Seeds

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Sereth, Mar 16, 2006.

1. Sereth

Sereth Well-Known Member

2. Atrayo

Atrayo New World Leader -= BRONZE =-

Hi Sereth,

Yup, i signed up for their beta a month or so ago. They pushed back their beta by another month for a release of May 2nd. However they are about to enter a new phase of beta for a total of around 2,000 testers. It's made by Runestone game dev's that are based in Denmark.

The game will look sorta cartoonish (not like WoW) but it won't have any combat. It's about a futurist colony that the planet didn't terra form properly. So the DNA cloner is churning out new colonists causing a population problem. The outside environment is toxic and is corriding the semi-converted colony ship's exterior.

It's interesting concept to say the least. Npc's will react to players emotes as a form of new AI programming in giving out quests and other types of trade and such.

3. Sereth

Sereth Well-Known Member

Aye, I signed up for the beta about a month ago now, but haven't heard anything in a while and figured I would ask around and share the news of the game.

4. Janissary

Janissary Well-Known Member

I just discovered this one on MMORPG.com a few days ago and I'm pretty excited about it. Back in my MUDding days I played a PennMUSH called Nebula:2130 that had no working combat system and a mutable environement where the players governed the city. It made for an immersive roleplaying experience that I haven't found in MMOG's due to their static nature, and hoping Seed will bring back some of that.

I'll still be playing CoH/CoV for action and combat, but a game to balance that out with in-character social conflict would be great. Although I need another game like I need a hole in my head, I hope this one works as planned.

5. Atrayo

Hi Guys,

Just to let you know I'm in the Seed beta. They seem to have a limited NDA where one can discuss the game but any photos shared have to stipulated as beta.

I was invited to the beta a month ago but never got the intial email invite. So i bugged the community manager MortenJ and he squared me away.
    The game is suppose to launch on May 2nd, pushed back from a April 7th launch. Still it seems it actually needs another 90 days of beta and not the remaining month or so.

Otherwise the graphics are nice and easy on the eyes in comic book style.

6. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

So..discuss! What are some positives and negatives of your game experience?

Since it has no combat per say, what would spend their time doing?

7. Atrayo

Darn KarmaJay i haven't spoken to you in months and i don't even get a hello from a fellow Floridian, lol. :oops:

Well the movement is still somewhat wonky since the walk backwards key isn't in place yet. The camera doesn't auto-follow very well. Which the right mouse key lets you rotate as needed.

Right now the new seedlings (testers) are doing repairs and some manufacturering from the factory plants. Not all the game features are in yet. The game is restricted to 3 levels of the transformed colony ship. There's npc's but their limited yet in use. But the npc emote conversation feature isn't fully into place yet.

It's only been my 2nd day of testing. There beta application is still up on their website for anyone interested.

The game servers are located in Miami, FL. go figure for a Danish game developer. Lag is minimal for me but it does occur.

8. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Sorry, hola! :)

I've been away due to job stuff so have not had as much time :)

9. Janissary

I just got into beta tonight. Unfortunately, the servers that handle the area where new characters are down until tomorrow. :(

10. Atrayo

Hi Janissary,

Hopefully your able to login to the Seed IRC #Beta channel they have set-up. The instructions for that are in your beta email invite. My toon during the beta is named "Dobbins" (taken from my former TOG EQ2 toon). Lately he's been around the Recspace Garden area.

But i've been somewhat bad and haven't logged in for the last couple days.
    My hours have been crazy and i've logged in during their early CET (central european hours) where the Danish game dev's are located.

11. Janissary

My character is Jandl and I've been hanging around Labspace B-ring. I haven't had much time to play this past week, but have the minimum tools for repairing all damage types.

I dislike IRC and do not have it loaded on my computer, but if things are happening there, I may have to pick it up.

The game clearly is a work in progress, but I think it will be playable by launch.

12. Sereth

Sereth Well-Known Member

I still haven't seen anything to draw me into it... For some reason I see it as a Sims online type of game. I don't mind playing the Sims as a filler for when the net is down, but I don't know about an online world...

Any more updates?

13. Atrayo

Hi Sereth,

They're taking appliciations for their "Open Beta" as of right now. It'll start on Tuesday April 25th ending until shortly before launch.

Here's their Press Release about it.

If after this title goes Gold i would recommend you don't use up your free 14 day trial until the game stabilizes itself. Since they're launching this MMO with only about 60+ days in closed beta or so. This one is going to be a bumpy Gold release due to economic reasons as stated in the latest podcast interview (April 13th) with Seed CEO / Producer at MMORPG.com.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2006
  14. Sereth

Sereth Well-Known Member

Thanks Atrayo!

I put in for a beta account, but I might have to do it again once I get home as my work PC does have some power to it, I don't think my DXdiag will meet specs of their game (but put notes explaining as well).

I've seen lots of games never make it to beta due to $$$, it's really hard for anyone to get MMO's out unless they got the funds from other games that are already out...

Sony has EQ, so EQ2 was really easy to push. Bizzard had Diablo, and a ton of other games that sold really well so pushing for WOW was cake. Just sad that so many cool looking games never hit shelves.

Thanks again for the heads up!

15. Atrayo

Your welcome Sereth, ;)

MMORPG.com put on a preview to Seeds on April 20th as one of their on-going line of features. Link

This paragraph was one of the more authentic pieces of the preview. Specifically mentioning the difficulty with movement. The preview in my opinion was sugar-coated, due to Gold being 2 weeks away. But with many of the Core Features lacking in beta, and covering alot of fluff potentiality of the MMO title.

Not that this MMO title isn't worth it, but it's being given the "bum's rush" out the door when it's clearly not ready for retail. Yes, i know that's the mantra of the MMO game industry. :oops:

16. Janissary

I know what you mean. It's been difficult to talk my friends into trying out the game during open beta next week when, at the moment, there's little more to do than walk around repairing things.

I have high hopes for the sophisticated NPC AI and the political intrigues it will allow, but I'd sure like to see it. This game has become a test for me to see if consistent, immersive roleplaying is really possible in MMO's, so I'm motivated to give Seed a few months to get it's act together.

17. Atrayo

Hi Janissary,

There are a couple extra things besides repairing in the beta at least. There's crafting via the factory hardpoints, one time i created "blood samples". But ended up spending more of my AP (access points, the games currency) and no way did i turn a profit. I just donated it to the sharepoint in the Garden at the Recspace level.

Besides crafting if you pick up the "Administration" skill you can run in the weekly elections at the TAU. (In the Garden, the Easter Island like Statue console) In those elections we're given 7 votes each to elect other players for Admin access to the factory & sharepoint hard access points. Besides some complimentry AP's for them likewise.

Lastly some NPC's already have "Stories" (Quests) linked up to them. To activate an Npc quest type and emote on them "/Whatsup" to get that going. I believe Npc "Masi" in the Locker Room at the Recspace level provides one. Including a couple at the Garden location like Murthy.

Knock yourself out. :)

18. Sereth

Sereth Well-Known Member

I've applied 3 times, I just haven't recieved anything back from them...

19. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

I also applied last week and nada back.

20. Atrayo

Hi Sereth & KarmaJay,

The Seed dev's over at Runestone gave an announcement about a glitch of sending out their Open Beta invites. Link

;)