SOE "Clone Wars Adventure" In Open Beta

Discussion in 'Free to grind' started by Atrayo, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Atrayo

Atrayo Retired Captain

Hi Folks,

For those not aware that the latest MMO from SOE (Sony Online Entertainment) is about to go retail this coming September 15th. With that stated the game is in a open beta phase Right Now.

Clone Wars Adventures: Home

I'm in it and the download is via the browser which was initially like 79mb's. Similar in many ways to "Free Realms" for those that have played that kiddie Mmo.

You'll find me in that community under my TOG name of "Atrayo. :)

2. jillaroo81

jillaroo81 Active Member

May as well try it out while waiting for the real thing :D

3. r8response

r8response Well-Known Member

Nothing but video card errors for me :(

4. Azhi

Azhi Well-Known Member

yep same for me, videocard errors

5. jillaroo81

jillaroo81 Active Member

I tried to launch the game after making my acc and downloading it, but it keeps booting me back to the 'play now' screen after I launch it. Any idea's?

6. KiwiRed

KiwiRed Getting Started

Had a look, and while some of the mini-games I tried were fun (the tower defense one is particularly entertaining, but the stunt gungan one left me unimpressed, especially with it's odd control scheme) and currently mostly bug-free for me (no video card issues with my system, although the game did freeze once after completing one mini-game), the need to subscribe to gain access to levels past the tutorial and the following 2-3 levels is off-putting. Lack of gamepad support is surprising (everything's mouse+kb) - the space combat and speeder bike racing games in particular would have been perfect with it.

Initial impression is it just looks like yet another pretend-f2p game that's really just a non-time-limited trial for the subscription+cash store full game (like EQ2E), although that's really a rant for another time...

7. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

I got in, but it seems it is all mini-games. I didn't find an area where you can quest and kill things with my light saber. The tower game was pretty cool. I tried a few mini-games, and they had a bunch. They were all decent games in their own right, but I didn't really see much of a real tie in to Star Wars other than being contrived.

8. Atrayo

Atrayo Retired Captain

Hi Guys,

(My bad can a TOG Mod plz move this thread to the MMO F2P message board, thanks.)

Those with video card errors I looked at the SOE CWA forum and found this Thread.

Some dev's or mods from Sony have posted to it. Also, some users have reported needing to close there X-Fire or Ventrillo program and it cleared up their difficulty with the video card error.

---------------------

In regards to what we've been exposed to in an open beta it is limited. To the mini-games and a few zoned city areas. Although the mini-games are way more varied than what "Free Realms" launched with a year ago. I particularly like the droid mini-game called Infiltration. I can now relate to R2-D2 hacking consoles from the movies. :)

9. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

So, is this a 'true' free to play game Atrayo? i.e. the game has no subsription fee?

10. Atrayo

Atrayo Retired Captain

Hello Rickety,

(I See we're posting to threads at the same time today) ;)

Yes, SOE is going with the optional subscription of $5.99 a month. Where "Free Realms" is the optional $4.99 a month and the upcoming EQ2 Extended will be the optional $14.99 a month. (after the one time Silver upgrade)

The Clone War Adventures (CWA) will have the optional subscription and a micro-transaction in-game store for Station Cash SC. Station Cash is the SOE currency in many of their MMO and Facebook games that is used.

11. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

OKies :) Moving to F2P forum!

12. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

yeah I played Infiltration a fair amount along with the tower game... so is the plan to be more like Free Realms where you do quests and such, and the mini-games used for making in-game money?

13. Atrayo

Atrayo Retired Captain

Hi There,

My guess is that the launch of CWA will closely follow the content revealed via instances of the Cartoon Network of the 3rd animated season of "Star Wars: The Clone Wars". So if this 3rd season has 22 all original episodes than they'll have an opportunity to add content to this F2P Mmo about 22 times or so.

CWA (Clone Wars Adventures) launches on Sept. 15th and the animated 3rd season of The Clone Wars debuts on September 17th of that very same week.

From the CWA "News" tab:

Link.

That's my guess why in the open beta we're only limited to the "Jedi Temple" so far in the shared game world.