Section 8: Prejudice

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Ned, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

Last edited: May 5, 2011
    Ulric likes this.
  2. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Game was way too expensive on Steam when it was released so I never got it.

Ulric likes this.
  3. Snott

Snott Well-Known Member

I loved Section 8, fast paced, choose where you spawn(drop) in, team based play but took no commitment to play casually and still have fun. Class customization was enough that you could tailor to your style. I purchased on steam, found out the game was basically dead when I got around to it, then steam had a sale within the next couple of weeks where I could have got it for half the price... fun times...

Having said that, I might just get this on release as long as it doesn't clash with anything else I'm waiting on, as I can't log into BC2 anymore for some reason and I liked the faster pace of Section8. Its like Unreal Tournament but I can actually be good at it lol - cause its not quite THAT fast. :D
    If its like the original, it may not have a long life so I'll jump right in on release. It was the most fun I had in a shooter in along time, I want to make the most of it.

4. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

I tried to love it ... Had it as soon as it released and found next to no community (playing from AUS) maybe it needed more time and is thriving now?

Ulric likes this.
  5. Snott

Snott Well-Known Member

its not, or wasn't when I last checked a few months back.
    Beta it was, but I think it was more of an extra game for alot of people. They really enjoyed it but had enough other stuff that they didnt want to pay for it come release date.
    I think the far nicer graphics in this latest one may sway a few people, the original looked a little dated already when it was released IMO.

Basie likes this.
  6. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Release price was $88 USD on Steam in Australia. For a new IP trying to pull market share from people who play $20 copies of CS:Source, TF2 and other well polished MP games it never really stood a chance.

Don't know what the publisher was thinking.

7. Snott

Snott Well-Known Member

ugh. Couldn't remember why I didn't get it on release, that would have been why. Hopefully they don't make the mistake again, as I probably won't pay that for it.

8. flexx

flexx Active Member

I got the first one on release and loved it but the lack of players was the killer for me. Hopefully this will fair a bit better.

9. Genghoidal

Genghoidal Retired Captain

Section 8 : Prejudice Beta

Hey all, around this time last year they released Section8 and we had heaps of guys playing in the Beta and was all sorts of awesome.

I didn't end up buying the game straight away cause I wanted to see how their launch went and the game price was way too high at first. I was well founded in waiting cause the game producers did not forsee the need to release free server software to game server hosters, instead they actually had to have a licensed copy of the game and basically the game which had stacks of potential went and died a quiet and miserable death. There were no aussie servers at launch and all the hosting mobs do not embrace games that require anything above the bare minimum server requirements (see lead and gold which required Video hardware in the server %$!? - which they have rectified)

I sent the game company my feedback and told them but it was too late. This lesson applies to all games really though. Your launch is where you decide your fate. Can't believe they released this fun, polished game and failed on the server side

Here's the beta announcement of their next edition:
    Section 8: Prejudice beta incoming PC News - Page 1 | Eurogamer.net

I'm keen, cause it's fun and well going to have more than the original game. I ended up buying the original on steam for $20 earlier this year and have been only able to play on American servers with the 300 ping. It's not exactly the same as being right there with your mates on a level playing field...

Quick gist of the game is that you start in a dropship and choose where you want to literally drop out of orbit to. You fly down from the sky and apply your air brakes and land. You then want to secure as many objectives as possible per standard conquest BF style. Additionally throughout the game, side missions are launching for both teams and the map alerts you to where the targets are and how much time you have to complete the task or block the enemy from doing it. Your powered suit is capable of going into an overdrive mode which enables you to run at super speed across the map also (which is just plain awesome btw) and of course you have a jetpack. A good selection of weapons and good production values... oh and if you kill people and complete mission objectives you build up resources to call down from orbit all kinds of support devices, machine gun turrets, ammo and health stations, rocket turrets, mech Walkers and tanks

I'm sure they will build on all that.. but will they screw up the launch again... ?

Actually i may just see if I can get a server for the original game.... yet

Ulric likes this.
  10. theZee

theZee Retired Moderator

Count me in Geng :D - the game was a blast in beta, too bad they went and poo-pooed it on release.

11. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Absolutely no friggen idea about this game.

What are the size of the maps, and how many players does it support per server?

12. theZee

theZee Retired Moderator

About the size of BF2 maps and about the same number of players.

On of the best features I found was the special events trigger, like a general dropping in for the attacking side, or a convoy appearing that that needs to get to another point on the map. If you defend the convoy or the general successfully your team gets bonus points, same goes for the other side if they destroy it.

Another cool thing, as you get more kills and points you get in-game currency, allows you to call in reinforcements for yourself eg. a mech, tank etc

Very very cool :D - clip below starts as you spawn into the map - it's how you enter the fight after each time you die.

It reminded me a lot of Tribes to be honest.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  13. Snott

Snott Well-Known Member

sounds the same as the original, I really wished it caught on but never seemed to even after a really successful beta.

I really really really REALLY enjoyed it though :)
    I would be keen for some games if a local-ish server was set up :)

edit: that clip is of the old one.
    ooh I see.
    16 vs 16 from memory? or anything up to that, can be limited by server and/or made up with bots to balance, or partially balance.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  14. theZee

theZee Retired Moderator

Yeah, juts trying to give Purg an idea of the game.

Snott likes this.
  15. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

That does look awesome, I'd be keen on that.

16. Snott

Snott Well-Known Member

Games like this tend to have a short lifespan I have noticed, probably as each new title is released everyone moves onto that - and with a new/less known IP you get less people hanging on as the next best thing comes out.
    I logged into Section8 last night and had a few games, came second (3 on each side, rest bots) with 400 ping, so not bad I reckon. A lot depends on fitting out the right loadout/kit to suit your playstyle then making sure you play to those strengths. I still enjoyed it, can't wait for the new one.

17. Snott

Snott Well-Known Member

Sounds like this one may ultimately end up being more succesful, with Timegate looking to self-publish and have more control.

Source - requires free signup

18. Getafix

Getafix Retired Captain

Interesting. I never played the first, but I'll be keeping an eye on this one, it looks quite good.

19. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

Looking good..

$15 and a May release.

20. Genghoidal

Genghoidal Retired Captain

You know what... now I am finally excited.. This is brilliant. And they have learned their lessons from their failure of round one.

Cheap price, top game, win.

I'm going to get all my mates to get it, and we will have stacks of fun because we finally all own the same awesome team based game.

Only possible downfall is if they screw up the local servers and force ISPs and hosts to own a copy of the game again.