Star Citizen v Elite Dangerous

Discussion in 'Games: Member articles & research.' started by Gizigog, May 26, 2018.

1. Gizigog

Gizigog Active Member

Dear All, I was wanting to immerse myself into some space gaming and have been looking into Elite Dangerous and Star Citizen. I have tinkered on both but not really got into either due to spending a lot of time on other games such as WoW, ARMA and BF.
    Before I devote my gaming hours to SC or ED I was wondering if anyone had some advice. I do not intend the thread to become an argument of which game is better like a discussion on Oasis v Blur however I want to make sure I am not missing something before I start to later regret :)

2. The Horror

The Horror Active Member

All I want to say is that Elite Dangerous looks amazing on a VR headset.

I havent played Star Citizen.

Gizigog likes this.
  3. paradroid

paradroid Well-Known Member

I haven't played SC except for a brief flight during the tech demo days, have been playing Elite Dangerous since mid beta.
    One thing about SC is that it is still technically in Alpha, E: D has been a full release since Dec 2014, with an expansion (Horizons) as well.

In E: D there is an alien threat approaching Sol (Earth) at the moment so a lot of the gameplay is centred around that, but you do not have to involve yourself if you don't want to, the driving philosophy has always been "play your own way" and with a 1:1 simulation of the Milky Way Galaxy (400 Billion Stars modeled in the game, there has been a case that when astronomers found a system in real life, E: D had already accurately predicted what was found) there is a lot of room to do what you want.
    Combat, trading, mining, exporing, poking aliens, driving SRV's on planets (only one without air right now, Atmosheric landing is planned for the future) rescueing people from burning stations, I've yet to get bored, because if I don't feel like doing one thing, there's always something else.

I'd recommend buying Elite Dangerous with the Horizons expansion if you go that way, that opens up planetary landing and a lot more gameplay, keep an eye on Steam or the Frontier website, it regularly goes on sale.

One last thing, E: D is very system friendly, I'm staying at my mothers for a couple of days, and was playing on a i3 with a GTX730 graphics card and getting 30fps in space (drops to 15fps inside the station but playable.) My main rig is an i5 2500k OC to 4.3GHZ, 16GB and a GTX780, I get 100+ fps on Ultra @ 1440p

It also shares the galaxy simulation with Xbox and PS4 players, but they are in their own groups, everyone affects stuff but a PC player can't meet an Xbox player ingame.

Hope this helps.

4. Gizigog

Gizigog Active Member

Many thanks for the above. It's really helpful.

I have tried SC on my son's account and it is very much in Alpha stage - my computer struggled tbh.

I have E: D and am slowly getting to grips with it. My combat skills are pitiful so going to try doing runs and mining :)

and watching all the training videos... :)

5. Sysmon

Sysmon World of Warcraft Captain

ED all the way! Because... poking aliens!

:D S

Dolnor and Gizigog like this.
  6. Nye86

Nye86 Getting Started

Thanks for posting this. I have no experience with either game, but I have often asked this same question in my head. It's good to read what people have to say about them. I'm hesitant to commit to such a large game, but I will ask this question; is E : D the type of game you can walk away from for a month and come back to and get right back into it?

I'm easily distracted by the newest shiniest game.. or even a mobile game.. or a shiny object in my periphery. I need games I can walk away from for an extended time and not feel like I missed out.

7. Sysmon

Sysmon World of Warcraft Captain

I find Elite Dangerous to be such a game you can walk away from. It can be played for a while, then put aside. There are no raids or progressions or anything to keep up with. There are Community Goals, but these are renewed every week or two. There is a very slowly unfolding story, but usually nothing is missed even if you skip past it.

The human occupied part of the galaxy changes, however. So you may find you were in a great system for trading or fighting pirates, but coming back the status may have changed to war or peace or famine or something, and you will have to go somewhere else or do something else there.

Personally I have spent a bit of time the last few months unlocking engineers to modify my ship. I stopped after unlocking the last one, and picked the game up again two months later. I was able to continue from exactly where I was, and even had an easier time here later on, as somebody else was trading in the small system I was in when I first arrived and I had to compete for goods. When I came back, the person must have moved on, as I could find plenty of stock.

:D S

8. 2_islands

2_islands Dark side ... Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Star Citizen is a wonderful ... test environment. Play 5 minutes and walk away for the next test version release. As for the real StarCitizen game, when it is finally released, no idea.

9. flyinkiwi

flyinkiwi Active Member

I bought Elite Dangerous when it first came out. Logged in for the first time, and the seamless and immersive world ate hour after hour of my life. I logged into SC for the first time and fell through the floor of the hangar to my death while trying to figure out how to get into my spacecraft. That kinda sums up the difference between the two. I'm sure S:C will be a great game one day.

paradroid likes this.
  10. Gizigog

Gizigog Active Member

The current shiny object for me is the new WoW expansion however I do not feel as if I have 'left' Elite and can happily come back to it and pick it up exactly where I left it :)