Vanguard SOH

Discussion in 'Free to grind' started by Iamden84, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Iamden84

Iamden84 Active Member

California, but I play mainly Oceanic and US dayti
    Vanguard is going f2p this summer (vgplayers website). I will definitely revisit this game.

2. sschrupp

sschrupp Getting Started

hehe yeah one of my buddies and I just re-subbed and have been having a good time. I'll be interested to see what they plan on doing and if they'll be updating the game at all to compete with more modern games.

I mean graphics-wise the game still looks great, but some things are still pretty old school. Like their quests are still the old "Travel 2 billion miles away to do something that involves killing lots of things in order to find a few rarely dropped items and then come back." Thankfully I love the Bard in this game so that makes traveling 2 billion miles away take little time.

Of course now my friend can't stand to play without me because everything else is so incredibly slow without the Bard speed.. lol.

Other than the style of quests though this game really does have a lot of the features that newer games now have. It really was ahead of its time when it came out.

They also need to do something about the "chunks". My newish system handles crossing over the chunk lines fairly well, but my buddy's older system hangs on them for a bit.

Overall I think it's a great game and with some time and money thrown at it the game could really be wonderful. So with the F2P it sounds like it will be getting that. We'll see what they do with the extra attention!

3. xenoph

xenoph Retired Captain

A bit behind here... Hadn't noticed this thread.

Looking forward to Vanguard being F2P. I tried the trial, and was very close to starting playing it, but I couldn't justify three subs at once at the time.

4. Kageru

Kageru Getting Started

It should have gone free2play years ago. It probably would have funded a larger dev team than SoE gave the game and some chance to build on the decent mechanics the game had.

5. sschrupp

sschrupp Getting Started

Yeah, once games started going F2P I know a lot of people were hoping Vanguard would too. Then they did EQ2-X or whatever and people were sure it would. And then... and then... but finally, now it is! lol

6. swirlsie

swirlsie Getting Started

yeah looking forward to it also, its a great game just not worth the subs at this point

7. DogBone_AU

DogBone_AU Just Joined

always had a soft spot for this game, migth be time to dust off ye olde mousepad and do an epic comeback

8. Medrall

Medrall Active Member

definitely interested as well

9. Dread

Dread Well-Known Member

No dates being mentioned? Guessed? Hypothesized??

10. Piro

Piro Just Joined

I have just started playing VG. I needed a new MMO and it was between this, LOTRO and DDO. Still haven't got around to trying LOTRO but I am loving VG.

I'm on he US server. I have a Bard (Yogghurt) and a Cleric (Ezalum). If anyone has a guild I can join hit me up in game!!!

11. Iamden84

Iamden84 Active Member

California, but I play mainly Oceanic and US dayti
    The official website (vgplayers.station.sony.com) is not specific on a release date, only states summer 2012. I will be subbing before the end of May most likely. If you do there are some rewards.

12. xenoph

xenoph Retired Captain

I had actually, again, forgotten about this. Time to find out if I remember my username and pass for SOE...

13. Tinoberserker

Tinoberserker Just Joined

Restrictions for free to play are ridiculous. Only able to wear common gear?? Thats just silly.

14. xenoph

xenoph Retired Captain

That's really bad.

I don't see anything about things being unlockable through the Marketplace... but I would assume it is? If it's only a choice between free and gold to get access to things, they could've stuck with only subscription.

15. Asbo

Asbo Getting Started

I just re-subbed and started a new toon on the US server too as the EU server is dead as a door nail. My toons names are...Egomancer lvl 11 Necro Gobo, Wardancer11 Lvl 14 Druid Human, Mischievous Lunatic lvl 8 Dwarf Paladin which is on the starter Isle still.

Send me a tell if you want to hook up and if the guild have players on there let us know maybe we can get it together.

Asbo.

16. Tinoberserker

Tinoberserker Just Joined

Well the free to play model is looking a bit better. Seems they actually listened to the playerbase.

17. Asbo

Asbo Getting Started

So are you playing on the test server then?

18. Sloffe

Sloffe Well-Known Member

It's been announced that the f2p will commence on 14th of August.
    The thing i'm sad about are the starting areas. By restricting those they're blocking access to a lot of the backgrounds of these races. TOG members will remember the fun we had rolling goblins and orcs together. My first toon I rolled was a half giant (the norn in GW2 probably owe a lot of who they are to vanguard) and it was a great experience, same with the kurasasha (the cats) and others were all memorable which was a tribute to the work they put into these races and their lore. It will be a real shame if they "dumb down" the game just to attract a new crowd.

19. Seraki

Seraki Guest

I tried this way back years ago on a lesser computer so I might give it a try when it goes ftp. :)

20. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

I'll definitely check it out, it's actually the game where I met & joined TOG. I remember having a lot of fun with it, they did some things in that game I thought were just great but performance wise it ran too poorly for me to keep playing back then.