WiiU... anyone getting one?

Discussion in 'Hardware Talk' started by DangerMouse, Nov 8, 2012.

1. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Well-Known Member

We've per-ordered ours with a couple of games (Mario Bros. & Sonic Racing) :D

Unboxing by Satoru Iwata:

2. Spice.

Spice. Team Fortress 2: Vice Captain

I got burned on the Wii and I'm still not entirely convinced on the new controller.
    So I'm taking the "wait and see" option.

3. xenoph

xenoph Retired Captain

Same with me.
    i was thinking it might be nice for the boy, but he's a bit too young for it yet probably, and I already have an Xbox for my console gaming.

4. Tachyon

Tachyon Well-Known Member

My younger boys (1, 6 and 10) use the Wii more than anything else, so an upgrade may be in store this xmas!

5. Bonkman

Bonkman Active Member

I'm also taking a "wait and see" position on the Wii U.

Nintendo hasn't been very forthcoming with full details on the system and how its online functionality will work. Kinda spooks me.

I had to watch that video very carefully to discover that the Wii U will has an HDMI output on the back and comes with a packaged cable.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  6. DangerMouse

Nintendo has always been like this... dont know why though. :w

If you check here: Wii U You can see what packs come with what.

7. Rigdenball

Rigdenball Just Joined

I'm still waiting to hear more on their achievement/trophy system, will make a decision then.

8. Getafix

Getafix Retired Captain

My kids, 4 and 7 love playing PS3 together - Rayman Origins, Skylanders, Little Big Planet etc.

I never use it for gaming, as I have plenty of games to get through on my PC (and the graphics, urgh!).

Given that Nintendo tends to have plenty of kid friendly games, a Wii U is our planned joint Christmas present for the kids this year.

9. ohio.medic

ohio.medic Star Citizen Captain

I just picked one up today, haven't got to play it yet the first update is about 1 - 1.5GB and is a slow download. The new controller is surprisingly comfortable to hold. I'll update when I get to play. I bought Mario, and Zombie U, and Nintendo land came with it.

10. DangerMouse

:eek: Is that a system update?

Let us know how you go with it, we've preordered Mario and Sonic and I was looking ZombiU :)

11. Schizo

Schizo Well-Known Member

The most cursed sports city in the US: Buffalo, NY
    The big N has been disappointing to me for the last decade or so.

The Gamecube had some decent games, but they were decidedly fewer in number than some of the exclusives to the PS2.

I passed on the Wii. One of my roommates bought one when it came out. We played it for about a week, then it just collected dust until we all moved out of that apartment.

Big N has got to show me something besides some A-list first party games. Honestly, there are times that I wish Nintendo would follow suit with Sega and just stop producing hardware and become another 3rd party software company.

12. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

Here here. I second that notion.

13. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

Reports on the hardware aren't great, the CPU is the same as the one in the Wii just with double the cores, combined with fairly slow RAM. Apparently only 3 hours battery life on the controller too.

I'll wait until it's cheap and has a decent library of exclusives before considering it I think.

14. ohio.medic

ohio.medic Star Citizen Captain

Yes, that is a system update. It didn't ship with a lot of the software installed, from what i read about the only thing it does is play games out of the box. The download has the Miiverse and backwards compatibility among other software.

Haven't tested battery life of the controller manual states 3-3.5hrs, but you can get more by turning the volume down, and the brightness of the screen. Most functions are done on the controller, the main menu is on the controller screen rather then the tv, but that can be switched if you want to use the wii remote. The speed of the connection seems to be great stuff seems to happen on both screen at about the same time, downside is you can only get about 20 feet away from the console.

I don't know if it is the CPU slowing the system down or bad software. Launching any of the apps, or even the settings takes time seems to be about 15 seconds. You also have to wait that long when closing the app for the main menu to reappear. Also if you want to play a wii came you have to boot up the wii u, click on the wii app. then the whole system has to restart, and if you want to go back to the wii u another restart is required. Apparently this is also required for virtual console games as well.

Only game I got to play so far was Mario. It plays like past Mario games, which I have found to be fun. Of course being animation like graphics they look great in HD. Nice thing is you don't have to use your tv to play so you can play and have the TV on something else.

I'm with the couple of other people and wish they would just make games. It's not a bad system it's what the wii should have been. With Xbox and a new Playstation due soon it's gonna feel a generation old even though it's new just like the wii did. If it wasn't for Mario, Mario Cart, and Zelda most likely I wouldn't have bought the system.

15. Ranja

Ranja Well-Known Member

I bought one and we have really enjoyed it so far. We have only played Nintendo Land, the game that it came with so far. The entire family plays and we have a blast with it. I have preordered Super Mario U and ZombieU but still havent received them.

16. exploit

exploit Getting Started

I have one pre-ordered with ZombieU. I get every console on launch just because I can't help myself.

17. DangerMouse

18. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

I will get one - The controller life is a bit :( but since i did not get a Wii i will have plenty of game to play.

19. NackaJeem

NackaJeem Well-Known Member

We've owned a Wii for ever so I looked very, very hard at buying a Wii U, whilst considering the bundles on offer for the Xbox and PS3. I factored in the vast back-catalogue of XBox/PS3 games available, either new or second-hand, all in HD and some in Full HD.

We ended up getting an XBox 250GB system with Kinect and three games for $219.00. Somebody had printed the price ticket out incorrectly and they had to honour that price. Needless to say they took the sticker down after I bought it. My kids are having a ball just going through the game demos on XBox Live and are making a list of future purchases :)

For me, the gee-wizz factor of the Wii U wasn't enough to get it over the line, not with Wii U games being the price they are at the moment. I just wasn't prepared to invest that much cash into a system that I felt wasn't all that convincing.

20. okkervil

okkervil Active Member

well, i am all in on this thing.

xbox and 360 are going up for sale.

there are three problems as far as i am concerned.

1 clunky slow os, even post patch

2 no media streaming

3 pessimism

for mine, it is a bloody ripper of a unit with a world of potential. get on it.

*posting from it now, works a charm.