So what keeps you playing?

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Rickety, Jan 18, 2005.

1. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

As a setup for this post, I am subscribed to both EQ2 and WoW. I thought that I'd play both and see which one I'd like and then drop the other.

My problem is, I really enjoy both :D

So, this leads me to this most perplexing question. Which game should I stick with? What keeps you playing a MMORPG? I have read that many of you have played games such as EQ, DAoC, etc for many years.

I think one of the main reason is the people. I continued in Horizons for quite a while due to the guild I was in (not TOG) rather than the game itself.

However, in my case, I like both EQ2 and WoW and both games have TOGers to keep me company :)

So, let me ask my question again and put it to you all, 'What keeps you playing?'.

2. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

The people and the content.

Once I run out of things to do, I start to get bored and restless. I can always hang out with the people in other games in TOG and the forums.

3. Twiz

Twiz Retired Captain

I like the learning curve...which is why I probably played EQ1 as long as I did...I never got to, or even near, the end game, and was always learning new things.

I really don't see either eq2 or WoW lasting that long in interest due to their limited "class" systems. Classes are all so balanced, if you played one priest you've played them all...as an example, in EQ1, I had a 59 cleric, 58 shaman, and 54 druid...that will never happen in EQ2 or WoW because they are all so similar, whereas in EQ1 they were VERY different.

I would imagine once I get one of each class to the high end game, I will be looking for something different, unless there is new content raising the bar by then.

In EQ1, my first character was only lvl 19 2 months into the game. Here, in EQ2, I have a 32 cleric/44 provisioner, a 16 crusader, and an 8 scout...2 months into the game. When Frogloks are unlocked, I will make a mage class. Based on the WoW beta I played, I could level in WoW even quicker (if I could avoid the griefers)--I think my Druid was lvl 21 in a week, all solo...with TOG it would be vastly higher in that same time.

I was really looking forward to Wish (now cancelled) as EQ2 is becoming somewhat unchallenging (not that it was ever that hard with the conning system they use). I even started my crusader on the evil side in order to do the betrayal to provide some challenge. In the end, I think what really drives me to continue EQ2 is the ability to advance the guild and get EVERYONE perks through my personal actions, via patron writs.

4. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

Love WoW and sofar has kept me playing because

1) Haven't finished the quests in the Human lands
    2) Only just grazed the story in the Troll/Orc Hordish area, and just the tip of the quests and state of things there
    3) Can barely mention the story of the undead and their realms.
    4) Haven't tried classes beyond Alchemy, herbalism, skinning, tailoring, and leatherworking.
    5) Haven't tried all the classes, and I perceive them as different despite balancing. Each have different roles and main home area's. Each have different styles of combat or focus of combat. Throw on either the Horde mentality or Alliance etc.
    6) When trying something new you get alot of the enjoyment up front with alot of quests, a few morsels of the classes ability, and fun without having to work or feel a loss of not working on your other char.
    7) Has the feel of WoW, my rts days :D

This is different to SWG which was mainly
    1) STARWARS!!!!!!
    2) er, Starwars... Plus had starwars stuff in it
    3) what was then ok quests, didn't think there were better. Plus had alot to explore that just showed me more starwars. Environment was a big factor.
    4) watching a character develop.

After playing both, I prefer the abundance and huge choice that WoW starts with at the beginning. Starwars started you with very little and a long journey ahead of you. I don't think I could go back. Or, at this stage switch to a game that has that quality. I kept playing though cause it was Starwars, a bit of an escape from the day.

I keep playing WoW because it is still a world to me to adventure in, while I have fun :)

5. RoadY

RoadY Well-Known Member

G'day RedMan, (all replies welcome :))
    Appologies if this seams a little off topic- I did a search in TOG 4 Starwar and this came up

Im new to online gaming. Currently hooked on BF2, but I'm looking to expand my experience. IC that U are experienced (Jimi H- reference).

I tried WOW and kinda got bored with the this quest next quest etc, without any real perpose. maybe the storyline didnt grab me- dunno.

So I thought I'd try Starwars, coz as U said "Its starwars". I currently run a IRL d20 starwars game, and love it, I wrote in each player starts with a Padewan LS and build there own to become a Jedi Knight(with PLuses added to the weapon of course).

Id like to have a go at the Jedi stuff- is there a lot of farting around before you get to do any real Jedi stuff ie swing a lightsaber.
    I Didnt mind. Lords Of the old republic 1&2. Is it like that.

I notice there is a starter kit for Lvl1-10, does that give you a good look at the Jedi character or not?

6. Salti

Salti Well-Known Member

What keeps me playing any game is the uber-ness I'm just about to get next level! That's going to change my life and my play style - no more little dippy things to worry about, only really big new challenges!

Except when it seems like a while since I got any uber-ness, then I'm on to the next game. After all, the New Game must have some cool uber-ness at every level, don't you think? Yeah! At least it will have some different-ness from what I'm doing now.

Gotta go, I'm just about to get a cool new stealth-healing-pet-dot-buff!

Last edited: May 31, 2006
  7. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

road grime there is actually a SWG forum in the private MMo section if you would like info. :)

8. Sente

Sente Active Member

As long as there is something new in the horizon, where both the goal and the way to get to it is enjoyable - then will continue playing. Unless there is something else that might have even more enjoyable and new interesting content...
    The people one plays with is an important factor, but not the only one.

I tend to keep paying for subscriptions long after I have stopped playing a game, at least if it is a game I have enjoyed for a fair amount of time.

Looking at my track record of MMOs since I started about 5 years ago, the longest I have played one game continuosly is about a year - WoW is the longest, followed by Anarchy Online, Earth&Beyond and FFXI, more or less. And a few others in shorter bursts so far... Right now EQ2 is climbing in positions in that regard.

9. Atrayo

Atrayo Retired Captain

Hi Rickety,

Well what keeps me playing in a MMORPG?

Twiz, mentioned one of those goals i enjoy. Is for helping the guild reach some of it's goals in-game and in the web community.

Other things that can keep me in a MMO game. Is the overall maturity of the game community, be it server restricted or otherwise. With that comes the drama of the community on-goings that leads to it's politics.

Being able to explore various game play options or paths for my avatar. Be it content or leveling, although too much extreme grinding is a negative for moi.

10. Marchosias

Marchosias Getting Started

I like the "discovery" aspect of PvE as well as some of the "competition" aspects of PvP. My main game, and the one I keep going back to, is DAoC. Its PvP ruleset is simply the best one out there as far as I'm concerned. 2nd favorite is a toss up between Anarchy Online and WoW. AO was just a nice Sci-Fi diversion to get away from elves and dwarves and such and blast things with a gun.

WoW had to grow on me, I didn't like the 'toony graphics and the FFA PvP was annoying. But I was in a great guild and most of the members had been guildies from DAoC. PvP w/o an over-arching purpose is just griefing, but I hate PvE only games as well 'cuz there's just no point... I DID like most of the questing system in WoW and the gameplay was fun too. As a die-hard pet class player, I loved my Necro and my Hunter - fun! fun! fun! But I had to quit once it became obvious that I was going to have run Molten Core about a billion times before I got any of the phat loot that you NEEDED in order to compete in PvP.....boring....

I've lately tried DDO, EVE, CoH/CoV, and EQ2 and they've all left me cold. Either no way to solo, no PvP (or no compelling PvP), or too much of grind before anything fun happens. At least in DAoC you can hop into level-appropriate battle grounds and whack folks anytime you want. The only diversion that actually held my interest lately was Guild Wars, and I'm probably going to go out and get Factions, play a few toons to max again, and then re-new my DAoC accts. until Warhammer is released. I may look at Huxley also, since it's supposed to be like an MMO version of UT, we'll see.

11. madjock

madjock Well-Known Member

at last someone who played this great game aswell before they canned it....wanna buy it they will sell it for a mear 40 million ( I know I asked :) )

Anyway back on topic, ..what keeps me playing a game for me it is variety in the game , new challanges and new areas etc....as soon as it gets repetative level after level than I tend to get a bit bored and the desire to progress wears off.

WOW was good but for me it just got "samey" the only reason I still have an account is the TOG folks in the guild ..if I go back they will still be there :)

I am always trying out new games looking for that magical new release that will keep me as enthraled as long as EQ1 did, so far I haven't found it..but I keep hoping.

12. Valkazon

Valkazon Well-Known Member

A bit like Madjock, I too like to have variety in a game, plus there must be some decent solo playing ability, crafting to make some interesting upgrades / enhancements etc and some PvP - but in particular zones or whatever rather than everywhere (so you don't have to do it if you don't want to).

In addition to that a good friendly guild is important IMO.

Not overly fussed about how great a game looks, as long as the play style is right.

Was playing DDO for a while, but like many before me (and after) - decided to quit as the content just wasn't there.
    At the moment I have returned to Dark Age of Camelot on the US servers which I played for years, because that truly does have all of the above, and with some of the recent changes, for me, it seems even better than I remember.

13. Sente

Sente Active Member

Hmm, maybe if I cut back a bit on the food this month and cancel my WoW account...:)

E&B had its issues, but it was great fun for the most part. I really liked that the world actually changed as part of the story line.

14. Marchosias

Marchosias Getting Started

I'm a lot like Valkazon - I like variety and finding new places and things. I've played a lot of different games, but I keep going back to DAoC 'cuz so far it's got the most of all the things I like and the least of things I find annoying.

Other games that held my interest for more than a month were WoW (doing high lvl. content over & over & over killed it for me), AO (just got bored with it after awhile), City of Heros/Villians (just got too big a pain in the butt at high levels to keep playing), Guid Wars - actually I'm still playing this since Factions came out, I quit for a bit between the original and factions after maxing some characters in the original.

Games I've tried but just couldn't get into after the first week or so were: EQ2, DDO, EVE, MatrixOnline, Planetside, BFxxxx. I'm going to give SWG a try with my SOE pass, but dunno. I'm *REALLY* looking forward to Warhammer, so just need something to kill off a year's time when it gets released, hehe. I'm dangerously close to reactivating my DAoC accounts...

15. Old School 68

Old School 68 Just Joined

This is a great thread because I am currently going through the same thing
    I played WOW as a beta and then for a good 9 months afterward, got up to a level 53 orc hunter but got bored and cancelled my character. Got into EQII cause I like all of the classes and graphics look nice but the PVP needs work.
    I am currently playing both and can’t decide either, not that I am cheap but I don’t want to pay a monthly fee for both games.
    My good TOG friend Ishiomshu and I are playing EQII just waiting for Warhammer although I still have WOW installed and play in my other ‘free’ time.
    For me the decision is all about the experience/adventure, the people you play with, pvp and classes.
    I want a MMORPG that is an adventure, with fast paced action. I want a pvp system that is ‘fair’ which allows you an opportunity to win a fight even if you get jumped first.
    I also like when a game give you a wide range of classes to play, on of my gripes with WOW is there is not enough classes and everyone looks similar, EQII is good but leveling seems to really slow down around 20 and pk’ers are everywhere especially if you are playing on the queynos side.
    After writing all of this I realize I have the same issues as you and really can’t decide, Ultimately it all comes down to the people you play with, it is after all and ‘online’ game where we are interacting with other players (which makes TOG so good).
    Good luck let me know what you decide it may help me, lol

16. Portents

Portents Getting Started

:) when u play in a PvP enabled game, u have to expect PK'ers. PvP players are all about player killing and dont give a shit about lvl difference or fairness.

i'm also at the getting bored playing games and the moment and will probably go get some books to read :)

17. Milada

Milada Getting Started

Hiyas :)
    I guess what keeps me interested in the MMORPG is the people and the content in the game. For some reason I always end up going back to EQ1. I played DAoC for about two years then went back to EQ cause I got bored, however I stayed in DAoC for a lot longer than I would have because of the people I played with. I am currently I'm playing both EQ1 and Planetside. EQ1 because I have a horrible tradeskill addiction and Planetside because I havnt played it in a long time and have to relearn everything.

18. Givias

Givias Getting Started

The thing is unless you're in a battleground, PvP for ganking purposes serves no real purpose. It's not like in the old UO days when you would kill someone and get all their loot. That's true PvP.

God, I remember dreading when I had to go through the Crossroads, west of Britain, to get to certain areas...that place was Ganker's Paradise on Catskills.

-G

19. Delim

Delim Getting Started

To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of the women!

20. RnR

RnR Retired Captain

Givias and Delim, I have a feeling that you guys would enjoy Eve Online. PvP is perfected to an art there. If you lose in a fight, your ship is destroyed and the enemy gets to pick over your loot... the loot that wasn't destroyed.

To get an idea on just how much pvp'ing goes on in Eve, take a look at this map. All the coloured areas are player alliances. The middle part is 'safe' empire space for new players.

Sorry for sounding like an ad man for Eve :grin: