Which cheap collection RPG would you choose?

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Lythe, Jan 10, 2005.

1. Lythe

Lythe Getting Started

The following RPG's are really cheap ATM, and I'm not too sure as to which I should choose to buy/play for my single player fix...

Baldurs Gate 2 Collection
    Icewindale Collection
    Morrowind GOTY Collection
    Neverwinter Nights Platinum Collection

I'm curious to know who's played what and which is worth the investment?

2. Sloffe

Sloffe Well-Known Member

I doubt that you could go wrong with any of those choices. NWN is probably your best choice if you want to play online whereas Morrowind is the best choice for 3D FP perspective and if you only want a single character or an openended storyline. Baldur's Gate and Icewindale are both more storyline driven games. If you're interested you can also pick up the Might & Magic games in the bargain bins. Other games to keep an eye out for would be Planescape: Torment, The last Wizardry game (number 9 I think) and Dungeon Siege. You should be able to pick up any of these fairly cheaply now although I'm not so sure of their availability at the moment.
    Zest have NWN:platinum, Vampire:The Masquerade, Might & Magic IX, Star Wars:KOTOR, Gothic II, Icewind Dale and a few others available at decent prices, Just Check the language requirements for each game.
    Have you considered World of Warcraft? If you'd like a bit of online RPGing then I'd recommend over all the others. And as an added bonus you can join one of the TOG guilds and get to know some of the people in these forums :)

3. Lythe

Lythe Getting Started

Good call mate, always on the money.

4. Masque

Masque Getting Started

NWN is definitely worth the investment because you can download SO many modules for it, the game is basically never ending. Then toss in the online playability and you have an whole new dynamic to the game. If you're looking for a game to fill in those downtime gaps that you can come back to after a couple of months for a whole new experience, I'd have to say NWN is it.

Morrowind is really good too. The game is huge (which I'm sure you know) so it will allow MANY hours of play time. I did play that too, but I was kind of overwhelmed with the world, to be honest. It's a very impressive game, but I think it's a game which you really need time to invest into to get the most out of it.

5. Sloffe

Sloffe Well-Known Member

Another budget RPG available is Arcanum which is in the "Best seller" series and costs around $20. Haven't played it myself but PCPowerplay magazine thought it was good.

6. CutItUp

CutItUp Active Member

Arcanum was fun to play. Very similar to Fallout & Fallout 2, another two old games that are worth the play time.

But they are all a little different (not a lot of magic) compared to Baldurs Gate, Icewindale, Morrowind and Neverwinter Nights which are all good games also.

7. Sar

Sar Active Member

My first pref from that lot would always be the BG collection - upwards of 600 hours gametime there!

MW is ok, but I got bored with it after a while, ditto NWN, although there are (finally) some decent modules available.

Icewind Dale is a cousin of BG, but takes more of a Diablo, hack-n-slash approach to XP.

As Sloffe said, Kotor 1 is also very very good.

8. Mort

Mort Just Joined

My choice would be the BG collection as well...I've been playing BG2 off and on since it came out and I've still not finished it (now where did I put those disks). Intriging story that just gets bigger & bigger in scope.

I've got NWN but I never really got into it...I think because I was so used to having a party of chars in BG / Icewind.

9. Ralakan

Ralakan Retired Advisor

Planescape: Torment

itali-bold-colored for truth

fallout 1 was also quite good

10. Sloffe

Sloffe Well-Known Member

Just a quick update: KOTOR 1 is now a budget bin release at around $20

11. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

I was waiting for that one :D

Although I never played it, its story and environment was apparently very well done.

Baldars Gate(s/I/II) was very linear, you can miss some quests, and it has class specific quests. Didn't really see the replayability in it.
    But. It was and is a great game.

Icewind Dale
    Unlike Baldars gate was more of a dungeon smash and bash from mentioned reviews.

NwN
    Nice. And has a huge community supporting it due to the ability to play 'modules'. Whole adventures downloaded (you can even download an eye of the beholder type module).
    Plus, you can team up with a friend in it easily enough.
    And, if you really get into it can have a DM play with you and some other adventurers. Something the rest of the games I believe lacked.

All that aside, it has just as strong 'sp' element to it.