Shoot legs or not?

Discussion in 'Mechwarrior & Battletech (Public)' started by Carby, Apr 4, 2016.

1. Carby

Carby Getting Started

white_bear_84 likes this.
  2. white_bear_84

white_bear_84 Retired Captain

An interesting thread and great work by Tarogato on writing this up.

Give or take, some of this should be relatively well known and while on some mechs legs are a tasty target there are some exceptions which are cases where legs definitely do not apply.

Personally for heftier targets like Atlas/Whales I would prefer to aim for CT rather than legs purely so that 1. you potentially will reduce their firepower and 2. if the team is focus firing, aiming for CT is one easy target as opposed to two that transfer damage to two other components when destroyed and can be used to shield.

There are mechs like Mad dogs that I agree with, they have chunky legs and as tempting as the CT is, just works better.

But moral of the story, you can see why in early comp matches its legs legs legs, then as the weight goes up we focus on CT more in the big guys..

3. Y2KHippy

Y2KHippy Active Member

Back when I was in a competitive training squad, the light and medium lance were ordered to focus the legs while swarming. This was due to the fact that while running around a Mech we can target the leg no matter where the Mech was facing. If we had focused on the center torso we can only shoot it while in front of the Mech and thus diminishing damage output and having to go through a tougher area of the Mech which has more armor. Yes it is possible to focus on the back armor instead but this has the same restriction of facing and the Heavy/Assault lance would rarely have the option on hitting that area.

The unforeseen benefit of aiming for legs while in a swarm is that you are pointing your weapons towards the ground and so if you miss or your lasers slip off target momentarily they are likely to hit the ground and not a friendly also swarming the same Mech.

When a Mech is legged it can often be totally ignored from that time on. A light Mech can disengage the main brawl and clean up an isolated legged Mech by themselves just by staying in its rear firing arc.

4. flynia

flynia Active Member

Another option I usually like to do is 'XL Check' IS Mechs by crippling/knocking out one of the Shoulders.

I find this option incredibly useful on most of the IS Brand of mechs particulary lights to a degree as well as most Medium/Heavies (Jaggers I am looking at you here!)

This however requires you to aim at a relative small component (depending on the mech and your shooting skill) however can prove quite beneficial when coming across larger mechs.

Nothing beats taking down a Stalker/Atlas/King Crab with an Ebon Jaguar that for some dang reason has an XL Engine.

5. Y2KHippy

Y2KHippy Active Member

@Flynia

You need to also keep either in front of the enemy or behind it to keep on the same target. The bonus for shooting legs is that you get hits on target from front/side/rear.