Stalker

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Parkey, Nov 9, 2008.

1. TJet

TJet Well-Known Member

I got caught out 1st time through and didn't have a recent enough save to go back to. Had to struggle through to the end with inadequate armour.

2nd time I took it up to that point and then backtracked to complete as many side missions as I could find. When I couldn't find any more I joined a faction (I joined Freedom). The missions then involve attacking and taking over posts held by the other side (Duty). Just don't join a faction too soon as it can make completing some missions difficult.

2. Parkey

Parkey Well-Known Member

Anyone completed the bandit mission yet?

I have like 5 times and the bandits keep coming back to there HQ and taking it back over. Dont know how to stop them.

3. TJet

TJet Well-Known Member

You can't. No group can be completely wiped out and they'll repopulate their HQ.

4. Parkey

Parkey Well-Known Member

Well this is getting exciting.

I just went down into the caves. But before that in the Garbage area I got the crap beaten out of me and lost my artifacts. So now I will have to go back and get my artifacts again. They use that mind control stuff and one of the artifacts stopped them from being able to do so.
    So back to the dump yard for Parkey to hunt around for artifacts.
    What artifacts did you guys find? Anything to increase armour etc?

5. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Well-Known Member

I haven't been too big on artifacts... it seems I end up using too many heath packs and my patience. Do you use the method I mentioned or did you dicover a better way?

What caves? Do you mean the underground with the flames and bloodsuckers?

Did any of your traders die? I walked back in one evening and he was lying dead across his desk. Forgot the name of the zone... the one with the attacks at the back gate and the trader up the stairs on the second level.

6. TJet

TJet Well-Known Member

Haven't had any trader die but I have heard of it happening to other people.

The artifact I like the best is the one that reduces the effect of radiation. It will also help heal you from exposure to radiation. It's essential for retrieving caches in some of the areas of high radiation. The other one I like allows you to carry more but it emitts radiation so you have to use it in conjunction with the anti-radiation one.

7. welshman

welshman Well-Known Member

I just sell the bloody things cause they give me heaps of Mulla for really sexy BFG's :D

8. Wayfarer

Sounds like a true gamer! Played any Quake lately? :)

9. Parkey

Parkey Well-Known Member

Thats the Freedom trader. I just came from that zone but cannot remember the name of it.

I got beaten up by these two bandits chasing down some guy and lost both my artifacts. The bandits took all my money and I have 1 clip left. So basically I have nothing.
    Way the area you mention is correct the bloodsuckers and the flames. I have no artifacts to counter the radiation. Think I may need to back track a little to find some more artifacts. I find the anolmolies easier to find at night. But then again usually there are a pack of dogs around the area.

10. Parkey

Parkey Well-Known Member

Well looks like my Stalker days are coming to an end.

Everytime I try to load a game it keeps coming up with
    xrEGINE.exe has stopped working.

Googled it and nothing much around of use.

Thoughts?

11. Wayfarer

hmmm. copy the user profiles/saved games stuff out of the folder, reinstall game, patch, then copy files back?

12. Parkey

Parkey Well-Known Member

Ok that was strange. Wouldnt work so I went back to an old save game and now have zero issues. But still sometimes when I try to load a save game it jams. But a little patience and all is good.
    I'm up to the part where I had to kill the stomping mutant. What a tuff dude.

But now, I have zero cash, no armour, and my guns are shocking and no ammo.

Did you guys go back?

I was thinking of heading back, repairing my armour and updating my guns. I only really have 1 sniper rifle that is no that great. Its like the SVD really. Haven't used my rocket launcher yet at all. The grenade laucher is shocking unless your at height.

13. Parkey

Parkey Well-Known Member

Ok very frustrating trying to walk miles with loot.

14. TJet

TJet Well-Known Member

LOL. Yeah, I've had to do that.

15. Wayfarer

Yup, to avoid too much of that I would leave stashes at key places, but yes the long slow walk is tedious but valuable part of the game.
    To help with yield I dumped my "permanent kit" nearby. That way I wasn't carrying stuff I didn't want to trade... makes the run back much faster too.

Arhhh the stomping mutant... that blasted red forest gave me goosebumps... or as our son's Japanese teacher once said "Chicken skin" (she is ESL)

Parkey likes this.
  16. Parkey

Parkey Well-Known Member

Yeah I had to travel back to the main towns to sell my loot. I have no money and no bandages left. These zombies dont require bandages. ;)

I have to meet with the comander now so went the long way instead of through the forest.
    Also I have to take out certain strategic place now which means firing at neutral stalkers. Its really strange as I go to height, aim my gun, then open fire and watch them all turn on me.

I have left Freedom faction and gone to Duty. Those continues annoucements must have turned me to them. lol

Way did you find yourself heading back after the forest?
    Is there another trader further on?

17. Wayfarer

I've purposely not joined any faction: which means I've been neutral to everyone. So, firing on stalkers to get a key objective hasn't happened to me.

The mission at the end of the red forest is a point of no return. Once you leave the red forest for Limansk via the tunnel you cannot return so make sure you're kitted up well... especially your suit.

18. Parkey

Parkey Well-Known Member

Whats the best suit you can get?

Also where that stomping mutant is, there are two artifacts. Did you manage to get them at all? Everytime I went near it I just went blury and if I didnt back off I would die.
    So the last trader is in Duty then? I thought there may have been one closer. Also the last technican is in Duty as well. Which means I have to walk a mile back to repair everything.

19. TJet

TJet Well-Known Member

Working off memory here so I might not quite have it right.

After killing the monster you have to find an anomaly which transports you to the Forester. Pretty sure he is able to repair weapons and armour but he can't do upgrades. He will give you a mission to retrieve an artefact. There's also a technician in the tunnel you get the artefact from. After that there are couple of main missions that which revolve around help a trapped group of stalkers in the Military Warehouse area. Once you've accessed the Military Warehouse area it opens up a pathway back to the Garbage dump making it a bit easier to move around.

Can't remember where I got it from but I've got the bulat armoured suit. Pretty sure if it's not the best then it's damn close. I either got it from one of the traders or as a reward for a mission can't remember exactly. One thing to note is that the equipment offered by some traders gets better as your rank increases. You also are given equipment as a reward when you join a faction. Don't join a faction until you've completed the mission where you have to take the bridge. After you take the bridge you are given the Scout the road through Limansk mission and this is where the game becomes linear.

20. Parkey

Parkey Well-Known Member

Just picked a nice gun from some Freedom dude. He was a handful to take down. Had massive armour. The gun has so many upgrades. I was then walking back to the trader to get some more ammo and bandages. You wouldn't believe it ran into a pack of dogs, I thought taste some of this you nasty savages. Then out of nowhere my gun jams. Here I am stuck in the middle of nowhere with 10+ dogs running after. I keep running while clicking into the inventory screen trying to swap guns. I finally get to my backup gun turn around and click out of ammo. WTF. Then I go ahhh yeah thats right thats why I had to knife him.

So the dogs eat me. So now I have to go back and find a new way around. I love this game!