[Wolfenstein] First Impressions?

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by AlphaGamma, Aug 20, 2009.

1. AlphaGamma

AlphaGamma Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Got a bit worried when I read the iD forums and saw that the original Wolf development team were let go after it's release.

Then read this on cybergamer, good onya syd, shrap and tofu :)

Shrapmod 0.2

Syd's working with the guys who did the ETQWpromod, shrap has done his independently :)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  2. Bobcat

Bobcat Retired Captain

k I am going to go out on a limb here.........

I luv it :)

Is it exactly what I wanted in a game/what I am used to? no
    Would it be possible to create a game that is exactly what everyone wants? no
    Would it be smart to just re skin a game so it is what everyone is used to? no

Coming from an older style computer, i have not had the opportunity to upgrade to games that came out after ET, so I guess my expectations are a little less than everyone else.

You won't have to look hard over the net to find criticisms of the game, so here are the things I like FWIW

- Map Size/Team Size: Whilst to early to tell how it will go comp wise, smaller team sizes and maps will put more emphasis on strategy and team work (which I believe has happened in ET from 7v7 to 5v5)
    - Veil/upgrades: similar to xp in a way, but I look at it more as training. With all the money in the world you still have to choose which option you run with (you have a choice of the three weapon upgrades and can't put them all on at the one time). It won't take people long to fully upgrade and i believe it adds another level to the strategy. I hope ladders maintain this option.
    - Veil-speed/healing: What a great concept. Only 3 classes with a specific ability. Engy having the ability to run faster and/or build faster (not sure if you can only select one. Have earnt enough money yet). Adds the strat to have engy as doc carrier with med support (again teamwork)
    - Delay in objectives/having to look at objective-Not just grab and go, you need to stay there a couple of seconds, you better have good teamwork or you won't last long.
    - Options other than stopwatch for pub play - I think is a plus.
    - Shooting: More accurate than the hitboxes in ET. I find it honest shooting.
    - Engine: Hey I'm no techy. I got in, shot where I aimed. Died a bunch and got some kills. Seemed fairly smooth to me. (although can't wait for a class script to come out).

I jumped on last night for a bit. All being said and done, who were getting the most kills, guys like max and shaggy. Why? cause they are the best shooters around. (although I did find it easier to take down shaggy in Wolf over ET. I think my k/d against him would have been 3/15 or something.

In summary, I think for ladder play, more emphasis on strats and shooting seems honest. Pub play, couple of different types will add variety and smaller team numbers means you don't get the spawn/die/span/die night, that is GA7

3. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

First Impressions?

So guys, how does the game measure up? Single player fun? Multiplayer?

Read a few reviews and I'd have to say that haven't been that favorable. So, what do YOU guys think. Winner or turkey?

4. Ryo

Ryo Retired Administrator

Nabbed it today.

The single player seems fun. Multiplayer seemed a bit sluggish tbh, seemed a touch low on the fps side. Noticeably so for me more than the single player, which runs extremely well. Felt like engine lag, not latency.

But thats with about an hour on both, only very cursory tweaking. You know, back off the shadows, aliasing, restart game - normal stuffs.

We'll see. I did about 10 minutes scanning threads out there after I did that, I think others are finding the same thing.

If someone comes up with some fancy MP performance tweaks would love to hear em :)

5. Sneaky

Sneaky Getting Started

im with u bobcat and i did find it seemed to feel alot better on servers that only had around 10 ppl in it was way less of a axis spam fest :) maybe that has alot to do with the standard cfg i still run it could be fps issues but i seem to get a fair bit of lag when there is 10 ppl fighting on the screen at once

6. Rickety

So single player is good? Not too fussed on MP as I have other games for that.

7. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

With a new game release a comp mod should at first give admins more options for weapons and upgrades etc rather than alter the core game. At least give the default game a good run first and keep an open mind imo.

8. Rickety

I have merged both my First impressions and Thank goodness threads at Bobcat's request as they were similar. Picking the game up now :D

9. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

So should I get it??

10. Beavis

Beavis Well Torn Member and Previously Retired Captain

The SP reminds me of the first time I played COD + UO....love the weapons,I'm only part way through,but so far I'm enjoying it.The veil and other special weapons add another dimension to the game.

11. FluffyDice

FluffyDice Getting Started

Single Player is well worth it,
    Think of all the things you loved about RTCW and then add Max Payne bullet time to the mix, this is now included with the use of the veil ability, where you can slow down time as one of its powers and I think it is a very good concept.

This is not just a FPS you also have to solve puzzles to get to objs within the temples, and the towns where the game play is not linear, and you are free to explore the entire city with the aid of a map but are given enough help to find your next clues.
    then add he help of the veil to find hidden clues, this gives the game a new dimension which I feel works.

I Love the old style hidden treasures you had to find in previous versions of wolf but this one has the added depth of things such as picking the safe to get to the gold then having to open the draws and shuffling papers to find obj info needed.

sound - excellent
    graphics good
    gameplay good
    story excellent

==================
    Multi player

The Jury is still out on this...... but so far this is what I have found
    maps are smaller than expected,
    the obj play lacks the added dimension of previous versions such as the additional classes FOPS and COVIES, which I liked
    With the engineer now been ammo biatch, I feel this does away with that old strat do we run with fops to get ammo or an extra engineer to help defuse.
    now you have 3 styles of play - soilders that snipe, med whores and enges
    And where are the mines? - I miss them

I do believe that the airstrikes and arty were getting a bit old in ET as they were mainly used as a spawn camp tool.

Bob is correct about the objective taking longer to steal, if you have a good defense teams will never be able to even get to them as it takes to long to steal, then there the big red arrow on your head telling you where the docs are which I dislike bit like cod4 and this does away with sneaky strats to get to the docs.

with the added dimension of veil powers I have noticed that the better players hardly ever seem to die, less focus on shooting and more on using the abilities to not die, which is a pity.

I have also found that some of the top fraggers do tend to just sit in a spot and camp and wait for you to come to them.

dislikes -
    grenade not been able to select and prime as needed with mouse 1
    no mines
    missing classes
    erratic fps even with a high end comp core i7 running 2 x 4890 cards and with console commands tweaked still can seem to get stable FPS which leads to slightly erratic game play

no vehicles
    random spawn points to prevent spawn camping
    weapon upgrades, use the money to the best of your ability as you can only have one / weapon at a time, this means you dont get lvl 50 players as in COD with guns equipped to the max having the unfair advantage.

so would i still buy it = yes SP is worth it but MP will need a few tweaks like OPS did for wolf and ETPro did for ET

Ned and Beavis like this.
  12. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

Thanks for the write up FluffyDice!

The player arrows can be turned off/on server-side. My server will have friendly arrows only.

13. Spectre8

Thanks very much for that Fluffy - I'll be picking it up soonish :)

14. Bobcat

Bobcat Retired Captain

If any Toggers are interested, I have booked a Game Create server for tonight 8.30pm to see how it runs for comp play.

Jump into ventrillo (details in ET sticky) :)

15. AlphaGamma

AlphaGamma Well-Known Member Staff Member Moderator

Just noticed that pb has no setup to update Wolf2, it's just not listed :(

Will work on a config, and give it a few more tries.

16. Bobcat

Bobcat Retired Captain

Completed first level of SP last night.

I think the SP is quite good as well. As ppl have mentioned the bobroll is bad, but looks like it can be turned off.

Playing on the 3rd setting for difficulty and I must say they whilst the veil property that slows everything down seemed a bit like cheating initially, I found I was using it more and more as the level went on. Fair on the AI? well I guess when it's one against 20 or so, then yes.

The boss at the end of level one was fun. Had me squeeming from one side of my seat to the other, trying to get the right weapons and have enough in reserve to complete objective (no spoiler), as well as putting on empower and half speed, then topping up veil reserves, all whilst dodging the bosses swings and fireball things. Hearts racing just thinking about it :)

That's the first boss, can't wait to see the second.

17. Kaptain Reefer

Kaptain Reefer Well-Known Member

Best Fps ive played so far........will be playing it online as soon as i finnish the SP,,,,previously a BF2142 addict ..ive found my new game :)

18. Chavistah

Chavistah Active Member

promod is a big improvement so far

19. Spectre8

While not in the realm of titles like COD4, this is still very good, and very enjoyable! :)

COD4 for me is simply the best single player shooter out there, for its graphics, audio, story and playability. But what it doesn't have, is fun. Wolfenstein (so far) feels really loose and enjoyable for me! :) I like that there's a bit of old school exploration to find the gold/intel/tomes, and it's nice for them to actually hold some value in the game-world, unlike the original game! :p

So far loving it - just got to figure out how to take down the guys with shields!! :D

Anyway - had some fun with my rifle...

[​IMG]

20. Beavis

Beavis Well Torn Member and Previously Retired Captain

They have one 'doctor guy' giving them the shields ( limited radius),go a heat shot on him,or if you have mire go slow mo and waste him

Last edited: Aug 29, 2009
    Spectre8 likes this.