Transformers: War for Cybertron

Discussion in 'Games Talk' started by Pure Mongrel, Jun 23, 2010.

1. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

"Finally my love for transforming robots gets the proper treatment!"

Putting aside the "live action" [STRIKE] abominations[/STRIKE] movies that Hollywood spewed up all over my favourite cartoon memories, I have been a big fan of the Transformers since I was exposed to them on a friends "colour" TV in the early 80's.

Unfortunately my love for these mechanical marvels was a two edged sword. While the comics and cartoons added to my enjoyment of the genre, the computer games (and Michael Bay's sacrilege) only caused me pain.

But while in a GAME store today I came across Transformers: War for Cybertron. I had heard this game was coming out, but had not heard anything about the game play, etc. so I was very dubious about purchasing it.

Then I heard those magic words "If you don't like it, bring it back within seven days!" so with little more thought than "Is my wallet still in my back pocket" I was the proud owner of an XBOX version.

Now when I got back to work a dark though crossed my mind. What if this game blew more chunks than Michael Bay's version of my beloved sentient robots? Could I live with the shame of being "Dupped" again?

I decided to consult the IGN web site to see what they had to say ...

After reading the review, I felt like I had just taken a big bite out of an Energon Cube!

"9 out of 10!" :D

Wait ... there was more good news ... the multi-player rocked as well!

Looking forward to taking this game home tonight and seeing for myself if this game is as good as they say!

So who else is getting this game?

2. Scratches

Scratches Active Member

if the multi-player is as awesome as reported, then I will be all over this bad boy. :)

3. mindspat

mindspat Well-Known Member

I must admit that I thought both Michael Bay films, flaws and all, were actually more enjoyable then this game for the Xbox. Now, this is only an opinion based on my likes and dislikes of gaming on a console and the demo I tried.

It felt like an old school Quake/Unreal type of game session, fast paced and at times chaotic. I suppose I was looking for something with a lot more depth, like running across a massive city scape with roads and rpg'ish elements that had a story supporting co-op features.

I could rant about some of the lameness in the movies but will save that for another discussion. ;)

4. Pure Mongrel

5. GiantDave7

GiantDave7 Getting Started

Really want to pick this up. Just need to find the cash. Though I am surprised to see it with an RRP if $79.
    Please let this be the begining of a change in pricing structure to reflect the improved dollar around the 90c mark!?!

6. Pure Mongrel

Had a quick go at multi-player. Not as fast as UT, but still a lot of fun. Good range of weapons even at level 1.

There are four classes to to level up (Scout, Soldier, Scientist & Leader) and you can even play an Optimus or Megatron look alike right off the bat (Even adjust the colours so you can look like your favorite faction leader ;))

The campaign can be played co-op (cheer!) and the story is "official" history ... all happily approved by Hasbro. :D

Only tried the Decepticon story so far (Although you can go Autobot first, it "suggests" you do the bad guys first for the purpose of the story.). First mission gives you a feel for ground combat, second for air combat. (Ground is better done IMHO, but Air is still fun).

Reviews I have read state the Autobot storyline is better than the Decepticon one so it would appear it gets better the further you go! :D

7. Kiz

Kiz Retired Captain

awesome

8. Dragonhammer

Dragonhammer Well-Known Member

Had a few cracks at multiplayer, i am loving it so far currently a lvl 5 scientist.
    As always, matchmaking needs a patch.

9. Pure Mongrel

Played Co-Op campaign last night with Viper (pity Scratches could not make it as you can play that mode 3 player :() and it was a lot of fun.

But then we tried escalation mode (still only two of us, but can play up to four)... now that was the best fun I have had on a console in a long time.

Wave after wave of transforming robots coming at you, hell bent on using you for spare parts with only the briefest of pauses between waves to get more ammo and health.

The points you earn from kills are used to purchase life giving Energon, ammo, weapons and to unlock doors that allows you access to new areas with various bonuses.

The combat is very satisfying. There are many "Hell Yeah!" moments as you quickly switch from blasting a robot with your hand weapon, transform to vehicle mode and take out a group with your rockets and then jump back to robot mode and take out a couple of robot spiders (with your POWER AXE) that are trying to chew your feet off!

Then just to prove you are the toughest metal MoFo in the yard you take out a couple bad guys wailing on your buddy, bring him back from the brink of death while under a hail of gun fire, turn around and blast the last threat of that wave.

(Yes it's true ... more than once I found myself humming "You've got the touch! You've got the power!" :D)

Mass transforming robot combat, great visuals and the original voice actors coupled with what appears to be very balanced game mechanics has made me very happy that I took a punt on this title.

Hoping to see a mass TOG transformer all in brawl some day soon ;)

8 excited puppy tail wags out of 10 from me! :D

Last edited: Jun 26, 2010
  10. AvatarICEMAN

Loving it so far and getting addicted fast. Loving how you can change so fluidily and all the diff guns, spec items etc can't wait for some co-op or multiplayer madness.

11. Ebonytears

Ebonytears Queen of the Abyss

That actually looks...awesome. I mean....THAT AXE!!!

Wonder if co-op mode works on the Wii.......