World of Warcraft: Generating Excitement!

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by GhostDog, Jan 19, 2004.

1. Delim

Delim Getting Started

www.blizzard.com/wow

--January 26, 2004--
    World of Warcraft Beta Signups This Week!
    At 6:00 pm PST on Wednesday, January 28th, the signup period for the World of Warcraft Beta Test will officially begin. We will provide a link to the beta-test application right here in the news section at that time. Testers are not going to be chosen on a first-come, first-served basis, so you will be able to submit an application and receive equal consideration anytime during the signup period, which will end on Wednesday, February 4th at 6:00 pm PST. Please note that multiple submissions from the same household will result in complete disqualification.
    For this initial phase of the World of Warcraft beta test, we will only be able to accept applications from Canada, Korea, and the US. The test for Europe and other countries around the world will happen later this year. Please do not contact us for further information regarding the beta test; we will be posting a FAQ in the days ahead.

2. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

I'll try to sign up also!

3. GhostDog

GhostDog Retired Administrator

Shame us in Oz can't be part of it... hope some of our US contingent get in.

News article has been posted on TOG home page.

4. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

That's a bit worrying though. The statement implies that the beta will run at least until later in the year.

That or they'll beta the US, Canada and Korea first, release the game, then beta the rest of the world, and release there.

Doesn't look like it'll be a short beta. :?

5. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

Well the beta sign up started on time, but the Blizzard site quickly slowed, then crashed and has been out of action now for the last 3 hours.

Bodes well for the number of players who are interested in this game. Could be the new MMOG on the block for some time.

6. DocKins

DocKins Well-Known Member

I'll be waiting a day or so before I try to sign up. I am anxious to sign up for beta, but not so anxious that I am going to click refresh a million times to get on the site. Besides, they say you have the same chance to become a tester if you sign up tonight, or on Feb 4th, so theres no rush.

7. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

I signed up 7AM EST with no problems!

8. DocKins

I signed up. Keeping my fingers crossed.

9. Delim

Delim Getting Started

Im signed up. They didnt ask the typical beta questions such as why would you make a good beta tester and what experiences you can bring to the game, so it appears it will just be a random choosing. It will be a few weeks before we hear anything, but I have always had good luck with getting into betas early, no reason to break that streak now! Once I hear something Ill do another post on here.

10. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

Delim, at this moment Blizzard are anticipating approx. 500,000 signups !!

They didn't put the question "why would you be a good tester" because they don't have time to read even a tenth of that number. They are just going to invite peeps on a purely random basis and hope they hit some gold.

11. Delim

Delim Getting Started

Looks like tog wil have to play one side or the other if we want to group up and fight together!

Will players have the ability to change factions (for example: from Horde to Alliance)?
    No, but it will be possible to learn languages and communicate with players of the opposing faction.

Can the same account have both a Horde & Alliance character on the same Realm?
    This is still being looked at and is one of the many things that will be tested during the beta.

Will players be able to trade with members of the opposite faction?
    Currently no, but this is still being decided and will be watched closely in beta.

Will Horde and Alliance characters have the ability to gain faction points thus allowing them to utilize each other's cities?
    That's currently not the plan.

12. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

It seems we will be able to keep a close track of which way Blizzard is going during beta, because they are not going to be using an NDA, which should mean all beta testers right from day one will be able to talk about and publish any and all discoveries.

Personally I don't see a problem with picking one server and having TOG on the 2 different sides, particularly if you are allowed to have both Horde and alliance characters on the one account.

I know I have lots of fun playing Viper and Taipan in scrims, this would be no different on the one server, playing against the other TOG faction, so there might be TOG_HORDE, and TOG_ALLIANCE as 2 separate guilds.

13. DocKins

Has anyone receive any word on being a beta tester? I havn't really kept track of it, but I was wondering if the process for choosing beta testers has started yet.

14. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

no emails been sent out yet.

15. Raest

Raest Well-Known Member

Initially I wasnt too fussed about WoW....but after reading up on it and seeing the released videos...I'm going WOW! :D

If it delivers....bye bye SWG accounts.

16. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

The latest video, which I think shows how they went about developing the opening credits, is just awesome, it's amazing the amount of work and detail they seem to go into just for an opening movie.

17. Delim

Delim Getting Started

I have to disagree hotlead. MMO's unlike fps where the games are short lasts hours and hours for boss mob dungeon raids takes many many players. In fact blizzard has specficly stated the best loot will be dropped by raid size teams. Anyone who has played eq knows what this means. They even went so far to say that there will be some boss mobs that will take an entire realm/side to take down. So a division between tog'ers wont allow for us to be a single guild with enough power to make large game accomplishments. Obviously people will do whats fun for them and thats what gaming is all about. But, with our limited number of people entering into the game and then dividing the force between the two teams will be a big hinderance imo. I'd prefer to see atleast the vast majority of players start on 2 servers one good and one evil and then take it from there. Otherwise we will just be teaming up or joining other guilds, which isnt a terrible thing either. I think rickety has the right idea about us starting together as either horde or alliance on 2 different servers. JMHO

18. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

I agree Delim that we have number problems. At the moment a couple of friends and I are trying to turn that around for Aussies and Kiwis one player at a time.

In terms of playing on the one server, at the moment you can have a horde character and an alliance character on one server (upto 8 chars total) meaning that TOG could have the large guild raid for all alliance players one night, and then a horde raid a different night. This would be no different to two separate servers except that the ONE server would be the nominated DOWN UNDER server. I don't understand how nominating two different servers is better than spliting across one server (assuming you can have both factions on one server)

I do agree though that if Blizzard change their mind and only allow one faction on a server, than we will have to nominate 2 servers for us to play on.

BTW 12 months on EQ, 2.5 years on DAOC, I know all about generating numbers for raids, hence our drive for as many players in our timezone as possible joining together.

19. Delim

Delim Getting Started

Sure for beta where we can have both sides on 1 server this will be fine. I on the other hand was assuming that they are going to go live per the faq and divide the realms much like daoc. Which would preclude the two sides from working together. If they change the faq for when the game goes live then it will be no problems, guess we wait and see how beta plays out.

20. oldskool

oldskool Retired Moderator

This game can't come quick enough for me. I took a substantal break from EQ for about 3 years, until SWG came out. I'm really looking forward to playing a fantasy MMORPG again. Not EQ again NEVER :twisted: I also signed up for the beta and have recived no word as of yet.

Will any TOG memeber get in the Beta, Ready to start placing some bets?hehe

We can only hope :)