Skyrim. Tips, tricks and cool stuff (possible spoilers).

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Justin Kace, Nov 14, 2011.

1. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain

Anyone got any tips for levelling restoration? I'm finding it very slow, it's certainly not keeping pace with my other main school, destruction. Best I've been able to manage so far is standing in front of a dragon soaking up flames and healing... Tedious!

2. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

If you can do this then game is telling you you do not need restoration ?

3. Elithawyn

Elithawyn Well-Known Member

I know this sounds silly but I actually started almost drowning myself then healing on land to level restoration :) You can also summon your conjured pet and attack it and heal yourself as it hits you back for being so mean. That can level conjuration, restoration and armor skills at the same time if your so inclined.

It does seem to be lacking when you just play the natural way considering most mobs die before hitting you so there is rarely ever a time when you need strong healing, but when you need it, you sooo need it.

4. Justin Kace

Yeah it's a bit of a menace actually. To level resto I need to heal myself. To heal myself I need to be damaged. To be damaged I need to have monsters beat on me. As a mage, that's dangerous. Even with 200 health, there are a surprising number of monsters that will one shot me. Some of them don't even look that mean. :(

5. Stray

Stray Active Member

Make drain health potions?

6. begbie

begbie Active Member

Restoration has always been a pain to level - i've been jumping of large heights and then healing the injuries. The drain health potion sounds like a good idea though, will have to give it a go.

A couple of tips or tricks i've come accross:
    • making potions can be a reasonable source of $$
    • thievery can be very profitable (particularly of ingredients for potions)
    • up the level of the spells you are casting - you will level much faster
    • don't be afraid to use your racial ability - particularly on some of the tougher characters you encounter early on
    • did you know you can assign favourites to quick keys! (I didn't :sad:)

7. Justin Kace

Yeah potions are a great way for making cash. Just finding someone to sell them all to can be problematic. Another good cash maker for a little more hassle is enchanted daggers which are a by-product of my working up enchanting anyway.

Basically I buy every iron ingot and ore I can, as well as all the lesser and petty soul gems I can lay my hands on. Then I get a sword with Soul Trap on it and run around the countryside killing every bunny, goat, wolf, etc etc to fill up as many soul gems as I can. Take the animal skins as well for leather.

Then I turn all the skins to leather, turn all the leather to strips, smelt all the ore, and use the ingots and leather strips to make a huge batch of daggers which I then enchant! They sell for a good 150 a pop. Hard to find enough people to sell to again!

Of course this gets my smithing up too, but I don't really care about smithing.

8. Valdomor

Valdomor Well-Known Member

I was doing a bounty hunting quest in the dungeon I think around NW of whiterun, to kill a bandit leader, forgot about the dungeon name. The guy who gave me this quest was the whiterun jarl assistant (forgot his name too lol but he is the guy whom let you buy your house). At the end of this dungeon there is a trap area full of spiky wood. You can hurt yourself by walking into it then back off and heal yourself full and rinse again. Easy skill up for restoration, i think i managed to skill up around 10pts in restoration and got bored and moved on.

I'll find out the dungeon name when i get back home after work tonight.

9. Ludy

Ludy Well-Known Member

10. Justin Kace

Traps is a great idea. Don't worry about the dungeon name, there are plenty with self resetting traps. ;)

11. hadrian6616

hadrian6616 Well-Known Member

Be careful of waterfalls. They have strong currents. Found out the hard way over a big one. First time ever in any game I've died by waterfall. Sweet.

12. Justin Kace

Haha yeah I have been swept to my doom as well. Was quite a surprise! :D

13. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

I haven't tried it myself, however here's a site that enable you to manipulate a whole heap of config options from dropdown boxes and have it output a config file for you. Just browsing it will highlight some additional options that may not currently appear in your config file.

SKYRIM | Do Not Argue

14. Justin Kace

Maxed out enchanting tonight and boy is it OP. With the perk that allows you to double enchant your items you can put 2 x 25% reduction in cast cost on 4 pieces of apparel. So you can set yourself up with a set of armour plus ring and neckalce that lets you cast spells from two schools for zip, zero, zilch mana costs.

Or you can do as I did just for some variety, use the second slot for massive mana regen so when you cast anything from your off-school it hits your reserves a bit, but you regen fully in only a few seconds.

Madness!!

15. Justin Kace

Ahh after many many hours of play I have finally realised what it is that I don't like about being in first person view. No head bobbing! It feels like I'm sliding everywhere!

16. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Wouldn't trust that config generator, those guys have half of the "better" settings backwards or descriptions are just plain wrong.

17. Ripp Savage

Ripp Savage Active Member

Awesome lol.

I'm currently in the process of maxing out Smith/Alch/Ench for that crazy OP build listed on the main forums. I'm going to try and go heavy armor with sneak because my main attack is bow so I should have enough distance to stay hidden.

I do want to try a magic build sometime but I'm hoping they patch destruction and fix scaling soon because that's what I want to try.

18. dday_0612

dday_0612 Well-Known Member

Can anyone link this "crazy OP build on the main forums" ?

Please

19. Ripp Savage

Ripp Savage Active Member

Np, here ya go.

2_islands likes this.
  20. Asmodai

Asmodai Well-Known Member

No judgement on those that do want the min/max dream but this would totally defeat the point of playing this game for me... = \