Rift going F2P

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by xenoph, May 15, 2013.

1. misterbear

misterbear Well-Known Member

That's what I thought too, so I snapped up one of the $9 copies from my local EB on the weekend. Some of the extra SL souls look pretty interesting so $9 was a bit of a no-brainer for me, even if I don't end up playing too much.

2. Reven

Reven Active Member

Just found out as I registered my SL key that because I am an owner of the original Rift I had to pay $14.99USD for a months sub, only new players get a months play time included with the SL key.

I played today and enjoyed levelling a new toon in the old starter areas, something seems different about the game in a good way. :)

3. quickthorn

quickthorn Active Member

I started a new one Guardian side the other day, and I'm pretty sure they streamlined a few of the quests with less back and forth. Also graphics seemed slightly better than I remembered - last time I really played it much was before SWTOR was launched.

4. Bluesteel

Bluesteel Star Citizen: Southern Seraphs Officer

Ive never played Rift. Im downloading it now to give the lite version a try.

5. Reven

Reven Active Member

It's definitely worth a look, they have quite a few unique ideas, public grouping for adventure quests and nearby rifts is awesome.

6. Karguo

Karguo Retired Captain

I've also been playing a new character on the labelled Oceanic server... it's definitely more streamlined than I remembered and quite a few other players also running around doing low level rifts and the new adventures as well. So, been quite fun.

7. jillaroo81

jillaroo81 Active Member

I resubbed to RIFT when SL launched and I still hop ingame when I have the time. It's a solid game if you like the traditional type of mechanics, and the new souls are very worth it. I might even make a new toon on the OC server to wander around with my own timezone. My main is on Wolfsbane, which is a US server (that's where we rolled when Rift first launched).

8. Malcoholic

Malcoholic Active Member

Oceania player here too! Played for a month at the end of 2011 then got distracted.. saw the f2p and decided to give it another guy.

What people have been saying about Raptr is right, easy enough as a new player to just load it up, run it in the background (don't even need to play) for ~ 13 hours, and score a free copy of Rift + Storm Legion Expansion + 30 days subscription for new players.
    I just got my free expansion, but no free subscription time since I'm an existing account. Considering spending $15 just to keep playing it til June 12 now I've got it loaded again heh.

The advantage of getting your free copy before it goes F2P is the extra souls (think skill trees) that you will then have to pay for, as well as extra character and bag slots that will be reduced for F2P and need to be purchased. Highly recommend giving it a go!

9. Malcoholic

Malcoholic Active Member

Accidentally posted in the lonely 'Rift archive' section before, missed this thread. I'll add the Oceania players that have listed here. Is there still a TOG guild in existence on Oceania?

Can add me, I'm Guardian on Laethys: Godsock

By the way, for anyone new wanting to give it a go and score their free copy through Raptr before it goes F2P, you can trial it through the Ascend-a-Friend program which gives you and the player who refers you a few bonuses.. including teleporting to each other and a +xp boost for low levels. Here's my link if anyone wanted to trial through it:
    https://rift.trionworlds.com/accoun...&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=ascend_invite

Last edited: May 25, 2013
  10. morroIan

morroIan Active Member

I'm downloading this now, are all TOG players playing the Guardian faction?

11. Kass

Kass Guardian Captain

Faction isn't an issue when it comes to channel chat and guilds any more I believe. I know I am certainly seeing the same [silly] people in 1-29 chat no matter which side I am playing on!

12. Reven

Reven Active Member

I'm Guardian on Laethys, Kass is right you can join any guild no matter which faction but even on a PVE server you can pvp flag yourself by attacking rival faction players or NPC's.

Not sure how they handle cross faction partying though.

13. jillaroo81

jillaroo81 Active Member

Cross faction grouping is the same grouping as any other group now, least on the pve servers. Dunno about the pvp servers as I don't roll on them. Dungeon que's pull from both factions as well, so faster pop times.

14. Malcoholic

Malcoholic Active Member

You can have cross-faction parties for non-instanced events in the PVE world too, for example zone invasions or instant adventures. Just be careful not to accidentally target the yellow neutral player in party from the opposing faction by accident. That gets you flagged for PvP, booted out of cross-faction parties, and generally killed pretty quickly. Flag doesn't reset for 5 minutes.

Trust me. I do it pretty much every zone event in enemy faction territory :(

What are some character names here? I'm committed to another guild now but would still like to play with other TOG players.
    I'm Godsock on Laethys.

15. Kass

Kass Guardian Captain

If you jump into the MMO Tavern there are a few threads floating around about Rift in there :)

16. necrond

necrond Active Member

I decided to have a look at Rift now it is f2p. Played in beta but decided I couldn't afford it and never bought the game when it went live. However, the toons I had during beta joined the TOG guild on Blightweald and when i logged in for the first time recently I discovered I was the guild master :)

There were still one or two people who had been online within the last week or two but mostly the guild was full of high level toons that hadn't been active for up to 2 years.

It's a level 11 guild which means a few perks including a vault ... so I am hanging onto it for the time being. I will be around for at least 3 months - maybe longer if I enjoy it.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  17. SnorriHT

SnorriHT Active Member

I am returning to Rift as well and so far I am enjoying it. I will look you up necrond for an invite when I've sorted out which characters I want to play on Laethys.

On a side note, I also re-opened my SWTOR account now it is F2P and the experience was like chalk and cheese.

Rift - 10Gb download, wait until 3GB and then start playing. So quick and easy. Time from install to play - 2 hours.

SWTOR. Wait 8 hours for download and install. Sh*ts itself while installing with no error code. Go online to find a fix; Fix it and re-install (thank god not re-download). Log on, but requires verification code sent to my e-mail. Verification code arrives at my e-mail address *2 hours* later and has expired...

In short, I'll be playing Rift :)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  18. necrond

necrond Active Member

Hi Snorri

Just to let you know ... there is only me playing in the Telaran Old Guard .. I am only keeping it going because its a shame to waste level 11 perks and a guild bank.

I am rolling up other toons and joining the official TOG guild which is over on the Gelidra (?) server. Think they are The Old Grudge.. look out for Rourke. I'm still waiting for my purchase of Rift vanilla to arrive before I get stuck in but if you decide to create a character on Gelidra and can't find TOG then give me a whisper ... Gordo

Here's Rourke on these forums ... http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/mmo-tavern/501290-rift-eu-tuesday-night-dungeon-night.html

Last edited: Jul 10, 2013
  19. Rourke

Rourke Elder Scrolls Online Officer

Hi, ill keep an eye out for the pair of you should you both decide to join us on Gelidra. You can get a guild invite via the guild finder, and the invite will appear in the post soon as I can get online and click accept. Im usually on from 6pm til late every night.

Hope to catch you online soon.

[Edit] Just noticed Snorri is an Aussie, so I'm guessing you'll be heading to Laethys.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2013
  20. necrond

necrond Active Member

Finally got my software through the post. Now have 6 alts on Gelidra. I'll try and catch up with you Rourke.

Deathtouch - Destra - Shadders - Snypes to name but a few.