STALKER - first impressions

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by vine, Mar 23, 2007.

1. vine

vine Well-Known Member

Just been playing through the long awaited STALKER. For a game that was in production for 6 years it looks pretty good! really nice lighting effects and textures.
    It runs fairly well so far, I like the inventory system and the RPG elements, but there a few massive gripes.
    The weapons are ineffective: they have terrible accuracy and minimal stopping power. Perhaps once I find the sniper rifle things will change but... It's far too hard to line up a good shot with the ironsights.
    No QuickSave: yeah thats right, NONE! you have to ESC to the main menu then choose save game then give it a name... very tedious.
    Low-Crouch: since when did having to press 2 buttons at once to crouch become popular? SHIFT+CTRL really bad keymapping. And I can't assign it to only CTRL (which is my usual PRONE key)

other than these things its a really engaging game, I can see a good many hours/weeks put into it :)

2. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

i'm getting my copy this weekend and will host a server asap
    are you interesed in testing the mutliplay out?

3. Gelatine101

Gelatine101 Active Member

i sometimes wonder whether games introduce "realistic spread" and crap like that to hide the fact that they have phuqued up net code for their hitscan weapons - although i realise you're talking about single player

great to hear - hopefully i can wrangle a copy this weekend too :)

4. vine

vine Well-Known Member

yeah I realise that it's right at the start of the game, hopefully later weapons will be more accurate and more deadly. And Ned yeah for sure i'd love to try out some multi.
    my xfire is v1ne

5. Stompya

Stompya Company Commander

Quick save F6, Quick Load F7.

Game is fun, I dont think it quite lives up to the hype, but it is a very good one compared to some of the other rubbish released recently. You do go through a lot of ammo at first, but a headshot is still a headshot, once you get something with a bit more punch its not so bad.

I found the crouch setup annoying as well, I half solved it by changing control key from toggle crouch to crouch, then I just need to hold shift for the lower crouch. Still not great though.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  6. vine

vine Well-Known Member

weird, i tried all the fkeys but none of them worked...

7. Stompya

:confused: Dunno, working fine here

8. Tiger74

Tiger74 Guest

I bought the game yesterday, installed today and each time I run the .exe file, nothing happens...... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

bah, will uninstall and try again over the weekend [​IMG]

9. mayday

mayday Well-Known Member

Haven't tried the quick save etc., but do agree with the crouching setup, not a favourite of mine. I'd also like to see a prone setting.

Yes the weapons are fairly ineffective atm, but to me that adds a little realism to it. To many games nowadays give you weapons that will bring a man down over 400m from the beginning of the game. I think they are well balanced atm. To be honest, I haven't really adventured outside the first staging area so can't really comment on the other weapons avbl.

Over all, for the limited hours I've played it, I like it. The combination of RPG and FPS is good and all the little side quests takes it away from the standard FPS of finished that level, what's next. Can't wait to really get my teeth into it.

Unfortunately Ned, I'll be working most of the weekend so doubt I'll have the time, but yeah would like to have a whirl at MP.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2007
  10. vine

vine Well-Known Member

I had this same prob mate, along with all my steam games (HL2 & dark messiah which I just bought) they installed fine but then once I opened the exe...nothing!
    I got jack of it and just did a full XP reinstall (had a few other probs anyway) STALKER works fine now, but the steam games wont fire up. man I HATE steam.
    I searched around for some answers before the reinstall but none of it worked.

and in regards to my quicksave/load issues: I didnt have F-Lock turned on hehe so all my fkeys were doin other functions. oops

I got into some tunnels tonight, very spooky missioning around in the dark. had to take it carefully room by room. Founs a few cool Artifacts that realy help. Also found some better weapons, more accurate and more damage. I really hope your max carrying weight ges increased later on in the game. 50KGs is definitely not enough. Ive started really making use of the quickkeys for bandages and healthpacks, important when ur in the middle of a firefight. One thing tat bugs me though, even though the AI is really intelligent (it will flank you ad take up defensive positions) they ALWAYS seem to know where you are. so when I duck behind some cover and try to sneak around I get spotted.

11. bigtabs

bigtabs Well-Known Member

I've hardly been able to peel myself away from this game since I got it several days ago (shipped early, lucky me!). Sure it's got it's bugs and quirks, but the atmosphere is wonderful and personally I really like the combat. I was very unimpressed with the combat at first, but the more I played it the more it made sense and was enjoyable.

You might think the weapons are ineffective, but what about the poor NPC's who are shooting the hell out of you and yet you live on? ;)

The early weapons you get do suck ass, but they make for good gaming as you are really struggling to survive and must choose to pick your targets carefully. A good rule of thumb is to go for the headshots using single fire mode.

Also note that there is deviation particularly with the old crappy weapons that you find,buy or perhaps loot off dead rookie bandits, where the sights may be misaligned, as you'd expect with such out of date and beaten up junk. There is also bullet drop which is very noticeable over distances depending on the gun and the type of ammo you put in it.

The later weapons however can be devastating if used correctly. You will really value your pet favourite guns after a while, especially when you mod them with scopes, silencers and noob tubes.

There are a few features I really like about this game:

Different enemies may use different tactics, which is something I like a lot. For example, coming up against 6 inexperienced bandits will probably seem like quite a chaotic fight, but 6 veteran soldiers can really put the work in with flanking and distraction techniques.

When you are reading your PDA, or hunting through you backpack, the world goes on. This makes for some very entertaining gameplay when you are trying to drag a body behind a wall to loot the ammo you need to shoot the guys that are shooting at you, or if you stupidly stand in the middle of a 'hot' area reading your map only to find yourself under attack by some crazy critters.

It can one minute feel like Far Cry, with expansive terrain to explore, then Half Life 2 with its abosorbing Eastern European decay feel, then Doom 3 as you trudge round underground or through buildings at night with your flashlight, jumping at every sound and emptying frantic rounds into very ugly and scary things might suddenly charge at you out of the darkness. It seems to basically steal some of the best concepts from some of the best games around. That's not to say it's perfect, it surely isn't, but a few patches and a few decent mods later and who knows? I've heard it compared to Deus Ex and System Shock, but I've not played those games so couldn't say. I do know they are very well thought of though.

There is a lot to like about Stalker if you don't mind the quirks and occasional glaring issues. Here is a good review that pretty much completely echoes my sentiments about it. Review - S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow Of Chernobyl // PC /// Eurogamer

Last edited: Mar 24, 2007
    Spectre8 likes this.
  12. hadrian6616

hadrian6616 Well-Known Member

If you didn't like Boiling Point then don't get this game! The games could be clones.

It needs a patch. Badly. When i quit the game the console comes up and gives all this cool information. I don't care about that, i just want to quit back to windows!

If you have a slow system then don't bother. Less than 1gb mem? Don't bother. My o/c 7900gt struggles with the framerate, got anything less, don't bother.

HEAD SHOTS RULE. ONE SHOT ONE KILL! Especially during the early stages. Get close, jump around and BOOM the head shots on the bandits.

13. Stompya

If your having performance probs the game can be forced to use directx 8, instead of default directx 9

14. hadrian6616

hadrian6616 Well-Known Member

After playing more i have mixed feelings about this game. It reminds so much of Boiling Point. If i remember correctly BP's 1st patch was like 100mb.
    When will Stalkers patch be released i wonder? I haven't reached Pripat or the reactor yet - so heres hoping it kicks some radioactive butt.

Overall i say if you like the RPG/FPS combo style then get it. For added realism buy some camo clothing and a balaclava and play it like you mean it.

15. sperex

sperex Laboratory Manager Captain

Very interesting game. Can get a bit frustrating, and there's definitely an art to working out the best place to stash your favorite gun for later retrieval. But still, 12 or something hours down, and still enjoying it, (working my way to Chernobyl now, been stuffing around with side missions :D).

Xray engine is.... buggy... crash count is at 25 so far..

No real worries with performance, vis distance full, lighting full, shadows full, 1680x1050, textures+other things I don't really care about at 1/2th and I seem to get a good framerate regardless of how many people are trying to kill me. (7950gt, 3800 Ath64x2, 2Gb ram)

Kinda feels like I'm playing elder scrolls or something...

1 person likes this.
  16. cookie

cookie Getting Started

got it.
    I like it so far.
    nice atmosphere..

1 person likes this.
  17. BubbaGump

BubbaGump Getting Started

I'm really enjoying it, even with the bugs.

Not had a go at multiplayer yet - anyone else got any opinions?

18. vine

vine Well-Known Member

had a bash at multiplayer but only servers were in the US so 300+ ping.
    hanging till theres some oz servers, unless we can get a tog server going. my adls2 should handle it for 4 players maybe. hanging out for my damn 8800gtx to arrive so i can pimp the graphics setting up hehe

19. t0p5ecret

t0p5ecret Retired Captain

Played around 8 hours so far moved from the first area to the garbage and now onto the research facility and Streklov's rumoured stash under the facility, I haven't had a single problem with the engine so far, no crashes or hangs at all. My one big gripe and this may be because I am playing on Veteran level is that even after I have just completed a mission like defend the train depot from bandit attack, I walk out the other end of the depot and get hit by yet another wave of bandits, not 1 minute after I have just dealt with 8 of them and got no ammo left. Does anyone else feel that the waves of enemy's occur far to often?

20. wazza

wazza Getting Started

is the full game as glitchy as the mp demo was or is it improved (may have been hamachi causing the probs?)i thought it was just like hl2 with some extras as the graphics are identical.