The new Console Consortium subsite - Features - suggestions and ideas welcome

Discussion in 'Secret Squirrel Console Club House (Private, Hidde' started by Cadder, May 7, 2010.

1. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

Greetings.
    The purpose of this thread is as a scope-of-works for my development of the new TOGccR subsite (until it gets a new name).

The purpose
    for the TOGccR is simple - make organising console gaming easier and more fun for TOG members.
    My mission, in developing the TOGccR, is to give you guys the opportunity to spend your spare time where you should be - gaming, rather than updating endless lists and registers for gaming events and the TOG forums in general.

For the purpose of this document, "CC" refers to the Console Consortium - or the Console Division as a whole.

Here is a list of intended features and functions:

• Your TOG Gamer Profile
      • The backbone of the TOGccR - who you are as a TOG console gamer.
        • what your gamer tag/ID(s) are.
        • What games you play.
        • What platforms you play on
        • When you play
        • What your favourite games are
        • All the other "incidental" questions you've filled in when registering in the yearly-updated threads. (TV size, fave character, etc etc)
    • Membership registry - who on TOG plays console games?
      • Can look up individual players CC details, stats, games, etc
      • Do you only know someone by their PSN name? here you can quickly search/find/message users
      • Based on people's responses when they register, easily find out when people are going to be online IN RELATION TO YOUR LOCATION TIME. (eg, "Fred plays between 8 and 10pm his time, that's 2am-4am your time".)
    • Game squad handling (Gamer Groups)
      • Keeps a record of who owns/plays what games (so you can find possible playmates)
      • optionally, automatic creation of a "Gamer Group" as soon as two or more users register that they have the same game.
      • Easily get a list of who's playing the same game, AND their Gamer tag/PSN id/Wii game code so you can quickly find names to add to your console friends list.
      • Quickly find a list of available squads (and their members) for your game
      • On-the fly generation of squad .sig files!!!! (complete with your TOG name, gamer IDs, motto, etc. (I don't have a live example of this yes, but see the MAG/Raven .sigs I did as an example of how this will look)
    • Squad scheduling
      • Keeps a register of what times the squads play (again, in relation to your local time)
      • Easily-configured Gaming events. Wanna make a TOG Burnout Paradise Cup 2 event? (hint, click?) Easy. Just schedule some event times, and (optionally) send TOG MESSAGES or a FORUM POST(automatically) to those people who have joined the BP Gamer Group. (or, optionally, to everyone who has registered that they play BP on your platform)
    • CC awards - this was the catalyst and inspiration for the TOGccR in the first place.
      • award a fellow CC user for something they've done, without PureMongrel having to update endless links, lists and images
      • easily and quickly create new awards (subject to mod approval)
      • for mods - approval of new awards is a simple yes or no click. I could even develop some subsytem for a pseudo-automatic generation of the award graphic (Thanks to PM sending me the templates he uses)
      • automatic calculation of Gamer points and therefore gamer rank, based on the recorded awards you have 'won'.
      • dynamic gamer rank icon, based on your gamer rank: [​IMG]
      • On-the-fly award notifications in-forum: [​IMG] (yes, that's a "plastic cup" award)
      • Automatically-granted awards and calculated points for joining aforementioned Gamer Groups. (ie, you join a squad, you get awarded points and an award. PM doesn't have to do a thing!)
      • Automatically-granted awards and calculated points for updating/confirming your gamer profile details each year. This will replace the necessity for having the "yearly console div players list". It covers all three consoles. (again, saving squad leaders a shitload of time and effort)
      • Facility for punters to register their own 100% game completion details (again, subject to a yes-or-no approval by a verifying mod) - saving the necessity for a mod to "nominate" a person for completing their games, and negating the need for mods to have to keep track of their flock's activities manually
    Other ideas I've had but don't know whether I can/should/will implement:

• Facebook details, for finding other TOGgers on Facebook
    • TOG-specific 'gamer card' images. - the site is written in PHP, which, I'm discovering, has absolutely awesome dynamic image handling abilities. It shouldn't be too difficult to have TOG-specific graphics with details of players' Xbox/PSN/wii games. AFAIK, this will be the ONLY system on the net that covers all three platforms together.

What else do we need?
    What else would you like to see?
    As a squad leader, forum member, or game console player, what else do you find to be a real pain in the ass to keep doing?
    What else can I simplify for you?
    What else have you ever thought, "it would be cool if I could...."

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  2. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

Dude I love all of this ... but I have to ask the question ... are you making it to big, at least in the short term?

I for one will use every feature you have mentioned (except maybe facebook as I think I am going to shut down my account due to security issues), but I am concerned that the more you put in, the less it will be used by most people.

Especially at in its infancy I would be inclined to keep it as close to what we already have ... just upgraded for ease of use.

• Member / Gamer info (Tags, games playing, etc)
    • Awards / gamer ranks (Love the award in the post by the way ... brilliant idea).
    • Game session info

After that is running, and we gauge how many use it, than we could look at implementing your other ideas. (Which F*#King rock by the way :D)

3. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

Too big? Nah.
    I was once given a piece of advice from an old boss of mine -
    "Never worry about biting off more than you can chew. Take as big a bite as you can, then learn to chew like f*ck!"

one Q tho, while it's in mind:
    I've noticed a couple of times you've mentioned putting people into regional areas?
    eg, US, Europe, etc depending on their physical location
    It'd be nice if I could auto-select this when user updates their time zone (there will be time zones, eg GMT+10 on their profile - this is how we can synchronise games)

How many regions do you usually break them up into?
    And what are you calling them?

4. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

Mate we could do with some of the abilities of your build now to free up Pure_Mongrels game time.

I know your looking for perfection but we might benefit from an early build/release.

What I have seen so far is simply amaizing and fantastic. Can't wait to start using it to send out awards and monitoring everyone's levels.

This is going to be fantastic for the Division and TOG as a whole once you sell it to them.

5. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

TYVM :)

6. Pure Mongrel

Regions (As far as I am aware anyway)

Oceania - Australia, New Zealand, Asia, South Africa
    North America - USA, Canada, South America
    Europe - All of Europe

I hope I have not missed anyone.

If we are going to stick with regions, I reckon we should give them cool sounding Empire style names ... just to spice things up and create rivalry ;) (Might also give those with in countries with minor numbers a sense of belonging?

I can't wait to use the "on the fly" awards! :D

7. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

Your welcome.

Still don't know where you find the time. It's like you have a Time Turner or something.
    Name the movie. No prizes awarded.

8. Pure Mongrel

If you do have a Time Turner, can you tell me where to get one please?

9. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

hehe ATM, everyone's just got a GMT+x timezone. That'll do for the moment, at least you can get information like "fred_nerk is 6 hours ahead of you" etc - and eventually, this will turn into:
    "Fred_Nerk is usually online: 8pm-11pm mon-fri, which is 2pm-5pm your time.".

:confused: Dude, you already can. Anyone can.. Click the insert image button, as if you were going to put a link to an ordinary image, and use this URL for the image:

http://www.caddernet.com/TOG/vimg/award_gen.php?txt=message&col=gold

You can change the red message to whatever you want (eg, resisting temptation FAIL,) and you can change the colour gold to either gold, silver, bronze, platinum, plastic or fail.

[​IMG]

Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban.
    ;)

10. Pure Mongrel

[​IMG]

You are "Da Man"!

11. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

:D