URU and MEO

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Iko, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Iko

Iko Getting Started

So...

I've been extremely engrossed in SWG, my first highly graphical MMORPG (I've played in MUSHs and MUDs in college) and thoroughly enjoying it. So much so that I've started to look at other games that I might be interested in and two have caught my attention.

URU, the next in the MYST line, and Middle Earth Online, where hopefully, I can play a hobbit! Anyone else interested in either of these two? I've been trying for the past couple of months to get in on the URU beta and no such luck (sigh!). I loved the MYST games (Riven being my personal favorite, since I thought the plot of the story was so well interwoven with the puzzles) and the graphics look fantastic for URU. MEO is far from the beta stage, but it looks interesting and, well, I like hobbits. The only problem I have with MEO is the fact that a user can have multiple avatars on a single server. I really like the way SWG is structured that you can't have multiple avatars per server (the FS character being the exception). I guess it's an unfair advantage for powergamers: you can create many characters whose sole purpose is to buff one. Hmm.

Anyway, just wanted to put a shout out for these two new games and wondering if other TOGers will join me in URU when it comes out at the end of this year.

2. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

I certainly plan to at least have a look at Middle Earth Online. This game is being developed by Turbine, the devs of Asherons Call 1 and 2 so story line and experience are both looking pretty strong.

To be honest, I've never even heard of Myst as a MMORPG? Please enlighten me?

3. Iko

Iko Getting Started

Oh!

Well, I've loved MYST. I've always liked puzzle games and the beauty of the interface made my jaw drop. Riven was even better! Then, Myst III: Exile came out and I wasn't as into that one, but then again, it wasn't made by Cyan (the company that made MYST and Riven). That was because Cyan was investing their efforts into making a special project which has been revealed as URU.

To be completely honest with you, I don't quite understand how URU will work as an MMORPG... but it's a game that can be played as a "solo experience" but it's more of a "neverending solo experience". Every month they roll out new puzzles in a huge world. You can meet up with others to help solve the puzzles, but you can also solve them solo as well. You can customize your avatars. I don't think there is a "skill" system behind it. It's just an online puzzle-playing experience.

4. DocKins

DocKins Well-Known Member

Middle Earth Online will either be a spectacular game or a gigantic flop. It is a game being based on the vast and complex world of Tolkien. The only bad thing with a game being based on Tolkien's world is a majority of players will be taking this world apart looking at each and every little thing and bringing up every little detail that doesn't coincide with the books. If the game designers get everything right then they will have a big winner on their hands.

5. Iko

Iko Getting Started

This is especially true based on the timeframe that the game is set.

From the site:
    "MEO starts during The Lord of the Rings, just after Frodo and the Fellowship of the Ring exit the mines of Moria."

With that timeframe setting, the game will be pretty amazing, to say the least. And then, looking at what they are rolling out in future releases:
    "The world of Middle-earth will be rolled out over successive product expansions, allowing us to take the time needed to present each corner of the world with the care and quality it demands. This will roughly follow the path of the trilogy, from the Shire (and greater Eriador) to Mordor, with a detour to visit the lands of The Hobbit (Mirkwood and the Lonely Mountain), to see how the decades between that tale and The Lord of the Rings have changed those places. After the story is completed, we may even explore more distant lands, such as Umbar and Rhûn. Our goal is to provide an experience that captures the spirit of Tolkien's world and a fun online game for all Tolkien fans out there."

I mean, how involved will they get? Are they planning a scourging of the Shire? Can players get involved in Aragorn's army? I would have expected a setting either pre-Hobbit or post-Lord of the Rings, but having the game set right in the middle of the story makes me.. hmm. Well, it makes me "hmm"!