The next mod pack for Serenity

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by Irimar, Aug 24, 2013.

?

What mod pack do we want on Serenity next

Poll closed Sep 2, 2013.
  1. FTB Unleashed

22.7%
  2. Direwolf 20

72.7%
  3. FTB Unhinged

4.5%
  1. Irimar

Irimar Retired Captain

Everyone likes options, right?
    I'm listing what seem to be the most viable options for where we're going with Serenity next. I'll leave the poll open through the end of next weekend.

2. Deweyoxberg

Deweyoxberg Well-Known Member

nvm. :) listening to recording.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  3. fireh

fireh Getting Started

4. fireh

fireh Getting Started

5. Dalienx

Dalienx Well-Known Member

nice find fireh, Looks like unleashed has everything direwolf has and more.. so the question i guess is do we want the "more" lol

6. Brew

Brew Well-Known Member

I did find at least one possible error in that comparison. Both the official mod list and the FTB wiki do not list PowerConverters for the Direwolf pack. Given that Petroleum Generators are also out, it looks like it will take a more complex path from Fuel/Oil to EU. Solar panels will be cheaper though, so maybe that will be the way to go, even early on.

I also just noticed that the GraviSuite mod is out of Direwolf, so no advanced lappacks or advanced electric jetpacks, etc.

7. Irimar

Irimar Retired Captain

The included mods for each pack are listed in the description in the FTB launcher.
    That list at that link isn't entirely accurate, you're better off checking the launcher yourself.

There are a few other things to consider:
    1) More mods is not always better
    2) While Direwolf20 and Unleashed both have MFFS, they are different implementations that forked from the same original project. They are not identical.
    3) Direwolf20 has Compact Solars. Unleashed has Advanced Solars. Some people prefer one over the other.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  8. Cheith

Cheith Active Member

Hmm, none of the above! I don't think that gives us anything over where we are other than the removal of GT and thus making things a little simpler. I wonder if we should wait for more packs to be added to ftb for 1.5.2/1.6.

9. Irimar

Irimar Retired Captain

Cheith, Ultimate is dead. There will never be another update for it. These are the modpacks currently actively supported by the FTB folks. It's time for a world reset, so it's time to move to an actively supported modpack.

10. Bru1zer

Bru1zer Guardian Captain

This is why direwof20 is the better choice, it is the only modpack to have been consistently updated since FTB first came on the scene, and it's the best choice to avoid further chopping and changing in the future. And one of the most balanced.

There are no power converters (as in power bridges, consumers and producers) in DW20

The modular power suits can charge all electric tools so bat packs are not required.

On the contrary it actually makes things harder to an extent.
    Gregtech brutally punishes you early game but can be easily overcome by a handfull of players combining resources, once you are over the resource hurdles it is exponentially easy, being able to punch out UU to make Ultimate solars (anything really) is easy mode.
    In contrast without gregtech, for every ultimate you want, you are going to need the resources to make 512 standard solar panels, there are no shortcuts.

11. Gedarn

Gedarn Retired Captain

If we do end up with DW20's pack we should have a discussion about which MFFS we will use. The pack has both activated and it could be confusing. Personally if we use the more interesting one by Calclavia as it is different enough to feel new.

Scataboens

12. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

One thing I would like no matter what is decided in the end; HTTP activated so you can use pastebin to update computercraft programs. It's a pain in the *ss to work with CC on a server otherwise.

13. Irimar

Irimar Retired Captain

We've had the CC pastebin interface active the whole time on Serenity. It makes life much easier for the CC users.

14. Irimar

Irimar Retired Captain

I've just checked the mod pack in my FTB launcher. I only see Calclavia there. I'm pretty sure you can't have both.

15. Cheith

Cheith Active Member

I know it is dead, and I know there will never be another update. I just wasn't overly excited about the new options and wondered if it was worth waiting a bit longer.

If we have decided we HAVE to reset the world then fair enough and I'll go for DW20 as it has a smaller set of mods.

PS: We should wait for 1.1.3 before doing this though as 1.1.2 has issues and moving to 1.1.3 will require a world reset
    (from FTB news)
    Update 8/23/13 : Unleashed 1.1.3 is now the recommended version. DW20 1.1.3 is still up for testing as we are waiting on a bug fix. Once DW20 1.1.3 is pushed to recommended world ID mismatches will occur with worlds created with 1.1.2 . Future versions of DW20 will work off the id's used for 1.1.3.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  16. Irimar

Irimar Retired Captain

I'm not sure what good waiting will do. These are the 1.5 FTB packs. This is what there will be until 1.6. There is no timeline for a 1.6 release yet. Serenity really needs a reset at this point, both from an administrative standpoint and from the point of view of a large portion of the player base.

17. Gedarn

Gedarn Retired Captain

It has both but one is called MFFS_Cal_3.1.0.175 and the other is ModularForceFieldSystem-2.3.0.1.28

Scataboens

18. Irimar

Irimar Retired Captain

Oh, I see it now. Yes, we'll only use one on the server if we end up running DW20.

19. HenriDeacon

HenriDeacon Retired Captain

They all look like good packs. Leaning towards Direwolf. It appears to have everything we need including GraviSuite :) I love flying around.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  20. Irimar

Irimar Retired Captain

The Direwolf pack has MachineMuse's Modular Powersuits. They're really customizable, including the ability to fly and hover.