some questions about destiny

Discussion in 'Destiny (Public)' started by mesterjester, Sep 29, 2014.

1. mesterjester

mesterjester Getting Started

so i just started playing on the ps3 a few days ago and had a few questions about the game.

during a story mission, i was exploring _not_ in the direction of my waypoint and i got a "turn back" message with a countdown. i turned around before it hit zero but was confused by that. i know there's occasional treasure chests and dead ghosts and collectibles like that, but i guess i shouldn't worry about those during story missions? should i just bee-line it to my waypoints during story missions and not worry about missing collectibles?

and does every story mission have a treasure chest to be found? i've really tried to be careful about checking everywhere but, at least in old russia still, i've not found a treasure chest in each mission. or are treasure chests generally not worth the time i'm spending on trying to find them?

as far as gear goes, i bought a new warlock class item engram from the cyptarch and it decoded into a new item, but when i compared it to the original one i started the game with, i saw neither one had any stats at all on it. why would i ever want to buy a new one of these? or is this the slot where you put the different faction rep grind items? do these items ever have stats?

in the grimiore, i have a few gold cards unlocked, like the "gjallarhorn" rocket launcher. does that mean i have this item somehow? or have seen it in game? it seems odd i would have cards for things i haven't acquired yet.

and finally, without really trying to, i'm lvl 9 but my next story mission is the first moon mission, which is lvl 6 i think? is there any downside to being over-leveled for the story missions? or does that just give me an easier time and quicker kills?

2. DataShade

DataShade Getting Started

Yes.*

No.

They're worth getting, especially if you're at-level or going to make alts. Generally, there are four outside the planet's Strike and one inside it.

*Supposedly, if you get the first four before getting the one in the strike (you can do the strike, just don't loot the gold chest), the last one has a guaranteed special reward like a new sparrow or a blue. Most of the time, the "first four" can be found in patrol missions if you don't find them in story missions, but it may be worth consulting a guide on the internet as to where to find them. (I've found that no one guide does a particularly excellent job of explaining how to get all five on any one planet, so I've had to use at least two different sites for planets where I didn't find them all myself.)

Well, they look different, slightly, but the Warlock one is so tiny it's hard to tell the difference between one common/uncommon and another (at least, to me).

Yes, that is what they're for primarily.

Seems to be "no," but rumors abound of secret/hidden stats.

Did you do the free codes thing? redeemablecodes - DestinyTheGame Did you find dead ghosts?

The only downside is that the mission reward loot is the level of the mission, not your level. All the random drops will be your level, and the engrams will decode to something near whatever level you are when you decode them (so if you fill your bank and decode them at 20, they'll be, like 16-20 depending on rarity).

mesterjester likes this.
  3. mesterjester

mesterjester Getting Started

woah, awesome info dump of answers! thank you!

i'll look up the chests then and try saving the strike one for last. and i'll just not worry about it in missions. missions were taking me forever since i kept looking for stuff.

would it make more sense to decode all the engrams at like lvl 18, and use that gear to help me get to 20? it seems like at lvl 20 there's lots of stuff you can buy from your class trainer and the faction vendors. can you start the rep grind to buy all that gear before you hit 20? or is that a "end game" activity?

and yes, i did do the redeemable code thing. i had forgotten all about that. :)

thanks again!

4. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

To late for me I think I got the Strike one's so no go for the bonus stuff.

5. DataShade

I've never seen a green item come out of an engram at a level higher than 18. But I've seen three or more blue items come out of green engrams - and all of them after I hit 20.

Those items cost Marks, Vanguard or Crucible, and you can only get 100 of each mark type per week. In order to get a full set of legendary armor (with explicitly-listed stats, anyways) from your vanguard mentor, it'll cost 315 marks. With 195 you can get chest, gloves, boots, but you'll still need two weeks to do that.

You start earning the rep at level 1 - for vanguard, and crucible, at least. Do Patrol missions for or level 20+ strikes for vanguard, crucible for crucible. Bounties for either, as listed on the bounty tokens.

You can't earn marks until 18. You can't earn rep for Dead Orbit, New Monarchy, or Future War Cult until 20, when you can equip one of their class gear items (which turns all rep into their rep).

Happy to pass along what I've learned.

6. DataShade

Did you get a Sparrow from the one at Sepiks? Blues from the strike-chests on Moon and Venus?

7. Coralon

Coralon Active Member

I can confirm you dont need to get all the non strike chests to get blues from the gold chest as I got a blue item last night from the level 20 Venus strike and prior only had 2/5 for Venus.