What Is D&D? Interesting Video and Comments! -)

Discussion in 'Pen and paper games' started by Dolnor, Aug 22, 2018.

1. Dolnor

Dolnor Bane of Crickets

Full Disclosure: I have left some comments. They aren't short comments. I have a reputation to keep! -)

TQQdles™

2. QueensKnight

QueensKnight Active Member

Eastern Daylight / Standard Time (UTC - 4 / 5)
    I find it interesting that it took him 20 years of playing D&D to come to this epiphany. (That takes him back to... 2nd Edition but around the time that 3rd was coming, I think.) He tells us he's still thinking things through and I'm thinking he'll find it beneficial.

Dolnor likes this.
  3. Larzous

Larzous Getting Started

No, it he knew anything like Guy, D&D can easily be a roleplaying game. It all comes down to the GM, the players expectation and the story created by the GM.

4. Dolnor

Dolnor Bane of Crickets

I am currently playing in 5 games in-person.
    • Game 1 started out with a younger DM in Dec 2017...which has been running for a long time. (we are level 8-9). We are still playing this game sporatically.
    >> Then the DM wanted to be a player so one of our players became the DM for a month. His game (game 2) was played until Sep 2018 (we are level 3-4).
    >> Then the new DM wanted to start another game as a one-shot (game 3). But we had soo much fun...we go back to it once in a while (we are level 1-2).
    >> Game 1 through 3 are run on a rotation. Game 1 runs a month (weekly). Then Game 2 runs 2 weeks. Then Game 3 runs 2 weeks. Then back to Game 1 for 4 weeks. Rinse & Repeat.

• Game 4 started in Feb 2018. We play occasionally...usually 3-5 weeks between games. We are level 5.

• Game 5 started 1 month ago and plays ever 3 weeks. It is following the DCC (dungeon crawl classics) ruleset. We are level 1. But I am about to quit this game because the other players (alll young) would rather talk about tv shows, movies, other games, drawings, looking at their phones, etc...than play the game. I've had to mention twice in the last game that we aren't gettting anywhere. The DM isn't corralling in the game. If it continues the next game (Jan 19), I plan on dramatically quit mid-game. Maybe my leaving will straighten out the rest and it follows a fruitful path/time-well-spent.
    (This is a shame because there is a new player that played once, a newcomer to D&D-esque games who is a writer. She is middle aged and interested but all the cross-talk is confusing her.)

All the games I enjoy are 50% combat and 50% roleplaying. The DM of games 2 & 3 loves bringing out his "npc voices" which is why he wanted to DM.

I am the 'record keeper' of games 1,2,3,5. I create Google Docs and write up the games. That way, if anyone joins or returns, they have a bit of reading to catch up to where the party currently adventures.

TQQdles™

Last edited: Jan 5, 2019
    MudDart likes this.
  5. Ninja Gizmosis

Ninja Gizmosis Communications Manager Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I too am in the middle of multiple games using the Roll 20 universe.
    We play weekly with one long term game that I was lucky to be able to join.
    The games are normally on rotation with the main game normally every second week.

MudDart likes this.
  6. Dolnor

Dolnor Bane of Crickets

Our local gaming store, Gaming on Grand, decided to try streaming our D&D game as an experiment. He is using a really cheap webcam not much else. He has streamed other games using the same setup but those were for Warhammer 40k, Star Trek, etc. which have a static play-area. We'll probably be moving the camera next Monday to show more of the table. I am the old guy with the white beard in the upper right corner. There were 5 players at the table + the DM at the far end...we need to get more on the camera. One guy who plays "Steve!" needs some camera time, he really gets into the game! -)

TQQdles™

MudDart likes this.
  7. MudDart

MudDart Getting Started

I'm currently in two in person 5E games. We play on the 1st and 3rd Saturdays of the Month. The first one, we started in Ocy 2017, which is also my first game in more than 20 years, is a hombebrew game of a friends. The second one DM'd by the same guy is from one of the books. We started that one about 6 months ago.

I'm also dipping my toe in the DM side by running my 12 year old thru Phandelver.

Dolnor likes this.
  8. Dolnor

Dolnor Bane of Crickets

About Lost Mines of Phandelver: The second group formed in Feb 2018. Originally playing at a fellow players "community room" where she lives...we eventually moved to another player's private home so we could have lunch and a much quieter and relaxed environment. In that group, the DM was new at it and one of the other players had DM'ed Phandelver twice...and now he is a player in the game. And we are playing Phandelver! So that one player has to keep his mouth shut and let the group decide where to go/what to do. He's done a great job NOT GUIDING US or Warning Us...we almost TPK'ed twice so far!

And the third group game, Tom's 2nd game (Tom was a player, Angel was the DM) started out as just a one-shot. We rolled stats top to bottom with 3d6 without choosing where the numbers went. Started the game at Level 0 with 5 hit points. We rolled on a table to see what our "town profession" was...I ended up being a cook. We all had great times in that game, just goofing off, all expecting to die quickly. We enjoyed ourselves so much...we play it per my previous posting. And Tom has morphed it into Phandelver!!! So now I am like the player in the Second Group...I have to keep my mouth shut and let the group decide what to do (I told the table I was playing the same game in another group...I like to be forth-coming to all my friends).

In the second group, we are 1/2 way through the Wave Echo Cave (already did the goblin cave, the Ruined Chateau, wraith, undead, orcs, Cragmar Castle). Tom's game we finished the goblin cave through fighting the orcs, and just returned to Phandelin.

Here is the Official Dungeon & Dragons staff doing a Beta Test of the game before it was released (I just found this on YouTube)!

TQQdles™