What would you want as a new FTB server?

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by Sorontar, Mar 29, 2013.

?

Which FTB variants would you prefer (can select multiple)?

Poll closed Apr 5, 2013.
  1. Ultimate

16 vote(s)
    69.6%
  2. DireWolf20

6 vote(s)
    26.1%
  3. YogCraft

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  4. MindCrack

14 vote(s)
    60.9%
  5. MagicWorld

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
  6. TechWorld

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  7. Lite

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  8. Retro

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. Voxel

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. VoxelBrony

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. RPGImersion

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  12. Ampz

2 vote(s)
    8.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

With a new server host may come new possibilities. It is obvious that players would like to have something like a Feed The Beast server running. So far we have tried FTB Beta and FTB MindCrack, but there are many other possibilities. Each has its own pluses and minues in what it has and its longevity. As was explained at the discussion tonight (http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum...nt-friday-29th-march-7pm-aedt-discussion.html), there are other admin considerations as well, but I would like to hear what you as players would want in a FTB server.

The poll will give us an idea of your preferences, but please explain your choices. FTB is so large that we find it impossible to understand what each player likes about it.

Also, would you like any other Forge mods to go with it. For now, presume that we will just use a bare bones FTB modpack, but if you think that any other mods would vastly improve and/or enhance the game, please tell us.

Finally, also say whether you would want to start a new world, return to the existing Mindcrack world or have a new world with the spawn city added.

So:

Why I like that FTB variation

Another mod to consider

New or old world

We are not expecting a majority decision here, just guidance for future decision making.

Sorontar

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  2. marvelmanic

marvelmanic Retired Architect

I would prefer the same world to come up. Invested time makes me cringe at the thought of starting over.

BUT...If we were to start over, I wouldn't mind going up to Ultimate. It is very similar to Mindcrack with a few extra additions.

3. gasman

gasman Retired Captain

I like the look of the Ultimate pack - seems like a good mix of mods.

Keeping the old world? Not sure - I have been putting in a lot of time, but a clean slate is also appealing. Probably happy to go either way.

EDIT: After sleeping on it, I'm going to say new world. I can live with losing the good stuff I had, since the mistakes go too. I have a much better idea what to do now. I think from a support side of things that sounds like it would make life easier for the new server too.

Last edited: Mar 30, 2013
  4. Cheith

Cheith Active Member

I think either Mindcrack (which I enjoy for its variety and complexity) - though I focus on more the industrial side of it and green energy - or maybe Ampz with the common power theme (I may try this out on my home server) if we are looking for something that is lighter on the server than Mindcrack, but still with an industry/science bent. Ideally I would like a pack with Traincraft in it (but if not I'll get over it :) ).

I have not seen any additional mods that I care about particularly - while some of Mo Creatures is good I am not overly bothered about it in general.

New or old world is fine by me. I have a lot of stuff, but if it goes then it goes. Maybe on a new world I will actually mine some iridium ore rather than making it from uu-matter or platinum dust!!

5. Misnik

Misnik Retired Architect

I threw the ringer vote in there for Magic World. I like it as it still is closer to the game of Minecraft without being too left field. It still has pipes and the forestry based machines, but doesn't go crazy with all the extra stuff which to me really takes away from the actual game.

Mindcrack I might play if we host it, but I don't think I'd log on to an ultimate pack server at all.

I would say no to Mo's purely because it has issues with alternate worlds. On our current mindcrack server the Myst worlds and Twilight world was almost completely devoid of reg monsters due to Mo's. Which to me really takes away from using the extra dimensions.

6. Deweyoxberg

Deweyoxberg Well-Known Member

Though I liked my panda (=^.^= Obsi), Mo's was overload.

I could see it on a vanilla server, though.

Whatever mods/pack comes in the future, can we please keep Blutricity/RedPower; that stuff is just... I can't even... drool....

Xycraft... I might be convinced, but the textures need some serious love before I can remotely support it. I did like the look of some of the blocks.

Linkbooks was nice.

Also, sometime ago I played on a server (Tek) where the hosts created "resource" dimensions. In short, this was the only place quarries et al were allowed; the "main" world was reserved strictly for construction.

It was nice as it could be disabled (but not deleted) as a whole, and could be reset/regenerated on a frequent basis, Mod was something like multidimension or some jazz.

7. DarkDuck

DarkDuck Guardian Captain

8. Aveege

Aveege Active Member

I vote for Mindcrack or Ultimate. I love so many things about this modpack. Buildcraft, computercraft, redpower, industrialcraft(Love my Construction foam!), twilight forest., extra biomes, all those bees to learn, so many reasons to play and im even sure i missed some. Oh It doesnt come in standard mindcrack but in ultimate it does and i love it, mystcraft, i love the portals.

Also i would like it to not have Mo Creatures, as mentioned it does cause other worlds to be devoid of life and for causing massive issues due to being a improperly coded mod(according to all the forums).

9. HenriDeacon

HenriDeacon Retired Captain

Maybe also a later poll of Easy or Difficult Gretech recipes. The difficult recipes were frustrating.

10. Emeraldknight

Emeraldknight Active Member

I voted for Ultimate, Direwolf and mindcrack.
    Ultimate as it includes everything.
    Direwolf as it doesn't have gregtech
    Mindcrack cause I like it.

I wouldn't mind greg tech if it increase in difficulty. EG. the first quarry you build is normal then each one after that gets harder and harder till it gets to the difficult stage. That way it increases in complexity as you play.

11. Irimar

Irimar Retired Captain

Well, Greg has decided that you need a diamond drill to build a quarry now, and that takes titanium. There are a few other fun ones in the current version, but that stands out to me. Although I just use turtles now anyway, so it really doesn't bother me.

12. Emeraldknight

I've ben using that quarry receipe for ages. Thats why I was complaining when OJ, Nas and my quarries kept disapearing.

13. DarkDuck

DarkDuck Guardian Captain

The idea behind Gregtech is to make things like quarry end game, to try and extend the life of the game opposed to allow the mods to take over.

Still like Direwolf.

14. marvelmanic

marvelmanic Retired Architect

I hated gregtech when I first started the FTB server.

My personal server doesn't use it, so I was used to the simple forms of things.

But after using it for a while now, I kind of like it. It adds to the challenge, gives you more to work for, which gives a better sense of accomplishment.

I have always had the issue of quitting games who were too easy. I feel Gregtech helps extend this feeling by giving me more time to work for things.

15. Misnik

Misnik Retired Architect

I would say most of gregtech seemed decent to me. I makes most of the machines stepped into different tiers. Before Greg you just got to the end and be done, after it you actually have to use a bit more machines and items to get to that point. So I did feel a better sense of accomplishment as well.

I do like the comment made that we could outlaw mass quarries in the main the world, and use a myst world that is the strip mine world. I would say something like we were originally going to do world in that X number of blocks around the spawn/portal point no quarries are allowed. You can use this area to make bases/warehouses etc though. Then delete/regenerate the area past X every few months as felt needed to refill resources. [note: I still think you should be able to use turtles etc for making/clearing of actual constructions, bases, or tunnels in any world under supervision.]

16. Deweyoxberg

Deweyoxberg Well-Known Member

That is what I've experienced, Misnik: a sectioned off area with a regen on the rest of the world outside of the borders.

17. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

I have seen some servers that have placed an outright ban on quarries, mining lasers, computers, turtles etc. Tell us if there are any FTB elements you think should be banned and why.

Sorontar

18. D3lthar

D3lthar Retired Captain

Honestly imo if a server was to ban certain things that the modpack had available, would it not be better to play a different mod pack that doesn't allow for types of advancements.

As for the OP I would choose Ultimate & Fresh start so that we can all work on a new spawn together.

19. Akira Doe

Akira Doe Active Member

Under normal cirsumstances I would agree, but this is FTB and it's hardly normal no matter how hard we try. What I mean is, certain elements may have to be removed or restricted for server quality since not everything plays nice together or some items when used incorrectly can cause server wide problems, both with stability or with misuse of that mod. Rubber Boots was another example.

I don't think that we should try to find a pack that is perfect otherwise we'll end up having to make our own.

That said, I did see something in the launcher that mentions Private Pack. I've not yet looked into what that it, but I'd hope it would give us a change to decide what we want on the server then create a private pack, share the code with the division and let the launcher do all the setup for us. It's probably not how the private packs works but it would be nice.

I'm not sure on the distribution rules but we could also setup at the least a self extracting winrar/zip file that if you choose the path of the FTB folder it will put all of the additional mods we need (when chosen) in the correct location to help TOGers get setup?

20. Emeraldknight

I agree with D3lthar, if your not going to use a mod pack set of items then don't use that mode pack. Mod packs are designed arround each item to add playability so if you start removing a item or two you are just crippling the game play.