Welcome!

Discussion in 'Free to grind' started by HenriDeacon, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

thought I toss this one at yall

Dragon Oath ? No.1 Free Fantasy MMORPG with 75 Million Global Players ?Play Free online games from ChangYou.com

I am bad at review writing so I'll just give a brief about it
    If your familiar with 9Dragons , the Story is basically the same, and so are the classes, but it is a different game, I started playing this 3 days before OpenBeta, which it is still in OB. not quite 2 months yet in OB.

the game is just not clicking with me, but that's me. you get pets, and they have daily events. They just started the Item Mall a week ago. I don;t Item Mall, specially if I have no $ any ways, So I am not sure what is available.
    your No class for the first 10 levels, after you reach level 10 you can choose a class. Attributes are automatic distributed till level 30 after that then you can add where you want your point(s) to go. Also, you are automatic leveled up to lvl 10, after that you have to go into your character info and level your self up, that is because you also use the same exp points to level up your skills.
    Only one server . . they say there is lots of Drama, but I have the "Yell" (world/Global) chat turned off, so I do see it. there are no X2 exp events, your actually given 5 hours, and resets every week. So you can choose when you want to use x2 exp. Best times is during one of the daily events, where you can earn higher exp from killing the mobs there.
    PvP, there are Maps where you can freely PK without getting any penalty against you, called crime points.
    I find the inventory is too small, and so does every one else, you can get something to increase the size but it is not enough, after 10-15 minutes your inventory is full, which bytes if your using X2 exp at the time, so you have a choice to just drop or,not pick up, or run back into town to sell to a NPC.
    If you do the daily events, gaining levels is fast, if you just grind a lot slower. First 20 levels are quick just from quest, but after levels 20 quest they are spread apart, basically ever 3 levels till you get any new quest. there are some loop quest, that you can repeat over and over. I did not find them attractive enough to keep repeating till after I was Lvl40.
    After you level 40 you better take some time and get your skills leveled up if you have not been.
    they have a anti bot feature, where a picture shows up, and you have a multiple choice to answer what is in the picture, you answer wrong or not answer in the time allotted you go to Jail. not sure what happens there, only been there once for choosing the wrong answer, but I was able to talk to the NPC there, and guess it is just a matter of choosing the correct action , I must've picked the right one because I was outta Jail, which was weird because the one I selected was " I am just walking out of here" :w lol what good is it to be sent to jail then say "see Ya" and walk out.

They also have other versions, so they do have IP Bans , the version I play is the US version which is open to NA & SA, which I found strange to include a non English but Ban those where English cam from. Oh and if you use anything other then English in the Yell, you will be punished, starts with being muted to use chat for certain amount of time to being Banned

I better stop rambling on and just end this here, if you have any question I could try and answer them, I may update this with the template, just I am a bit bias about the game at the moment

=========

Name: Dragon Oath
    Genre: Historical/Fantasy (set in ancient China during the time of the Song Dynasty in 960 AD)
    Style: MMO RPG
    Combat Style: Button mashing/Auto-attack
    Learning Curve: Unsophisticated
    Crafting: easy [ accumulating materials for crafting can be easy to rigorous to obtain or “They want How much ? “]
    PVP: Obligatory / Deliberate [Open PK, except in towns. some maps you can earn Crime points, that's a bad thing]
    Role-Playing: if it’s there I don’t see it
    Leveling style: Level based, you increase your skill from your level exp
    Server Pop: reasonable
    Stability: still in Open Beta, in it’s current state, smooth , one server

Immersion: 6/10
    Graphic Quality: 5/10
    Sound Quality: 8/10
    Content Quality: 5/10
    Overall Rating: 5/10
    I am being very Bias about the rating, so don’t judge my ratings what the game should be, I just not getting into this game much, but I do believe it is a good one, just it is not working with me.

Brief Description: Read above the template.

There was one Con I do need to mention, it is the Camera View. not much, but, if you go to the Wiki or the Forums there is a thread that explains how to fix it to your comfort in the System Bin
    , also movement, is all done with the mouse or click on the map

Other Comments
    : Pet’s, Mounts, Events . . this game has it. and it is a small client
    File size : 602MB
    Client version : DragonOath-0.50.7630
    Released: November 04th, 2009 (Open Beta)

This game kinda sets you back to games 10 years ago ,
    it has a Wiki WikiDo

Payment options: Free & Micro(Item Mall)

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
    Ariya likes this.
  2. Ariya

Ariya Retired Captain

Looks like it has a bit of every f2p I have been playing for the last years. The small inventory in new games lately is so ennoying ! I can understand that they have to make money by selling things like inventory expansions in the item shop, but this is getting ridiculous on some of these games.
    Daily events are a great thing though, that breaks the grinding pattern a bit.
    I don't think I'll try this one though, because I hate having to play it on a server that is only accessable for a certain part of the world. I love playing with my Australian friends , so I 'm not sure this would be possible in this case.

3. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

Yeah, , that might be the reason why the game is not working out for me, for over a decade, I would say about 90% of the players I play with were either European or Australian , and now I am playing with my own Country and that one down South I do not like playing with. (It’s a Language thing, not what you might be thinking ).
    It’s just not a crowd I am used to playing with
    I think the game is fairly good, just I cannot get into playing it. and that may be why.

4. Ashlann

Ashlann Retired Moderator

...I see Ariya has kept it pretty quiet that she was a guest on the Games Industry Podcast this week!

She discusses Free To Play MMO with us in episode #15 - have a listen:)

5. Ariya

Ariya Retired Captain

Haha, thanks Ash for the announcement ! You can hear more about our adventures in Guild Wars in this episode aswell. Ashlann and me started playing on this mmo a few weeks ago and we are loving it so far. Guild wars is not subscription based but you do have to buy the game in order to be able to play it.
    I'll write a proper review on this as soon as I have the time.