Shogun II Total War

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Vulcan21, Jun 8, 2010.

1. Vulcan21

Vulcan21 Well-Known Member

2. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

I'm gonna miss my Napleon Era cannons.

3. Manyfingers

Manyfingers Retired Captain

Well .. its out now. Available on steam and all the usual places in oz.

Graphics are good, sound is good, immersion is good. The tutorials are actually helpful without making you feel inadequate for using them. However they need to give more info about diplomacy

I'm finding it a bit slow going in the campaign but I'm only a casual RTS player and I've found it a bit buggy, to be expected in week one of a new game these days though.

They released one "update" that locked out the entire player base which they "fixed" with another update. Last night they released another update which seems to have disabled multi-player ... not that I'm going to be doing much of that.

Anyone else got this yet?

ps .. it does have cannons !

4. Vulcan21

I have this latest title and really love it. It takes Total War back to a similar gameplay structure of the first release, which was Rome Total War.
    The single player campaign is naturally slow and the bugs are very few compared to previous releases.
    I am finding scrolling around the campaign map very laggy and unresponsive at times, which I put down to running the game on ultra I guess.

5. rawprawn

rawprawn Active Member

Bring on Rome TW 2.

6. Ace Rimsey

Ace Rimsey Company Commander

Lucky for me I waited until tomorrow to go and pick up my copy. Guess I will be in for some patching before I play my first game.

I gave up on Empire Total War because of all the ingame bugs.

7. Ace Rimsey

Ace Rimsey Company Commander

Actually Shogun Total War was their first ever release. I still have my copy which I played for ages back in the day. I never Did get any of the later ones like Rome or Medieval as they kept crashing on my Hardware. I did buy Empire Total Wars but the bugs were so bad i had to give up on that game too.

Bought Napoleon Total war too, but too busy to play it.

I hope I can put a good solid 2 months of gaming on TWS2.

8. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Haven't picked it up yet, I'll wait for a sale, admittedly there is so much gameplay and longevity in TW games that even the AU rip off price is worth it but I'm still playing Napoleon and I really want to finish my Euro campaign, then the peninsular one and then also play as England once as well before I move to Shogun by which time hopefully it does go on sale.

9. Crispimeat

Crispimeat Active Member

Shogun was the only Total War game I finished over and over again loved it, now Shogun 2 with 2 played co-op campaign is awesome and wished now all the TW series had this mode.

p.s. Father pick it up best TW game yet nothing like samurai hiding in the bamboo waiting for passing prey :D

10. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

I've been a fan ever since the first Shogun even though I can barely remember playing it - was that long ago.

The AI - uber challenging. Diplomacy is essential and cannot be ignored unless you want to have swarms of AI storming your castles every turn. They prey on the weak at their weakest points.

The design, the music, the art - a lot of care and attention has gone into this. I've only got about 15 hours and into a 2nd campaign after being handed my arse on the first for the very first time in a TW. Some discontent about what happens when you start dominating the map called a 'realm divide' that I've yet to experience. A mod is already in beta to balance that aspect.

If you're a fan, get it today. If you've got a whole bundle of games already in the queue (like I currently do...) wait for a special.

11. Vulcan21

Yes, I should've qualified my statement. Rome Total War was CA's first title that used 3D units with a new game engine.

12. Roosta

Roosta Retired Captain

I love the Total War series, but am still hesitant in getting this one.
    The only reason is that I don't like the "flags" that are attached to every single member of a unit.
    Does anyone know if this can be switched off or anything?
    From seeing the trailers it just looks like they detract from the overall graphics and are distracting.
    Any thoughts?..It may sound trivial, but I prefer to be focused on the fighting and not flags.
    It would be a shame if such an awesome looking game has a simple off-putting flaw.:(

13. theZee

theZee Retired Moderator

I know there is a setting to turn off the unit flag which hangs above each unit formation. It would add a tinge of realism when you view your army and the opponents.

Is anyone playing this game online? I just bought it the other day and it's great fun, it tkes me back to the very first Shogun Total War :) I was wondering if anyone is playing online.

14. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Beating this on hard is, damn hard!

Took me forever. You'll want to be stupid rich and have a handful of freshly made vassals just before you hit "realm divide". Use your vassals as shields while you make a march on Koyto, and make sure you have a massive fleet to guard your provinces form raids by the eastern clans.

Haven't tried playing hard with any eastern clans yet, so much harder to maintain wealth without the foreign trading ports to the west. I think you'd need a completely different strategy from beginning to end to make it work from there.

15. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Never really played much online Zee, found it too formulaic in that someone finds a decent strategy with certain units and all of a sudden everyone starts to use it.

I did try a campaign in Empire with Mech once which was quite interesting. If you start as rivals then you can battle each other instead of either auto-resolving or waiting for them to battle against the AI.

16. Kilgar

Kilgar Just Joined

I played Shogun back when it came out in 2000. I believe that was the miracle year. I have Medieval and Empire. I was more locked into Shogun addiction wise than the other titles although I love them all. Empire was my intro to Steam and there were so many problems that I could not play at all which was lousy since I paid full price for the game not knowing about Steam. Now that I just got Shogun 2, years after I last attempted to play Empire, I find that something was fixed because Empire works great now. At any rate I am so stoked on Shogun 2 that Empire will have to sit on the back burner for awhile longer.
    Here are a couple links to guides that are great for me. Also, putting here a link so that you don't need to open game to check the encyclopedia. This was a grrrreat find for me so I thought I would share:)
    file:///C:/Program%20Files%20(x86)/Steam/SteamApps/common/total%20war%20shogun%202/data/encyclopedia/how_to_play.html

Dark Side's Economy Guide for Shogun 2

Guide to the Guides (Total War: Shogun 2)

Ok, gotta get back to game:) Multiplayer looks like it will be a blast after I play campaign to get familiar with the new SHOGUN 2.

17. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain