World of Warcraft: Generating Excitement!

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by GhostDog, Jan 19, 2004.

1. GhostDog

GhostDog Retired Administrator

Well, I've just started to read up a bit on World of Warcraft. Beta isn't far away, but was has got me really interested is the questing system and item drop system:

http://www.gamespy.com/previews/january04/wowpc/index.shtml

The first four pages of this preview paint a really good picture of a MMO game, in my mind. I definitely intend on buying this game!

Anyone else?

2. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

If all that is implemented it truly sounds terrific.
    BUT, I believe this won't be out till next year.

Also, why are all the inner circle for Blizzard leaving?

The Blizzard exodus continues as we've received word that Allen Adham has resigned from Blizzard. Many of you are probably thinking 'Allen who?'. Even though he may not have appeared as high profile as the Schaefers or Bill Roper, Allen actually Co-founded Silicon & Synapse (later named Blizzard) back in 1991 with Michael Morhaime and Frank Pearce, so as you can see he's been a major part of Blizzard's success. Allan worked on all Blizzard's titles, Rock'n Roll Racing, The Lost Vikings, Warcraft, Starcarft and Diablo and his most recent role was Vice President of Game Design at Blizzard.

3. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

GhostDog,

I for one am very excited and in fact some friends and I are starting up a fan site for Aussie Gamers for WoW (no age restrictions, though we may wish we had some)

Our ultimate goal is to get as many Aussie WoW fans to our site and agree to begin playing on a single server. The biggest problem my friends and I have had with MMOG's is the lack of peeps on a server in our prime time, typically aussies are spread across all servers, leading to a poorer in game experience.

I hope to be posting some news about the site soon.

HotLead

PS and Karmajay, I believe that most of the originals are leaving because they started as a small company and now it has grown into a huge place, they lack the hands on experience. Regardless the game does seem to be taking a long time to come.

4. GhostDog

Next year as in 2005? 8O And here's me getting all excited :(

On the official site they were talking about closed beta nearly ready at the end of last year and expect it to be early this year (i.e. soon).

5. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

According to Blizzard's site, the beta (for North America, Canada and Korea only) was supposed to start late 2003, but got pushed back to early 2004.

As far as I know, it hasn't started yet.

I know that some TOGs have signed up for it, so hopefully those that do get in to the beta will let us know when it starts.

6. DocKins

DocKins Well-Known Member

I believe I heard in another interview with Blizzard that the Beta stage is going to be a very fast stage. Blizzard wants all bugs basically nonexistant so that all the Beta tests will be for is server stability and lag treatment.

So I think once WoW goes Beta we can start counting by weeks when the game will be released.

7. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

If you need hosting for your site hotlead lemme know.

8. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

Beta signups are meant to start at the end of January, which ain't that far away. What scared me the other day though was a quote from the community manager

"Europe beta will start later this year"

now to me that means post July, but I hope she just means later this first half.

While I hope this game is out soon, I have a feeling Blizzard will take as long as they want, they have been developing the game for some 4-5 years already.

9. GhostDog

Well, I may have to wait 6 months or more, but I'm going to keep the excitement machine building!

Some official answers to question off of the WoW boards:

10. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

No mention of politics.

Dark & Light mentioned a sophisticated political system that must be engaged.

Even a monarchical type society where there are royal lines or titles that must be dealt with.

11. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

PCGamer has this tagged as being on sale like summer of this year....

12. Arienne

Arienne The Woman in Red Staff Member Administrator Moderator

That would be Winter here :)

So looking around June/July/August then?

13. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

Don't get too excited Cailith, the June date has been pulled directly out of thin air, the only place with a published date is EBGames.com (who have guessed), and everyone else quotes them on it.

Blizzard have definitely said, it will be done when it's done.

For you peeps who like being hyped check out http://worldofwar.net/articles/visit2004/index.php. These guys have just finished a visit to the offices of Blizzard and got a chance to play the Alpha and ask questions of some of the key developers (J Kaplan et al). Only 3 parts up so far, but looks to be a good read.

14. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Yeah the new industry standard...it will be out when we are done!

This is the new tag line for halo 2, also...Ain't gonna see this one by April..at least not 2004...

15. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

I think we will all have to keep the excitement for WoW at a low burn. A new article at WorldofWar.net (who recently visited Blizzard) have stated that though the signups for beta MAY commence at the end of the month, the game is not really in a state to start testing (by Blizzard's strict rule).

If the testing doesn't start till March, the game could be a while, though we can hope that the Alpha currently on will test all content, and the Beta is primarily for server stabilisation and large number ramp up.

16. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Good try HotLead..but the industry sucks.

Not Beta testing till the content and stuff is done will never happen.

Same as when Valve said at last years E#, 'Half-Life 2' is complete and will be released in Sept 03. They said they had taken so long so they could ensure no problems. Then they bumped it anyway! (This was before the whole hacker issue)

17. Nomisi

Nomisi Getting Started

Well beta sign-ups at least have made it "on time", if the definition of on time is your second or third guess :)

Blizzard just announced that beta sign-ups will begin at Wednesday 6pm US Pacific time, and run for one week. I am betting the site will crash with the initial influx.

check out http://blizzard.com/

18. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

What a shame us aussies cannot be a part of it ... :( As usually, we get screwed. *sigh*

19. Delim

Delim Getting Started

I'll be signed up make sure to post your in game name if/when you make it into beta.

20. Delim

Delim Getting Started

Forgot, I will be playing the evil races for those that are interested in grouping. Most likely a shaman or a casting class(1 of each) and then later Ill try out the good races. Im looking at a shaman and a mage, shaman will be orc and the mage will be undead. I dont know how the mixing of races will actually pan out for grouping. I havent read enough to understand how pvp or gvg will work out.