The Grind........what do you guys recommend?

Discussion in 'Elite: Dangerous (Public)' started by amaskedman, Dec 10, 2016.

1. amaskedman

amaskedman Just Joined

I jumped back in fresh and I am having a hard time getting credit, perhaps I am impatient. What do you guys suggest and whats all this colonia talk about?

2. Sysmon

Sysmon World of Warcraft Captain -= SILVER Patreon =-

The game does require patience. Mission running pays of well to begin with (compared to the price of upgrading the sidewinder/eagle), and bounty hunting at res sites can be quite lucrative as well. If you like a more sedate pace, then mining or rares trading can also bring in good income. I made most of my money from exploration, which does require patience and will have an element of anxiety when coming back after half a year of exploration data...

Colonia is a new bubble around Jacques Stations, which misjumped to a spot 22000 ly from the main bubble. There are a couple of game factions set up there, and a rush to set up player factions as well. There are only a handful of populated star systems, and with low populations only. Jacques may still be the only place with a shipyard, and the selection isn't great. Nor is the outfitting. But the place is pretty, and free of Powerplay and all the Federation/Empire/Alliance stuff.

I left Jacques/Colonia a few weeks ago to go back to the bubble and kit out a Ferdelance. I'm having loads of fun with that boat at the moment. The Vulture is another great battleboat at a more affordable price. Mining I've mainly done in a Python, or in Colonia in a T-6. For surface missions I tend to take a Cobra Mk IV, which is a wonderfully versatile vessel if you have access to it. Otherwise the ASP is great, or the Keelback that you can have a fighter hangar in as well.

:D S

3. Coneman

Coneman Well-Known Member

Hiya and sorry for the late response - just noticed this section :\ I built my credit pool doing roughly the following (keep in mind mission rewards seem to increase significantly as you increase the related pilot ranking and also your reputation with the mission giving faction). Note: I avoided a lot of combat early on because I wanted to get into an FDL to do that hehe...none of these needed any combat - though you do get interdiction attempts against you:

• Stacking data/courier missions between systems. Wu Guinagi/Hip10716 and Aditi/Synuefe RT-R C20-7 were both good system pairs to do this at since all those mission types are just between those two systems. These also dont need cargo space other than what is needed for the reward. This will also raise your imperial rep and naval rank quite well.
    • Rare trading once I could afford a cobra mk3. There are quite a few rare trade loops and generators out there. This made me pretty good coin.
    • When I got my asp I started running passenger flights (mostly sightseeing) out of Wu Guinagi. With high rep and rank these can pay as much as 32m for a 3 destination journey of about 500ly. Mostly however they will fall in between 6m and 15m. When I could afford a beluga I started stacking these missions (5-6 at a time) from Wu since they mostly follow a similar path up and back down the bubble. They took a bit longer to complete but were still much quicker than doing 5-6 seperate runs. Made as much as 50-60m per 2-3 hour trips. Note also, that if you do a detailed scan a planet that is undiscovered to you during these missions you will get a significant gain to your explorer rank.

After all of that I started and continue to run massacre missions in conflict zones to earn coin and increase my combat ranking. This got a whole lot easier and quicker when I upgraded my trusty FDL to a fed corvette...now almost like shooting fish in a pond at times.

I hope that helps and is not way too late :) Good luck and safe travels

4. paradroid

paradroid Well-Known Member

I ignore the grind, I play games to have fun and this is no different.
    Change things up, do trading runs, bounty hunt for a bit, mission running for your chosen faction, go exploring, or even 'gasp' mining.

I started playing in Sept 2014 in the beta, still can't afford an Anaconda (well, maybe if I traded in my T9, Python and Vulture) no Elite rankings yet but I've been having a ball. It's not the destination, it's the journey in this game.

5. Coneman

Coneman Well-Known Member

True words indeed. The game should be played the way that suits you best. Me, I want it ALL!!! :lol: Therefore, the grind is not really a grind...just a means to an end. What I enjoy most about approaching a grind is finding a way to make it less of a grind. Kind of a mini game in itself but there are surely are more and less efficient ways to earn rep, rank or credits in the game. Still the core value should always be to be having fun and enjoying the reprieve from RL.

*EDIT* I have to add that while unlocking and levelling engineers is a painful process at times, it will significantly improve the performace of your ship(s) and I would highly recommend it. Once you get a ship well modded everything gets a lot smoother.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2017