The next good MMO...

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by ForrestGump, Nov 9, 2014.

1. ForrestGump

ForrestGump Well-Known Member

Well,

Currently I am enjoying AA for a bit. However, I don't know how long I'll last as I do not have endless hours of play time.
    What I want to know is; What's on the Horizon? Will EQ revamp and re-invent it's self? Does Blizzard have anything on the horizon? Whats upcoming, new and refreshing???

FG

2. Venrith

Venrith Active Member

Honestly... Not as much as you'd think. Star Citizen will have some mmo type gameplay from what I know and that's deffinatly one worth watching, other than that, the only other potential AAA mmo that is in the works is the new Everquest but that won't be out for quite some time

3. Cahiry

Cahiry VR Crack Dealer Officer

I'm part of Pantheon Raise of the Fallen community ( which i hope bring back a bit of old school MMO )

EQN looks to be a couple years away yet.

Star citizen looks good but again is still sometime away for the MMO universe.

Blizzard don't seem to have anything in the MMO market other then WoW xpacs

there are some others out there but I don't really follow them, The re-population, Camelot unchained.

Next year is looking to be a slow year for MMO's.

4. RnR

RnR Retired Captain

A possible dark horse could be a revamped Eve Online.

5. ForrestGump

ForrestGump Well-Known Member

Well, despite the bleak outlook I appreciate the responses. I just really miss the anticipation of beginning a new game, the of excitement of exploration and the buzz within the TOG community, minus the drama.
    I'll just have to be patient. /sigh

Thanks

6. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

Looking forward to Tom Clancy's The Division, since they are also bringing it to PC.

7. Old_Bird_Lady

Old_Bird_Lady Just Joined

8. kiwiitis

kiwiitis Well-Known Member

After been really disappointed with the way Archeage has gone since release I do not hold out any hope of finding an mmo to keep me interested.

I am now playing Life is Feudal(pre alpha) but I can play it solo on my own world to get some practice in and not worry about upsetting other players.

9. Kess

Kess Retired Captain

The next MMO I'm really excited about is Skyforge. It just had its very first beta test weekend. So it should only be a few months away now.

http://sf.my.com/us/news

It's an action combat type of MMO where you gain followers and eventually become a god!

Last edited: Nov 19, 2014
  10. Atrak

Atrak Active Member

I too am feeling rather dissapointed in Archeage, thought I think I might give MMO's a rest for awhile as they just eat up all your free time. :)

How are you finding LiF? I hear it's a bit like Wurm Online but with a greater emphasis on combat. It seems to have quite a number of bad reviews on steam but most of them seem to be annoyed at the fact they are using the money to fund an MMO. I would be curious what you think of it though Kiwii, I read a bit on the forums by the developer and it sounds interesting at least.

11. kiwiitis

kiwiitis Well-Known Member

I am finding it very refreshing Atrak. It is similar to Wurm. Not sure of the combat as I never engage in pvp.
    Treating it as a solo game at the moment doing a lot of terraforming very time consuming.I set up so I could use max skills and speeded up the time to do things slightly.

Once I get more used to the game I will most likely try and find a server where I can play more or less a hermit/nomad character where I could possibly interact on a trade/log/mine/terraform basis with other players.
    I did that a lot in Wurm and trading in Mortal online(full pvp game)

I must say I was very surprised when I found I could create my own world and play without having to log into a server a very nice way to learn as far as I am concerned.

There are also some people already doing mods which has a certain appeal.

I have no concerns re the cost

LiF thread link below

http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/rpg-simulation-strategy-others/562857-life-feudal.html

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  12. Atrak

Atrak Active Member

Cheers for the info mate, It's nice to hear someone I know's take on it rather than reviews on steam etc.

I liked Wurm and the idea of the solo/hermit play appeals to me too, I might have to look into this.. (famous last words.. there goes my spare time!!).

13. SirDoc

SirDoc Active Member

Skyforge looks interesting.
    I might have to check it out.

14. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

Already giving up on the MMOs that are good and still going strong, I see...

No wonder so many good MMOs seem to just slow down with development. People don't stick with them anymore, so they lose lots of funding and everything takes longer. People who jump from one to the next over and over are really killing the genre, IMO. Today, because of such behavior of the masses, it's practically a death sentence to make a MMO. Sure there is a nice chunk of change made at launch of the MMO, but it's practically not worth keeping it going.

Snott likes this.
  15. Dolnor

Dolnor Bane of Crickets

Wow...I never knew how many MMOs are being developed or on funding sites until I really looked at this site:
    Make My MMO: December 14 - 20, 2014 | Massively

I mean, the vast number of them...and these are only the ones being funded, not counting the ones being made in the traditional method! And whilst most seem to be "selling" the same vision of their respective game, there are quite a few either adding on new ideas or trying something totally different.

Same site, another list including even more MMOs being made:
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2014/12/19/betawatch-december-13-19-2014/

Just from the number of new MMOs....I think I'll give up trying to test games as I would never have time to actually PLAY a single one! -)

TQQdles™

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
  16. Cahiry

I'm a backer for Pantheon

17. RnR

RnR Retired Captain

What its sale pitch that made you reach into your wallet?

18. Cahiry

Not so much the sale pitch, I have met Brad once a long time ago at a convention and he is a nice guy with a good vision of what he wants his games to be ( his vision is not always what the masses want but it matches mine) I also played Vanguard from day one till a year before it closed and it is still the greatest MMO I have ever played.

If Pantheon is going to be even close to the scale of what vanguard was i'm in :)

19. Dolnor

Dolnor Bane of Crickets

I went on a funding-mind-trip (which I couldn't afford but that's what happens when you go CRAZY! hehe) and donated (yes, it is a donation...not an investment) to some games...

In no particular order:
    Star Citizen
    The Repopulation
    Godus
    The Mandate
    Super Roman Conquest
    Shroud of the Avatar
    TROVE
    Landmark
    Project: Gorgon
    Earthlock: Festival of Magic (developed by a friend, Bendik Stang)
    Cube World
    City of Steam
    Shards Online
    Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded
    The Book of Unwritten Tales II (which bundled other games made by the same company)

And...help fund Volume 12 of the Aventures of Girl Genuis...with a bunch of perks.

Of course now, I have to exist on bread, water, and the occasional Cup-O-Ramen!

TQQdles™

P.S. I also need larger hard disks (running a Raid 0 here) before I can download the other 10 games I purchased on Steam during their 80% off sales! YIKES!

20. Biggus(UK)

Biggus(UK) Active Member

Hey everyone, not been on for a very long time. However I have gotten into a new game that some people might like:

http://www.therepopulation.com/

SWG meets UO.

Been playing a couple of days and haven't even scratched the surface of the crafting.