The Crew - MMO Racing Game

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Dirty, Jul 22, 2014.

1. Dirty

Dirty Getting Started

http://thecrew-game.ubi.com/portal/en-AU/home/

Hi didnt see any posts on the forum about this.... Just started in first closed beta, and is due November 15.
    Im interested in the game, but still waiting to get a better opinion of it.

MMO Racing game... always online, co-op / pvp / solo gameplay, exploration / racing / combative / missions / racing.

Cars have Spec from generic stock vehicles, to street racing, dirt racing, circuit, performance and raid spec (which is weird, think boss battles).

Loot & Itemisation is a mix of performance parts to suit your spec like engine/tires/gearbox components, as well as custom look slots for non-performance parts like doors/hoods/spoilers/rims/skins. Earn cash to buy better cars, but parts can be scored from missions and victories.

Team racing sound fun, where a team can slow block and crash into other players so one of their buddies could score the victory. With shared exp.

A bit sceptical about some of the game, they say they mapped the United States to the game world and you can drive coast to coast... then you hear its like 1.5 to 3 hours... with no zone loading, while that impressive for a game world. The cannonball run record for USA coast to coast is 29 hours.... so what did they cut or scale wrong to lose 26 hours :p

What you think ?

ps, I put it in this forum instead of MMORPG... cause I think its OTHER!... I dont see it complying with the term "roleplaying" when the only element its not borrowing from MMORPGs is actual roleplay.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  2. Lira_514

Lira_514 Just Joined

Coast to coast flying is 5 hours. Thats at 391mph. If you go Mach 2.7 you can make the run in 1.7 hours, which fits that time-frame. Honestly, If I was in a car going Mach 2.7... I would probably die.

Also a game map, ground level, with road textures, in HD, of the ENTIRE USA; would be massively gigantic. A few flight sims I play have HD packs of the US and it runs up to around 75gigs for a nice HD US pack. And that doesnt include actual roads and trees and stores and what have you. You would be looking into a 200+ gig game just for textures. Not that it isnt possible, but this is for consoles as well, so... think small thoughts here. Or procedurally generated thoughts.

As for distance you would travel, simple math and estimation tells me that the cars in this game iwll probably run top speeds around 200mph-MAYBE 250 if you push reality.
    Going 250mph (reality stretching to the max here) You would be looking at 7.82 hours to traverse the US from GA to CA. Now they say that it can be done in 3h... Sooo... That give us a total distance (at these speeds) of approx. 750 miles and thats non-stop, full-throttle. Also thats almost 1/3 the distance.

Seems fun, but seems... seems like they're lying about something just from basic math.

3. Brootal

Brootal Well-Known Member

So it sounds a bit like TDU2?

4. Dirty

Dirty Getting Started

Yeah TDU2, Need for Speed Worlds (but it had bad multiplayer mechanics), a bit of Gran Turismo (but with arcade control mechanics not simulator controls)... I got Beta access, but its way too early in the beta to judge the game. Cause a lot of players cant even get past the first mission (inc myself) due to a crappy controller driver issues that basically cripples the cars top speed and you cant get to checkpoints in time.

5. deathdealer

deathdealer Active Member

im going pre purchase the game on monday it looks good been waiting for a good racing game for ages so im easy to jump on it will we be making a group and that for this game? hope there enough people willing to to give it a go

6. Mach 5

Mach 5 Retired Captain

Having a go with this week's closed beta, and having a lovely time of it (using a wireless 360 controller). Look me up in-game for friend's list: Mach5Five

7. deathdealer

yeah it pretty good play most of the night and today pretty good game i added ya too

8. m0j0

m0j0 Active Member

Looks pretty cool, but at full price and it being a "mmo".. i have wasted to much money on mmo`s that are empty after a month or two.

Wish they just made it a single player game with optional multiplayer like TDU

9. Mach 5

Mach 5 Retired Captain

Many thousands of keys for this week's beta test @mmorpg.com.
    I have an extra if they run out (which they sometimes do quickly).
    PM me if you can't get one.

There are literally hundreds of personal challenges and story missions available for solo play...or there will be that many at launch, regardless. Even though the entire map is open, only the midwest and eastern US regions are open for missions.

Purg and m0j0 like this.
  10. m0j0

m0j0 Active Member

Thanks for the mmorpg headsup, im installing now.

11. Mach 5

Mach 5 Retired Captain

Having a really good time playing this. It is quite honestly unfinished (I don't know how they can expect it to be finished in a couple of months--unless we are playing an older/stable build), but whilst the physics are a bit more arcade than what you might be used to, the cars definitely have differing characteristics.

My humble recommendations:
    *Test drive every car after the prologue, and choose the one that best fits your style. I found the Camaro and Challenger too unforgiving in turns, and the Nissan 350Z (which I really favoured) was just a tad slower than the Mustang...which I did choose.
    *Do as many of the various challenges about town (Detroit) to improve your equipment, and if you are not too impatient, go for the Gold Medal. The story missions are much easier after you've raised the level of your car.
    *The sightseeing landmarks may seem innocuous, but they are worth good money (~250 each) and some experience.
    *Almost everything in the beta can be done solo (it is an option, after all), but I suspect that later missions will require the requisite "Crew" to garner the best scores.
    *Hard not to get a little discouraged when earning a Gold Medal, only to find that my world leaderboard record is still somewhere around 15,000. My hand-eye coordination is not what is was 20 years ago. ;)

Anyway, those are first impressions at reaching lvl 10...about to head to New York for the off-road spec's.

12. m0j0

m0j0 Active Member

Got to play it for about 30 min before heading to bed.

Was able to reach level one, and get myself a Nissan Z and tuned/painted it a bit.

So far it seems a fun game.

In the coming days i`l decide if its going on my buy list or not, but right now its looking positive :)

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  13. Bling_T

Bling_T Getting Started

I pre-ordered the game on Steam and I'm really enjoying the beta. Although I usually don't like pre-ordering, I took a chance with this one after hearing a lot of good things (and a few bad ones).
    Besides, I used to own a Dodge pickup and getting a street spec Dodge Ram as a preorder bonus is nice.

Drove around a lot: Detroit, Chicago, and trips to NE corner, New York and Miami.
    Haven't tried it with the keyboard yet, an XBox 360 controller works fine but I prefer my steering wheel.
    Currently driving a bright orange Ford Focus RS:
    [​IMG]

Installed the biggest exhaust I could find just because I can.
    I like the visual tuning in the game because it's all optional. Change colors, rims, interior, add stickers, bumpers and spoilers, or keep it stock if you prefer it that way.

In NFSU for example you had to add carbon stuff and stickers to the car to progress, instead of building what you liked.

The Crew runs fine on 1920x1080 on my PC: Core i5, GTX660Ti and 16Gb ram.

BTW: the game appears to be locked to 30 fps on PC, which might put some people off. I have not had issues with it and you probably get used to it while playing. One small advantage is that the framerate doesn't drop when it gets busy.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  14. Mach 5

Mach 5 Retired Captain

It appears there will be a slider available at release to up the frame rate, but the optimisation is such that 30 fps seems locked for everyone in the beta. Honestly it doesn't bother me too much, even though my PC specs could handle more (my rig is not terrible different than yours other than an i7 and AMD R9...same 16gb ram). I've read on some forums you can change a line in the .exe from 30 to 60, but some have found it creates sound issues. In the meantime, good fun, certainly!

15. deathdealer

its a really good game was lvl 10 first night didnt sleep looking forward to release

16. Mach 5

Mach 5 Retired Captain

I just wanted to let you know I've made it a personal mission of mine to better every one of your challenge/race records that I come across whilst playing (even if it means I have to try several...or many times). :p

17. m0j0

m0j0 Active Member

Was sucking very much at BF4 yesterday so i gave The Crew another hour of my time.

I love the roaming, went from Detroit to Las Vegas, then up to the Bonneville flats, then to a mountain in the distance and back to Detroit, all in my starter Nissan Z.

How i wished i had a offroad car because the bits through the desert / mountain went a bit slow.

18. deathdealer

shouldnt be too hard breezed through some with bronze but i did all i was able to do even tryed a lvl19 one i didnt fare to well tho lol but when game comes out im getting gold on everything not long now

19. Mach 5

Mach 5 Retired Captain

I hope you realise I have no hope whatsoever of topping many scores once the game is launched, so I'm getting in my shots now, whilst the getting is good!

The Steam forums are not a good place to get much positive feedback, Even I am surprised, as I'm really having such a good time in a game that is still in beta, not properly optimised, and a majority of content still unreleased. Trolls will be trolls, I suppose. :(

Here's my Street-spec Mustang. I really have my eye on a Nissan Skyline (like any good Gran Turismo fan), but at ~108k dollars, not likely to have the cash for it this beta...

2014-08-28_00004.jpg

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  20. m0j0

m0j0 Active Member

Nice looking Mustang, looks fast, but still classy.

Also while i love the R34 Skyline, i prefer the R32.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014