WoM Waste of Money

Discussion in 'Wargaming (Public)' started by mmrpink, Jan 15, 2012.

1. chunky04

chunky04 Getting Started

A more accurate description would be pay to reduce required grind times.

The capability of the tanks you drive has no possible to way to boost performance that cannot be produced via sufficient grinding without spending a single cent.

Therefore in each game you play you are not at a disadvantage.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  2. Masikai

Masikai Just Joined

I am with the majority of the people that have replied so far.

I’ve been playing WoT since closed beta. I have several top tier tanks. I have gone so far as to play in the dreaded Clan Wars with 5CAD. We have taken and held territory on several occasions.

So with this pedigree I can state for a fact that WoT is definitely not Pay2Win. Sure having a premium account makes the grind slightly less horrible because beyond tier 7 you will be playing a lot of games in the same tank. And even shooting premium ammo doesn’t mean squat since the damage done is exactly the same. The only difference between both ammo types is armor penetration. Which a skilled player can render useless with proper positioning and smart use of terrain.

As with any game if you find you’re having difficulty competing do a simple google search for tips and tricks. There are plenty of sites out there that will help you learn how the game work and all you have to do is modify your play style to fit the game mechanics and you will see your success rate go up, yes there will be times that no matter what you do your team will go full retard. All you can do in those games is do as much damage as you can before you die because in the end damage = credits and exp.

Regards Masikai

3. raggmopp

raggmopp Retired Captain

As has been said - you can pay to ease the pain of some long grinds, but it gives you no distinct mechanical advantage once on the field of play. As with Masikai, I've been playing off and on (mostly off) since closed beta. Great, low-timesink fun.

I mean, come on...it's TANKS!!!

4. Underd0g

Underd0g Just Joined

Gold tanks are fairly well balanced for their tiers - sure they are a little better, but the can get chucked in higher tier games like any other tank.

People using gold for ammo etc, are also looked upon with disdain in the middle tiers with slurs such as "goldfags" or "noobgolders" thrown around with the slightest provocation.

It's a great game given a bit of time to invest, and what they are looking at adding to it over the next 12 months or so is really exciitng.

5. Masikai

Masikai Just Joined

yes the 9.0 update is looking mightly interesting. updated graphics (higher polygone count so tanks look alot more realistic), better physics (yes you can flip a tank in the new update). turrets popping off like rockets.

6. Bytewaste

Bytewaste Getting Started

WoT is one of the most balanced games I play tbh. Spending real money is just a way to speed some things up, nothing more. You need never to spend any dime to get everything you want.

7. Clockwork

Clockwork Just Joined

I only started playing this recently. However I have paid nothing, F2P, and have gotten up to tier 5 KV-1. My opinion is that this game can be enjoyed without paying anything. If you play a lot, you can even win gold and tanks. (I don't play a lot) Sure you can pay for the extras like most games with F2P. Unlike some games, I think you can get to end game tanks without paying anything--but it is a bit of a grind. There are many games where you are severely limited if you do not pay something.

This game is not for everyone but since it's F2P, you can try it out, then uninstall if you don't like it.

As for premium tanks, have to agree with some others here. Yes, you have an elite tank with crew ready for perks/skills training but anyone can get any tank to elite status and also get crew perks/skills with time.

8. Flavius

Flavius Just Joined

WoT Free to Play

Free to Play is becoming more common for lots of games in the last couple of years.

To be honest, I spend the gold in WoT for a Premium Account and yes I did end up putting up some money to get a couple of Tier 10 tanks. My philosophy is that if everyone were to play for free, Wargaming wouldn't have the funding to enhance the game by including new maps, patches, etc.

You have to hand it to the Russians, they really nailed it with this.

If you like to spam gold rounds every round you play, then yes you can end up spending a lot of money on the game.

There is a grind to get your Tier 10 tanks, and it does cost a lot in terms of repairs, consumables and ammo when you play.

An experienced player knowing the weak spots on all of the different tanks he engages could easily take a tank out using standard ammunition.

Whether you pay or not is really up to you. But I have to say that people with deep pockets have an advantage in terms of making that grind quicker.

Having said that, there are lots of quests and missions that yield lots of credits, gold and tank rewards for those who are diligent without having to pay.

For people like me who have a demanding job and simply can't invest a lot of time, it is an option that allows me to keep up with my friends and clan mates.

Ultimately, this is one of the best PC games on the market and for me it was money well spent.

Looking forward to the World of Warships beta!!!

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  9. Clockwork

Clockwork Just Joined

Update: since I have been playing a bit longer now, I have a slightly different perspective.

I still think you can enjoy the game for free.

It's not a Pay to Win game but there are some obvious advantages for someone who spends money. If you have a lot of credits and gold, you can easily level up tanks (by spending gold on XP conversion) and having the credits to buy all the upgrades. You can also have better trained crew by spending gold and the best equipment with enough credits ( and gold to demount them). Gold or credits will get you premium ammo, that allows you to more easily penetrate and damage other tanks. Premium tanks, although in general not usually better than similar free tanks, sometimes have preferred matchmaking ( only see same tier or 1 tier higher in battles), and also generate more credits and XP per battle. Premium accounts also improve credits and XP per battle.

I saved up enough free gold ( from game specials, skirmish tournaments, etc) to buy a Churchill III on sale. It always turns a profit and am using it to train my KV1 crew--now almost done with 2nd skill.

Some of my friends bought higher tier premium vehicles to be able to play higher tier tanks with their clans and friends.

Having said that, my kids also play without premium account, or premium vehicle ( except the E25 I bought for all 3 of us before Wargaming removed it from the store). They never spend credits on crew training and start each new tank with 50% crew--unlike me who likes to grind my crew to 100% then spend credits to train at 90% for next tank. They are way better than me and have had some epic battles. One killed 9 tanks in his Tiger I. They both have tier 8 tanks that they ground out. I have a tier 7 tank now but can't wait to get my STB-1.

We all have fun. My win rate is 44%, solidly red, yet I've killed 2 tankers in a Team Battle who were supposedly way better than me, both blue on XVM.

I don't plan on spending much money on this game. I probably should not have bought the E25 for myself since I am bad in it but hope to improve.

I have been in several clans now and recently joined a clan some of my friends made. We're new but despite 90% or more strongholds tier 6 vs higher ranked clans, we've sometimes done quite well.

WoT is a fun game and you can play it for free. It is much more of a grind without premium account or buying gold, but definitely doable. People who spend money have advantages, but I'm sure I have killed many of them. Buying a premium tank does not make you a good player. There are several new perks that Wargaming introduced that help out players like the personal missions, which can be repeated and can generate a lot of credits. I love the daily login for 60 days for 50K credits, basically 3 million credits for logging in, some equipment for free, and 2 premium tanks( which you can sell for credits and keep garage slots or use for crew training).

I still do not enjoy WoWP( fix this please Wargaming) but I am looking forward to WoWS. I am very much looking forward to the new Overlord map--that looks so awesome, battle of Normandy.

10. Tzeentch

Tzeentch Retired Captain

XVM is only used by stat whores :bigsmile:

11. Masikai

Masikai Just Joined

/agree Tzeentch

i have it installed only to see who i should take out first :p