Quick Guide to building in Hunger City

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by HenriDeacon, Jun 21, 2012.

1. HenriDeacon

HenriDeacon Retired Captain

An area of ocean just off Hunger Island has been reserved for our latest creation. This week we have constructed the base for our new Hunger Games themed City.

As this is an area for community events we need to be fairly strict with the rules.

Do not mine Hunger Island for resources or build anything on it.

The City is for Hunger Games. Build with that in mind.

All Hunger Island rules apply to Hunger City. The rules are posted at the Cornucopia.

What is a Cornucopia ? Watch a Hunger Games video.

Most blocks are 32x32, but buildings no larger than 24x24 with 3 blocks around the outside being roadway.

If you reserve a block, use it or lose it.

The outer perimeter (3 deep) of all city blocks should be half slab cobble unless we have another need. This makes most streets 6 wide, with a section of the main road 8 wide.

No blocks should be damaged during Hunger Games events, but may be occasional creeper damage.

Constructions should be urban / industrial / steampunk / modern.

There are a few larger blocks up to 48x48, and also leave the outer 3 blocks for half slab roadway.

Please watch one of the Minecraft Hunger games videos before deciding if you wish to build in the City. The Celebrity Hunger Games II features a similar concept.

The main purpose of building the city is to host PvP events, but standard frontier rules apply at other times. No TNT.

All buildings are community property and may be altered as required.

Any resources you use on Hunger City become community property.

If you do not agree that buildings in Hunger City will be community property, do not build there.

Do not place your permanent bed or permanent chests in Hunger City.

Players will be asked to read this post before starting construction.

The main thing is have fun :) The Admins and Architects are here to assist.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2012
  2. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

So I gather key aspects are that

• you want a couple of ways to get up to each level in a building, but they needn't be obvious
    • dark places are good intermixed with light places
    • not everything needs to be "intact", as in look like a completed building
    Can people work on streetscapes? e.g. streetlamps, bridges, trees, seats. Some of these may impact the size of some city blocks.

Sorontar

3. HenriDeacon

Yes players are encouraged to go wild and not restricted to just one block, take 2 or 3 in different areas of town. There are over 50 blocks available and room for expansion. Have some completely open. parks, swing sets, hedges, cars, theatres, Hungry Jacks, whatever you like.

Absolutely the more content we put into streets the better as they will be prominent in the game videos and will showcase our TOG talents.

Build up, down, under water, subways, monorails....

Areas you put a lot of effort into, light them up to keep those creepers away.... BOOM

I'll be working down the cheaper end of town :)

4. Rhof

Rhof Active Member

Hmm. Perhaps a small gerbil pawn shop.

5. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

you seem to have an unhealthy obsession with gerbils :p

6. Rhof

Rhof Active Member

Perhaps. But better than having an unhealthy obsession with unhealthy gerbils I suppose.

7. Deweyoxberg

Deweyoxberg Well-Known Member

Akira and I had the pleasure of seeing what's built to date in HG-City.

All I can say is....

OMFGICANTWAIT.

8. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

I'm not up to date with all posts in this forum; is there a map or something that illustrates where this city is?

9. Rhof

Rhof Active Member

Yes, there appears to be one here.

It has the annotation:
    "Last edited by Sorontar; 6th May 2012 at 02:42 AM. Reason: new image",
    so I'm guessing the location is accurate.

10. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

It is right next to the Hunger Games island. It will be visible on the map tomorrow.
    See the sticky http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum...our-worlds-servers-maps-claims-downloads.html
    As pointed out in the thread that Rhof pointed to, the logos of framed paintings that are visible by default on the maps pinpoint some major community landmarks. Clicking on the logo will give you an image with the title of the area below the image (you'll have to scroll down). Hopefully I added one for the city in time.

Sorontar

Last edited: Jun 24, 2012
  11. Rhof

Rhof Active Member

I'm told that if you follow the Nether signs from the Spawn Portal to T0UR0KS ESTATE along the Melon-colored Path, then you'll necessarily pass by the new well-labeled Nether Portal that is close to Hunger Island for tomorrow's game. Guess I have some more map additions to make.

12. Espesh

Espesh Architect

Just thought I'd bump this and remind everyone that theres still some room left to build in the city but it's going up fast, also not long now until we start running games through it.

Wanted to ask admin and henri and everyone else what their thoughts on mobs in the city are?
    Had couple discussions with different people lately and the consensus is were hoping it's going to be as dangerous if not more-so than the island games.. I also understand alot of people have put alot of time and effort into their builds and would be hesitent to let creepers creep them. We do have the roll-back option to reset builds that get too destroyed. But I dont know much about that or how hard/easy it is..

If we do go the route of mobs and many, we were thinking of asking some redstone savvy players to try rig some dispensers on a clock, so admin can fill with eggs, flick the switch and it'll pump out mobs until switched off or reset.

There was also talk of perhaps having a zombie invasion one night too, maybe dawn of the dead style defend the mall games and ones like it..

Anyway, the city isnt finished yet so thats priority but it does give us almost endless possibilities with regards to "urban" scenarios and all of them don't have to be PvP if we get mobs involved.. I would love to clear the city of zombies with the whole server, a citizens of Frontier vs. the undead adventure.

If you havn't picked a plot and started building and you're interested, take a trip, find a site and get building. Basic mats supplied and plenty of space still.

See you in the city :)

13. Sorontar

Sorontar Retired Captain

I wouldn't presume anything about the Bukkit mods we use. Admin tools are a hidden tool and for obvious reasons, we can't tell you their capabilities. They are not for regular usage by Admin team because of creepers.

An easy option is always to set a time to "freeze" developement on Frontier, save the world, run an event, reinstate the world and continue as normal. Players' inventories can also be wiped before events and then reinstated afterwards.

As to spawners using dispensers, that too can be filled up by the Admin team during an event, then emptied (or the world reinstated). The mobs will only last as long as they normally spawn for, ie. half a day or so.

The city is looking great, and yes, there is plenty of space left to build on. I have just started extending my template factory onto a second block via an aerial walkway (which I might later rise). Perhaps someone wants to build that half.

Sorontar

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  14. Espesh

Espesh Architect

The freeze and things were what I meant, as is obvious I have no idea how any of that stuff works behind the scenes or what it actually takes to run the show, was more floating the idea that we introduce mobs into the area, how we would approach that within the rules and guidelines I always leave to the powers that be for obvious reasons..

I like your for dispensers and I'm really not that fussed about damage to any of my buildings, most look like that anyway and progressive damage could add an element of strategy and easthetics.

The dispensers would be the easiest to police and set up, like you said the eggs could be removed and replaced when admin are around for events.

I'll wait to see what others say but I'll ask some redstone experts if I see them how easy it would be to set up and conceal the contraptions in the meantime..

15. TAZZROK

TAZZROK Getting Started

as the local "Scotty Cam" it all depends on what you wont them to do exactly ?

16. HenriDeacon

Being on the open ocean, we can expand outwards more or less randomly as needed.

The key to maintaining the city is taking craploads of photos to make repairs easier.

Creeper damage is usually fairly easy to fix unless they score a direct hit on an electrical circuit.

Leading a creeper into water significantly reduces damage too.

Luckily arrow dispensers don't damage buildings.

17. Espesh

Espesh Architect

Thanks scotty :p heres what I'm thinkin' so far...

Thanks to a talk to aveege, the randomness of the timing can be solved by something as simple as a penned in animal randomly triggering the pressure plate and setting off the dispenser. A few could be hooked onto the same plate and placed in different spots to make it even more random. We could play with the spawn rate/fire rate by possibly adding more animals to get a slower/steadier or faster flow..

These pens and simple circuits could be hidden under some or all buildings and the dispensers set at ground level facing inside and out, being at street level they could easily be filled.

Since there is nothing under most of the buildings we could build a box/room and fit it however we need to to sort the circuit and animals out..

Thats the "easiest" way I can think of and the animal idea wasnt mine, any and all help and ideas welcome.

18. Bazz

Bazz Retired Captain

You know me - I'm all for a zombie fest mate!
    The saving and restoring of the world seems a great solution as well - just let it be known that anything done in the next couple of hours wont be saved, and it would all be fair.

Animals arent a bad idea - but wouldnt you just end up getting on edge every time you saw a sheep in a pen?

Either way, love the idea of the island being much more dangerous - and I agree, constant damage will add to its appeal!
    (and of course if we use dispensors and keep it well lit, we donthave to have creepers at all)

19. Espesh

Espesh Architect

Ok there are now 2 buildings at either end of the city with these setups underneath, out of sight. The dispensers are located on the outer wall of the buildings facing the street and can be filled from inside each building easily.

All credit to Aveege for the use of animals and Tourok for basically re-doing my wiring to standards appropriate.

Trying to camouflage them has been abit of a problem, leaf blocks and vines sometimes block the mob and they suffocate, other times the mobs get stuck but seem to push each other out after awhile. I've tested as much as I can on creative, next step is filling them with eggs and seeing what happens in the survival world..

If we don't go the route of the mob eggs these can also be filled with arrows or even food items or something to pump them out at random intervals.