Why Pokemon GO's biggest fans are turning against it - staying power?

Discussion in 'Ingress & Pokemon Go (Public)' started by 2_islands, Aug 4, 2016.

1. 2_islands

2_islands Lead Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

The Age Newspaper: http://www.theage.com.au/technology...s-are-turning-against-it-20160802-gqiy6n.html

This article got me thinking about current thoughts of the game and whether or not I agree. I followed some of the links and read associated articles.

I've been playing for a couple for a couple of weeks, I find this game is extremely shallow and is unlikely to hold my attention. The only aspect that was exciting was catching a new Pokemon. Even my kids have lost interest. In the current form and direction, I doubt I'll be throwing any coin at this game in the foreseeable future. I'll stick to the free play as this offers some value for money. So the thoughts expressed in the article resonate with me.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2016
  2. Joyau

Joyau Getting Started

Lost interest here. You quickly run into the pay to play aspect of the game. It was good for a while...

3. Joyau

Joyau Getting Started

Edit: reading the article in depth I was amused by the rage that needs or glitches in the game invited in it's player base. Basically the game is what .. ? In beta ? It was frustrating to be constantly kicked off the servers or to have to capture something again because the first one disappeared. I personally found it s handy tool to work on my sons 'emotional toolbox' with his Aspergers. We set up goals... Googled a tool to add to the box.. Went out and when those frustrating moments appeared would (ideally) use the tool. In reality sometimes we used the tool and sometimes mean mum drove home !

As as for the chest pounding millions? Ugh. You come across them in gaming All the time. Rage quit because this or that in the game was nerfed. Sulk because you died. Or something you owned in the game died. Or you lost some equipment. The amount of times I almost lost my eyeballs rolling my eyes while some player or other raged on about something is countless. It's hard work finding a group to play with that will roll with the flow.

In the end it's a company making money. You decide whether the investment was worth it. Apparently semaphore was the place to go in adelaide and I did go for a drive there once. We never made it there were soo many spots on the way.

This is is the first game I've played where you actively got out and were social. Albeit hovering over phones. I was dragged all over cold Victor Harbor with my son, 3 friends and their mothers looking for the damned things. Now there you go. THAT bought out the rage in me! Like my ears are numb.. Can we have a damned coffee now?? Please ??

We.. As I said.. Lost interest and moved on. I did start thinking that geocaching and other such games sound really interesting as s result of playing this.

The article doesn't state.. And I did tweak my ears.. At the dangers in the game. Paedophile sable to use the game to lead them to where children are. poke lures for the purpose of robbing people. Etc.

Cheers xx

4. 2_islands

This is the best part of the whole game. I've not seen so many people walking up and down our main street. Shop keepers getting in on the act by planting lures.

5. Joyau

Joyau Getting Started

I didn't mind all the other times I went out .. Just that one.. X

6. Hippy222

Hippy222 FPS Bartender and Still standing ... Captain

I have a mate that runs a coffee shop, he is lucky enough to have a stop at his business. He has a lure running at all open times, which he has advertised on a A frame and said he has never been more busy.
    As for myself, im still enjoying the increased family time this game has brought to my house hold. Im hoping the daily walks to catch pokemon become habits.

7. 2_islands

The town has come alive.

8. paradroid

paradroid Well-Known Member

A shooping centre near me is giving away battery packs for pictures taken from the app and shared to their facebook page.

9. Dekay

Dekay Warframe Officer

Our local estate has a facebook page. One of the "busybodies" posted there were some nefarious characters hanging around at about 1230 on a Saturday night so she let her dogs out. A reply to the post was another lady who lives in the same street and she stated she heard the same goings on at the same time. She went out and spoke to them. They were catching Pokemon. What is this world coming too.

10. 2_islands

I can't help it. When I find myself with a spare moment, I find myself catching some Pokemon. Bloody addictive little game to pass the time.

11. Sysmon

Sysmon World of Warcraft Captain -= SILVER Patreon =-

It's great! I take a walk round the quiet seaside town of Eastbourne, New Zealand, round lunch time. The route gets me past about 6 pokestops and possibly a gym if I feel aggressive. There's a concentration of Pokemon round the local school, but if I want to catch anything I head to Wellington or nearby Petone and find a cafe with a lure active.

But yes, it is shallow. Which doesn't matter, it's nicely unassuming and unambitious, so I can make of it what I want. Haven't spend any money on it yet, but probably should buy a few coins to at least show my appreciation.

:D S

12. The Old Goat

The Old Goat I want to eat your homework... Moderator

I don't like rats and birds. Give me something new, like a blackberry bush.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 14, 2016