Star Wars Galaxies is finally shutting down.

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Lurch, Jun 25, 2011.

1. Lurch

Lurch Well-Known Member

2. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain

There is another...

(Not referring to SW:TOR)

3. Avoozl

Avoozl Well-Known Member

Lego Universe? :p

4. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

You're not?!

5. Cased

Cased Active Member

It makes me sad to think this game will be no more

6. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

I never played it myself as i was playing everquest at the time it was out but i heard great things about it.......well until SOE took it over that is.

7. Sente

Sente Active Member

The game was always a SOE game. But SOE (and LucasArts presumably) thought they could get more players by revamping the whole game after it had been around for 2 years -the infamous NGE.

The game had some really great parts prior to that, but also bad parts. The crafting system was brilliant, but also grindy and in practice you had to get up to Master title of your craft to be able to actually sell stuff to players.

There were also many buggy things and if you wanted to unlock Jedi you were up for a really crazy grind, even after they changed the initial system they had to gain Jedi-hood. It just went from an unpredictable grind to a predictable grind.

What pissed me off about the NGE was that they removed the professions I had picked and enjoyed playing - my character was a Master Ranger/Master Creature Handler.

They have had six years since the NGE to repair the damage, so it might be a better game today even though it is still probably different from the original game.

8. mindspat

mindspat Well-Known Member

Best memories of playing an MMO were during 2003-2005. Had a blast playing SWG and those 2 years defined what I expect from an MMO - persistent open worlds that overlap their game play experiance. It was more like a sim then a game.

that being said, SOE can rot in hell. I will never purchase or play another one of their games again because of this. I also have abstained from every Lucas Arts project since and very well might continue to do so with Knights of the Old Republic online since the more I see the less of it I like.

9. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

The best! Until the exodus... SOE/LA really screwed the pooch on what would be legendary! Carbineer / Combat medic... Boy those were the days.

So many of these threads are floating around... Boy, did they REALLY SCREW THE POOCH!

Ranked #1... pre NGE/CU.
    #2? DAoC... Pre TOA/ML - buffbot hell! What a great game this was! RvR heaven! 3 forces combating... WHY the hell has another game not implimented this mechanism.

Currently playing... WoT... Now if they incorporated 3 sides... (Russian, German, U.S.) and divided up Europe / N. Africa... and made this an RvR setting... Now that would have potential!

10. Flintwick

Flintwick Retired Captain

Fully agreed! I would go so far as saying DAoC is still my #1. As for other games, planetside has implemented the 3 force approach, and has had great successs because of it :) (EA-)Mythic cocked up on Warhammer due to having three war fronts, but only two sides (did they really not get what made DAoC great?).

I do know of one game in early development that has similar ideas as SWG, and also has a team which fully appreciates the benefits of the rule of three!

Flint

11. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

I prefer the multi-factional approach much better than the dual factions most games seem to favor.