STALKER - first impressions

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by vine, Mar 23, 2007.

1. vine

vine Well-Known Member

Agreed - I finished it and had every intension of starting again with a few mods installed, but so far havnt got around to it. might eventually when i have more time... but it is a little frustrating. Next patch should be out soon, add a few mods to that and it;ll be a whole new game.
    I do love the atmosphere though, can't beat it.

2. vine

vine Well-Known Member

Ive been playing a bit of multiplayer and I have to say, it sh**s me to tears. The engine just has too many glitches and annoyances to make it a good MP game. Not the least of which is the BUY menu. AAARRRGG!! CS tards abound on the servers too.
    I'll be sticking to single player I think.

3. cookie

cookie Getting Started

yeh, MP is a bit ordinary - just large arenas.

For the buy option at the start of game- just set up your prefered preset first up. (e.g an auto weapon)

Tip - press caps lock to see names on your team and location.

4. vine

vine Well-Known Member

It stuffs with my key config too - capslock is always my SPRINT key. plus is it just me or does flashlight/nightvision NOT work in Multiplayer?
    Also the quickkeys for bandages/healthpack ( [ & ] ) dont work. is it just me?

5. eesx

eesx Active Member

Interesting bug with LAN games and S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - pelao and I were mucking around and we realised that he couldnt see me at all.

Eventually when he got sick of what he assumed was my masterful camping, we met on a rooftop face to face, and walked over to check each other's screens.

Pelao's screen showed an empty rooftop.
    My screen showed pelao standing there staring into space.

He shot at me hundreds of times in a point blank arc (I was standing right in front of him) and didnt hit me - I shot him once in the head and killed him. We checked it again the next round and we were both visible to each other.

That basically killed multi for us completely. The minute chance that the other person just may not be able to see you at all completely stuffs the game, because you rely on spotting small movement. If you spend 20 minutes scrutinizing the landscape and still see nothing...well. Is it a bug? Or are they awesome campers?

It seems to be a fairly small chance (we tested it for a few rounds afterwards and couldnt replicate it) but still. Checking with each other that you are visible is... ridiculous.

6. vine

vine Well-Known Member

ROFL eesx. thats classic

7. Tiger74

Tiger74 Guest

I have it on good authority the single player aspect may have as many as 6 or 7 endings.

WTF?! Check out GameFAQs.

8. sperex

sperex Laboratory Manager Captain

I can only think of 5 ways to fall asleep.. Wonder what the other two are. :p

Might be the incentive to start it again I was looking for though.

9. Pte_OMARK

Pte_OMARK Well-Known Member

well i got it and i didnt like it much at first, but i cant stop playing it now. im averaging about 70 fps but it keeps stuttering every minute or so as i move around.

how did you guys complete the arena? i cant get past the 1 v 2 spetsnaz guys. by the time i kill one im down to 10% health AFTER using my med pack.

10. vine

vine Well-Known Member

get up on the boxes and wait for them to come to you. And go for headshots mate. drops them instantly.

11. Patch

Patch Guest

Just getting into it now. Only thing that bugs me thus far is the fact that it takes a long time to get from zone to zone. Very tedious running.
    (There probably is a quick way right?:oops:)

12. vine

vine Well-Known Member

Nope - you have to leg it all over the map. There was going to be vehicles but they were taken out to expedite the release. There's a Mod availale that puts them back in though.

13. Patch

Patch Guest

Ah ha! That would explain why that AWOL soldier I had to find and snuff out said something about a vehicle his boss pinched and hid. No wonder I cant find the bloody thing! hahaha.

14. eesx

eesx Active Member

Only real travel method I've found is stick to one rifle, (no pistol) carry over 500 rounds, a few chunks of food/bandages/medkits (stay under 45kg if you can) and stack on the +end modifying Artifacts :p

Perma fast run with virtually no endurance loss is a blessing after stumping around carrying 59.9kg's of loot.

Oh - and I have no idea if the same 2 Artifacts on your belt actually stack. DND rules typically say no, many other games say yes. I tend to use only one of each type to play it safe anyways.

15. vine

vine Well-Known Member

I think they do stack eesx.

16. Patch

Patch Guest

So how do you guys like your loner legs?

Medium or well done?

[​IMG]

:D

17. vine

vine Well-Known Member

Crispy, tastes like Tofu...

18. sperex

sperex Laboratory Manager Captain

I found a way to make replaying this game fun....

Grab a trainer, some script mods and go rambo on anything that moves.

The bestest bit was buying the gauss rifle, scoped rifle one you find in the army base and an army exo-suit before even walking outside :p

1 person likes this.
  19. symondo

symondo Just Joined

just finished

Thoroughly enjoyed this game had no real bugs - didn't get the trading tho didn't need any of the money really and no one had anything worth buying that you couldn't rob off the dead!! :D
    Only real let downs was 1)certain missions reapearing after completion don't really want to do them again! 2) no transport got really pissed off with walking/running miles to do a mission then go miles back just to pick up my reward! BORING!
    the atmosphere was great and do recommend this game am gonna get lost planet for my PC now as I have heard it awesome!
    also saved before the end to try some of the alternate endings - some are at the wish granter (big Stone) and the others are at the lab in the same building which is "fun" to get at cos its well guarded - but you also need a code from the decoder to get in :rolleyes:- hint - go see the doctor and follow his directions

20. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

Ok... I've FINALLY gotten around to playing this!

I've got a dual boot setup going here, and after trying it on XP, and having it totally freeze every time I loaded a saved game (yes, after I had patched it) I decided to try it on Vista.

It's working well enough, and only crashed on me once so far (only an hour or two into it) and is going fine.

Question is: Is there any way to turn the mini map on or off? For some reason, it's off... Having played it previously (XP) I know how it works, but for this new game I've started, it only shows a white dot in the middle... and that's it. It's like it's dead.

Also... what the hell do the number(s) on the bottom right of the mini map represent? I'm guessing its a giger counter of sorts... but there's no mention of it in the manual, so I'm going blind on this one.

Any help will be appreciated.