Red Dead Redemption Tips, Tricks and Fun Things To Do

Discussion in 'Games Talk' started by Arep, May 19, 2010.

1. Arep

Arep Correspondent<br>Retired Advisor

After playing for the better part of a day, I have learned the following:

• Water is poison to everyone
    • Horses DO NOT stop on a dime, especially near cliffs
    • Cougars are the ninjas of the Old West
    • Apparently, it is acceptable behavior to push/kick people in the water to their doom
    • People don't seem to mind if you hog tie their neighbors and ride off into the sunset with them
    • People don't seem to mind if, instead of riding off into the sunset with their neighbors, you drop them into the water
    • Sometimes while doing that you accidentally get stuck on the body and fall in instead of your victim
    • Tear up your PETA membership card. Kill and skin every animal you see to sell for cash...that includes horses.
    • The horseshoes minigame is HARD but there is an achievement/trophy for getting ringer
    • Texas Hold 'em is in the game but Texas isn't. (its called New Austin instead....I guess New Austin Hold 'em didn't have the same ring?)

2. mindspat

mindspat Well-Known Member

That is sig worthy! :D

3. morbius

morbius Active Member

Yeah that horse shoes game is bloody hard.
    And you're spot on with the cougars comment, they ambush you everywhere until you need them for the hunting challenge and then you can't find them.
    Hey Arep how did you go trying out the 5 finger game with the dagger, buggered if I can do any good on it.

4. Arep

Arep Correspondent<br>Retired Advisor

I got a few rounds in on the Five Fingered Fillet. Took me a round to figure it out after stabbing my hand repeatedly. Does anyone know if there ss there an end to these minigames where we get some bonus for completing them or are they just for fun/money?

Oh, another bit of advice....riding through the wilderness, if you should come upon someone running away from some people, don't make any rash decisions. Took me a few -100 honor penalties to figure out that its usually the cops chasing someone down instead of someone who needs to be saved. Unless you are into that kind of thing, that is...

5. morbius

morbius Active Member

Think only the horse shoe, liars dice and poker mini games grant achievements, the rest are mainly for cash. Not that I've had a shortage of cash in game and I'm up to the mexican area.

One good bit of advice is loot every corpse, I've found new weapons on the bodies.

6. ozivillan

ozivillan Well-Known Member

come on guys show a bit of compassion. us toggers here in aus have to wait until friday before we get to saddle up and ride off in to the sunset :bigcry:

7. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

What Oz said!

8. Speedy

Speedy Well-Known Member

And watch out for an old codger calling you over to a campfire for a chat - he's probably a cannibal.

9. maggot_bag

maggot_bag Getting Started

getting this game soon

10. morbius

morbius Active Member

Also sign up online for the Rockstar siocial club. It gives you the suit outfit in game which unlocks a high stakes poker game in Blackwater.

11. click

click Well-Known Member

Here is my tip - If you run in MP you can be seen on every ones radar, try walking to stay hidden.;)

Also you get 5 cheats to use in sp. It is really worth signing up and visiting the website

12. Scratches

Scratches Active Member

Cheers for the tip. :) I already have the Elegant Suit that allows you to cheat in poker, but my advise is don't. :D The game has a nasty habit of showing you instructions but not pausing the action, so by he time you read them, the game has moved on and you fail at the task. Took me five goes to even figure out Duels for example.

Speaking of which, anyone have any tips on duels? Because I truly suck. :w

13. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

Really? I'm very disappointed with the dueling as I've found it way too easy.

All you have to do is wait until it says draw, then either press L2 or flick the right stick down and up to pull your gun. Then just aim with the right stick and press R2 at any body parts you want to shoot to target them.

There's 2 bars on the right, the blue one is how much damage your shots will do, red is how much there's will do but assuming you drew first they probably won't be able to get a shot off anyway.

14. morbius

morbius Active Member

Yeah I haven't had an issue with duels, like Chief I'm a bit disappointed with them.

Here's a link with some good info if you get stuck on some of the challenges. Shows animal locations and a walkthrough which I don't think is needed.

Red Dead Redemption - PS3 XB360/Walkthrough - WikiCheats

Mainly wanted this site so I could check if I needed Buffaloes for any of the challenges before I exterminated them all.

15. ozivillan

ozivillan Well-Known Member

Not sure if it using the same method as in Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood. they were easy at the begining of the game, but got really hard to beat later in the game

16. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

Only done two duels so not had any problems, Try shooting the guys hand/gun and you will get extra honor at least i think it is :)

17. mindspat

mindspat Well-Known Member

If the duels are too easy try shooting the hats off first with the second shot being a disarm.

Tip for horsehoes: Aim with the left trigger, line up the post in between the horse shoe so it's roughly spaced like this (..|.....). With the right stick, bring it back and press forward, right trigger when the meter gets to the first notch. If the energy is in the center after it's released you'll eventualy get a ringer if you've lined it up good enough. :)

Last edited: May 26, 2010
  18. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

Any tips or stories of people managing to win a poker in Armadillo would boost my confidence been trying this for last 2 days to no avail

19. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

I just wear the elegant suit and cheat

20. Scratches

Scratches Active Member

I did try that, but unfortunatly...

Which meant as soon as I read the instructions, I was already standing outside ready to fight a duel. And, as I stated before...

Then I got shotted to death. :D