've taken the best and left out the worst.. :roll:
    Who wouldn't.
    Blizzard have been pretty good but all their stuff has been self contained compared to many other games that put their online stuff outside of their corp, Bioware have had excellant games that don't use an online system.

But I'd say thats Blizzards advantage, battlenet is managed by them (sort of at least), so communication and integration no doubt is alot more efficient.
    This however is their first move into this area, and will be interesting to see how they pull it off, but that alone would make you think they may encounter issues.
    And like all other companies, they will either chop, fix, or release as is.
    Or make a serious loss, but get a damn good name, then sell emselves to EA :D

10. Rickety

Call me a cynic but I believe WoW on release will be no different than any other MMORPG.

Will it be released before all content is added? Absolutely.

Will all characters be perfectly balanced for both PvE and PvP? Not a chance.

Will all characters work? Probably not although considering Blizzards track record I'll say that their shouldn't be any skills that simply do nothing. My biggest problem with SWG is teh simple fact that there were MANY skills, even entire proefssions, that simply do nothing/don't work. This is my opinion is a disgrace and I'd like to think this is where WoW will have the edge.

I think MMORPG's today have a much tougher time than when they were first introduced. Many players feel that they should have the same amount of content that a game already 4 years into retail. A company simply cannot afford this. I think SWG has a heap of content and apart from what I mentioned above is a pretty good effort for the shear amount of 'content' in the game. Player houses, entensive crafting, MANY differnet professions, etc.

I think the single player character of SWG is one its best feature but also one of its biggest problems. As Doc has said, he worked hard to achieve Commando and he shouldn't have to sell his skills to still enjoy the game. True, you could simply start on another server but why should you have to? I think the way SWG has been designed, you couldn't really have more than one character since it would end up as just 1 character and extra harvester slots.

WoW is expected to have about 8 characters I think. I'm looking forward to the game as Fantasy gaming is still my preferance over Sci-Fi.

11. DocKins

Not all MMORPGs are released in the same condition. EverQuest and Anarchy Online had horrible releases, SWG being one of the worst releases ever seen. On the other hand Dark Ages of Camelot and PlanetSide had very clean, nearly problem free releases.

As far as character balancing, no MMORPG will ever get that worked out pre-release since the game is required to be played by thousands of people over time in order to judge what needs to be changed about certain classes.

12. Rickety

Sorry Doc but I completely disagree. Having played AO from beta and SWG from beta I would have to say that AO has had the worste lauch since WWII online.

Most players couldn't even log in to AO within two weeks. Even if you could, it was so unplayable from crashes that you might as well not have logged in anyway.

SWG launch problems lasted one day, maybe two.

DAOC was so successful becuase the game may as well have been MM naughts and crosses. The game had the most appauling character system I have ever encountered in a game. Combat was, select taget, start auto attack. That's it. I playing the game for about two weeks before deciding it was a pile of racid steaming dogturd.

Planetside was smooth becuase the game had no content whatsoever. This was fine because it is mianly an FPS. It had only a small number of player model. No monsters, on dynamic quests. Nothing. Just shoot the other player and take the building. Big deal. I'm not saying the game was crap as I quite enjoyed it but both of these games do not hold a candle to the content AT LAUNCH of SWG.

Yes, SWG has it's problems but as far as I'm concerned it has been the best launch of any MMORPG worth a damn to date.

13. DocKins

This is where opinion and fact get seperated....

I acually enjoyed DAOC. Its been a long time since I played so I can't remember exactly how it worked, but the reason I quit was because there wasn't enough content to keep my playing and PvP seemed to be the only reason a lot of people were leveling.

AO, well I didn't not start playing until about two months after release so I never got to experience all the problems they had at launch, but yes I am hearing about how horrible it was. But it is a game I was having a hell of a lotta fun with after they got everything straightened out.

I think we agree on the PlanetSide issue. Absolutely no content and I predict that game is on the verge of completely dying. Which is a shame because its a great concept.

But in my own humble opinion, I feel SWG has slightly more content than PlanetSide.

14. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Active Member

i think WOW might just be my first MMORPG

15. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

I think this thread is a reflection of the problems and difficulties MMOG designers must have when designing games. What one person enjoys another despises.

Each of us have different requirements for our enjoyment. Some like to be lead by the nose, others love the freeness of doing whatever you might want. Some like to play these games in a solo affair, and others treat the game as a graphical IRC interface.

In the end, these creators of games must stick a flag in the ground and stick to a certain ideology otherwise everyone will smell the stink of failure.

Either way, I am looking forward to WoW and hoping that a community large enough in TOG will spring up. Playing in Aus prime time on US servers is very frustrating.

16. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

I'd agree there HotLead ;)

Seems WoW is going the more small adventuring party way of things. Got the following indications from the FAQ
    - Creature will drop loot, so weapons etc no doubt will be more recoverable rather than player bought, which is reasonable enough in this environment
    - seems lairs/toombs are the thing, but the main point about going out is killing stuff in these places. Solve the going out and finding someone has destroyed it problem by limiting some entrances to lairs/toombs to just your group
    - seems like no player structures, unfortunate, cause I believe forts would be the main things guilds in this game will want as opposed to houses etc
    - class specific, u get some general mix and match but overall u pick something at the start you follow it through, or try out one of your other 7 players, will be interesting on guild limits if you have 8 players running and have to add each of em. 8O

Given the choice to be PvP or not will seem incrediably out of place though with this coming from the RTS series, I didn't play the latest games but I was under the impression undead walking about in a human city would just look, wrong. SWG can get away with it a bit cause as covert you appear normal, and you can't wear ST armour or faction clothes will in that position. But if you look like an Orc you look like an Orc. How did the Frozen throne finish, or was that more than 4 years after the Reign of Chaos. It mentioned the game would be more combat orientated.

17. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

Redman, the way I understand it is that the two Factions (Alliance/Horde) can not mix except in wilderness areas, and even then they are not able to party up, communicate etc...

So you wouldn't see Undead (or any horde player) in Stormwind (the capital of the humans in the alliance) cause the guards at the gate would beat them even more dead ..... though I have a niggling feeling I read somewhere about undead living underground in cities ... that doesn't really make sense but anyway...

Again from what I have read, there will be consensual PvP in certain areas (even an arena where you can pay to watch others fight), but otherwise you need to play the game for twice as long to see everything, ie once on the alliance side (Humans, dwarfs, night elfs, gnomes) and once on the horde side (Orcs, Taurans, undead, Trolls).

And I do believe player housing will be in at release, again from what I have been following.

18. DocKins

I am really not sure how Blizzard is handling PvP in WoW and I don't think they have anything set in stone as of yet. But I wouldn't mind seeing something similar to EQ. For example, as a player you have a choice (as a dwarf) if you want to be friendly toward someone on the opposite side (an Orc). But if that Orc tried to go into a dwarven city the Orc would be KOS'ed by NPCs. One of the only reasons I would accept this idea is because it won't limit who you can group with and fight with yet still allow you to "roleplay" by refusing to associate with the enemy if you choose. I don't know...just going to have to trust that Blizzard will come up with a good solution for people who want to PvP and other people who just want to group for PvE.

19. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

I use http://wow.warcry.com as my WoW resource. They visisted with Blizzard at E3 and got lots of feedback including this "official" piece

another quote from Warcry's unofficial FAQ.

but as with all of these things, plenty shall change before release.

20. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

In the news post about cities mentioned the undead one was underground, thats where you rumour came from.

Undead getting slaughtered on site entering a human city, understandable then, makes more sense. So, obviously would having more than 1 player on the server (max 8 overall on all servers I think).
    Which makes WoW look very combat orientated, will be interesting to see how far you travel to have PvP
    The FAQ indicated they were placing forts about the place, perhaps thats how they'll facilitate large travel, I don't think there is any info for that and I also assume they'll get that working in some way.

locking player interaction or not is interesting in how it'd effect the world, has its merits and not, though effectively blocking races from the other cities no doubt will alienate certain races so interaction would be minimal between them even if the option was there.