Serenity back up

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by Irimar, Sep 26, 2013.

1. Penthrox

Penthrox Elite Dangerous Captain

Restarting now is not optimal but definitely preferable to 3 weeks down the track and losing even more.

2. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

I'd prefer to keep the current map. I don't see the corruption as a major problem, sure there was some ME cables and ender chests for me to put back, but I would think most people don't use the ME network and replacing a few chests is easy (the contents in them were even saved). Other than that I haven't seen many problems that can't be easily handled, at least not in my area of the world.

3. Brootal

Brootal Well-Known Member

I would like to keep what I've got, since I'm unlikely to do the same thing twice. However, I've only got 6 or 7 hours invested and agree now is better than later for a reset. Also, messed up ids could have all sorts of hidden issues we don't know about yet

4. Penthrox

Penthrox Elite Dangerous Captain

Steve's Carts is the issue.

That has been removed and that is why not many issues are arising. Add it back in and it will cause issues again.

Steve's Carts is an integral part of a few peoples set ups, to just to disable that would be unfair to them alone. A complete restart will fix all of the issues and allow everyone an even stomping ground.

Less than ideal but at least it solves all the problems that were no ones fault but the service provider.

5. HenriDeacon

HenriDeacon Retired Captain

Although i have built a nice little place to call home, i actually enjoy resets.

Exploring new areas is a real bonus for me so wouldn't mind starting over.

Could you please place some signs on your land. Saw many torches laid out but would love to know who all my new neighbours are :)

Would it help if we all fill our backpack with as much crap as we can carry and have our player files kept for the new map ?

Just an idea to reduce the impact on players as they already did the mining and crafting to get them and would reduce the hours lost...

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  6. Akira Doe

Akira Doe Active Member

The uncertainty is the killer at the moment. I've suddenly found it impossible to keep building anything. It has been fun exploring the map though, especially since this is my first taste of DW2

7. DeeP

DeeP Retired Captain

I think there are allot more negatives involved in keeping the world as it is currently, its the big picture everyone needs to take in to consideration not just how u feel right now but how you will feel in a month..

If we don't reset now it is inevitable that we will have to reset in a month or so - you will have way more to lose at that stage and wont have had enough time to complete everything you want to do with the modpack

If we do reset now we have less to rebuild to get back to where we were and we have the prospect of a good long time with the world to all be able to achieve a conclusion to our projects/ideas and have a complete modpack that will evolve with the updates smoothly

I love Henri's idea of filling your inventory to save going over some basics ... you can fit a huge amount in an inventory with bags etc and it will give everyone a head start to shorten the time it takes to get back to where u were

:D

I would prefer a fast reset but happy to go with whatever the majority decides

8. Nuljones

Nuljones Active Member

I think this thread is best if you assume we are talking about the real world and we're superheros or gods.
    I would rather a fresh world than a corrupt or bitsy one. And if we're delaying an inevitable refresh by continuing it's a no-brainer.

As much as I like the idea of keeping a pack of my stuff this would require waiting for every player to log on, know they need to do that, and log off again. I think the most feasible and fair thing is just a cold restart. >> Maybe issue jetpacks + torches at spawn though so we can find pads quickly and without accidentally being close to other people.

9. gasman

gasman Retired Captain

Agreed a reset now is better than struggling on with a broken world.

10. Sister Julie

Sister Julie Well-Known Member

Personally I think the people who put all the hard work into getting the server back up should have the last say in the matter but thats just me.

It does, however, sound like its time for a vote or a poll.

11. HenriDeacon

HenriDeacon Retired Captain

If we keep inventories then every player already has stuff in their backpack even if they don't log in over the next day or so. Hopefully most people will get the chance to grab some gear if that's what happens.

12. Emeraldknight

Emeraldknight Active Member

The biggest issues I see are.
    1. You cannot use the custom config for any other direwolf20 servers. So with me and my kids, if they want to play I have to swap configs out. Let them play on their server then swap them back in again for me to play.
    2. The ID's for a fair number of blocks have changed or swapped so if the server gets updated down the track we will have more issues and more time spent tracking down issue for another patch.
    3. Missing a few items from the storage network but we wont know how much till we need it and go looking for it only to find it gone.

So far the missing or currupted blocks found have been replaced I'm just hoping thats the limit of it.

The amount of time and effort that went into Irimar getting the server up and going in such a short time was huge and greatly appreciated. The same for the research that Gedarn was doing to help along with the other admins and players input.

13. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

As for the idea of keeping an inventory full of stuff to bring over to an eventual new map (which I like btw); what would prevent this from giving the same problems we already have; mismatch of item ids? When we open our inventories on the new map all we might see is red sand and apples.

14. Aveege

Aveege Active Member

As much as i like the idea of bringing stuff over im kinda with Daed on this. Irimar has put alot of his time into trying to get the current version working and if we decide to wipe id rather him not have to worry about spending more of his time having to set server up again a third time just because the items we had or our player files were part of the corruption problem and corrupt the fresh new world.

As always though this is my 2cents and will follow whatever happens and thank irimar, scata, and all the others that have helped make Serenity such a great place to play.

15. Rourke

Rourke Elder Scrolls Online Officer

Time spent having fun is not time wasted...

Change is inevitable...

Long term stability trumps short term gains...

Sh*t happens...

A big part of my enjoyment of Minecraft is the early stages, survival and expansion. I'm cool with a full reset. I've certainly learned a bunch about area planning and budgeting for mid-late game expansion. I will miss my "Fully operational Death Sta..." I mean fully upgrade power suit and tool, and my 2 portal guns. But hey, sh*t happens.

16. Brew

Brew Well-Known Member

I'd also agree with a reset, especially if it helps folks who also play on other direwolf servers (or SP) not have to deal with a hacked config file.

I'm holding off on building until this is decided, and if there were a way to keep items in inventory, I'd be all for it (maybe limit to vanilla blocks only? hard to enforce), as I would like to keep the iron, diamonds, glowstone, redstone, ink, etc that I have collected (I'd add in the stack of blaze rods, but I collected those the night of the crash). But if it risks issues, then no.

I think that having a maintainable and stable world is more important to me than the effort I've put in so far.

-Brew

17. fireh

fireh Getting Started

And I was so close to getting my bee farm going again! However, I agree with a restart now rather than later.