PS3: PSN update: Sony says private info may have been stolen!

Discussion in 'Console Talk (Public)' started by King_Rocket, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

Press Release: Some PlayStation Network and Qriocity Services to be Available This Week
    + Posted by Patrick Seybold // Sr. Director, Corporate Communications & Social Media

2. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

Ahh fair enough, i guess until they annouce officially exactly what they are giving away we wont really know for sure.

3. Ancient_One

Can no one read my posts. It is official.

4. Melmoth

Melmoth Retired Captain

I've received over 70 spam messages to my PSN-registered email address in the past 48 hours - a number many times higher than what I usually get to this address. Maybe I'm being silly here, but I can't help thinking these two things are related...

5. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

Did anyone hear something? :confused: ;)

Thanks for clearing that up A1. :)

6. Pure Mongrel

7. Biskt

Biskt Active Member

Regardless... When is it coming back online in Aus?

8. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

So if everyone is getting 30 free days on the PSN+ i assume that will start from the day the PSN store goes up otherwise its a bit pointless

9. Ancient_One

Can you imagine the flood of people scampering to download free stuff. Could bring it down again based on volume. I for one am not truly interested. Just want to sync my trophies.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but the content downloaded through the plus service ceases to work if you no longer subscribe to the plus service. ie. you don't get to keep it after you stop paying for it.

Last edited: May 4, 2011
  10. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

Ouch if thats true Ancient One, if they stop you using the stuff if your not subscibed to the plus service its no wonder people are so unhappy. Even if you are allowed to keep it im wondering if its not just a sales ploy anyway. I mean maybe sony are hoping that for everyone (like myself) who hasnt used the plus service get to like it they might sign up so in the long run they are making their money back and alot more besides if people stay connected to it.

Since all this has been going on ive noticed alot more PS3 adverts on TV as well and Playstation sponsering a number of programs, i wonder if its all related.

11. Ancient_One

I know this week has not ended but hey I was hoping they would have kick started the PSN network by now. More delays I guess.

Oh....and I still have not received an email from Sony as yet.

I have seen an unusual email from some one who appeared to be tested the account as it had three letters in the body of the text and nothing else.

12. Pure Mongrel

Going to be another couple of days yet acording to the latest notices on the PSN forums.

13. Binary-Ninja

Binary-Ninja Well-Known Member

Okay i just posted this in lounge but ill re-do it here as 3rd attack might happen and delayed PSN network info and they think anonymous are the ones behind it all

Despite previously announced plans to restore at least some features on Sony's Playstation Network this week, the company has now admitted that it will take longer than originally planned to get the online game service back up and running. In the latest restoration update on the Sony Playstation blog site, Sony Playstation's head PR rep Patrick Seybold said, "We were unaware of the extent of the attack on Sony Online Entertainment servers, and we are taking this opportunity to conduct further testing of the incredibly complex system."

Service Restoration Update – PlayStation Blog

Seybold refers to the shutdown on Monday of Sony Online's MMO servers after the network was discovered to have been affected by the same cyber attack that also caused Sony to shut down the Playstation Network back on April 20. The attack exposed the personal info of tens of millions of subscribers to whomever hacked into the servers along with a small amount of older credit card numbers.

In the new update Seybold writes that the company is "still working to confirm the security of the network infrastructure, as well as working with a variety of outside entities to confirm with them of the security of the system." More testing and system checks are needed before Sony feels the Playstation Network can come back online, according to Seybold. He added, " ... our utmost priorities are the security of the network and ensuring your data is safe. We won’t restore the services until we can test the system’s strength in these respects." No new date was given for the restoration of the online servers.

But to top it off a Third Attack on Sony is planned for this weekend ..

Third attack against Sony planned

Sony has quite a bit of work on their hands trying to restore the PlayStation Network by the end of this week and dealing with a possible breach of customers' credit card details thanks to a string of attacks from an unknown group of hackers. While they're dealing with service restoration and a $1 billion lawsuit, they've got another problem on their hands - the same hackers that broke into the PlayStation Network and led to the two week-long shutdown of PSN, Qriocity, and Sony Online Entertainment servers are back for more attacks.

According to a CNET source, hackers in an IRC channel are planning this retaliation in what they see as Sony's poor response to patching up their servers. Their plans won't win them any support from affected customers, unfortunately - they're planning to make public any information they can copy from the servers. That includes names of customers, addresses, and even credit card numbers. The hackers claim they currently have access to a few of Sony's servers, despite Sony's work around the clock to plug up any security breaches.

It is not clear who is behind this most recent plan. Sony has pointed a finger at Anonymous earlier this week, although the decentralized group's "leadership" continues to maintain that they are not interested in engaging in credit card theft.

Anonymous seems to be behind it Sony think and they might have the proof

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/d0a21040-7...#axzz1LbPlBm3p

If the threats continue to hold water, the attacks may happen this weekend.

14. Pure Mongrel

So are we at the point where we feel sorry for SONY or angry at SONY?

I have been very good not mentioning it ... but seriously guys ... isn't it about time you traded those PS3's in on an XBOX? :confused:

I'm annoyed at the outage and I barley used my PS3 for gaming. You guys that game online with the PS3 only must be ready to go postal by now?

15. Binary-Ninja

Binary-Ninja Well-Known Member

get a pc :)

16. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

Im not going to feel sorry for sony, not after learning about them having no firewall on PSN especially since their employees even warned them about it along time in advance.

I know what your saying about the XBOX 360 but theres a number of things that tick me off about microsoft to hehe so until the next xbox is released with blu-ray and 1080p capabilities im going to stick with my PS3, however saying that when i first was looking at buying a console (i game mostly on my PC) i was looking into games, at first FF13 was a PS3 exclusive which was one of the reasons i bought a PS3, then they brought it out for the xbox to, the other was Heavy Rain.

Thankfully i only buy games on it that i cant get on my PC and i dont use the PS3 for online gaming, although i have used it to buy stuff from the PSN store. I certainly wont buy two next generation consoles for what use they will get so i had to choose one and the blu-ray was the deal swinger for me.

"Rant begin" The thing that really gets under my skin about microsoft and the Xbox 360 is the stupid money microsoft throws at software companies with regards to "Exclusive" xbox DLC. It makes me really angry, i know some get released on other formats eventually like GTA 4, but if i was a software company making a DLC for a game, especially one as big as Tomb Raider for example theres no way i would make it exclusive to microsoft no matter how much money they paid me. Im not going to buy a console for a DLC to a game microsoft do you hear me? "Rant off"

I appologise for that but the "lets throw and open check book at a software company" attitude just doesnt sit very well for me. That also goes for console exclusive games as well (i know Heavy Rain is one) but a game that good should be shared by anyone who has a PC or one of the consoles, years ago this sort of crap never happened.

17. Ancient_One

I don't feel sorry for Sony, I feel sorry for the users who only use the console for online gaming and have not been able to do so for 2 weeks so far.

Sony unfortunately dropped the ball on this one and should have known better. Did they think no one would attempt to hack their system. Yes all the attention was on PC and Microsoft but I guess once you start making a name for yourself it paints a target on your head.

When they started removing content from the PS3 it didn't sit well with people. Then they tried to stop a third party software from being used on the system enabling features which they thought were locked. Then targeted individuals who might have had a hand in said software. End result. Target!

The fact that their security was not up to scratch does not sit well for them and everyone else.
    Lets just hope they sort this out and sooner more then later.

As far as swapping to 360............."Are you out of your fricking mind."

18. Cindax

Cindax World of Warcraft Officer

Not an ounce of sympathy from me, in fact I blame sony itself for encouraging the hack.

They spend huge amounts of time and energy pursuing people like Geohot for modifying his own ps3 while ignoring the advise of their own engineers when it comes to things like securing the network containing millions of customers personal and credit details.

Get your own house in order sony and spend lest time chasing phantom insults!

19. Pure Mongrel

Yeah your right A1, I don't know what I was thinking? :w

Send me a PM when the PSN is back up. I will be playing Black Ops online, getting my gamer points and chatting on XBL till then ... like I have been able to since the XBOX launched. ;)

(I'm just joking around A1 ... A1? ... A1? ... but that hammer down dude! :eek: :D)

20. Spunkmeyer

Spunkmeyer Getting Started

I am exceedingly indifferent about Sony at this point.

(Sorry about the incoherency of this post, my brain is fried from school ATM)

Is it unfortunate that Sony was breached in a major way? Yes. Did they possibly bring it upon themselves? Yes. Should Sony have told us earlier about the potential theft of personal information? There is no excuse for this behavior. Should they have protected our information in a more secure way? Certainly. Was what Anonymous did ethically acceptable? Depends upon what they actually did (not necessarily what Sony says they did) and whether an entire group is responsible for the actions of all of its members.

"When Sony Online Entertainment discovered this past Sunday afternoon that data from its servers had been stolen, it also discovered that the intruders had planted a file named 'Anonymous' on one of those servers, a file containing the statement with the words 'We are Legion,' Hirai said in his written answers to the committee, which held a hearing in Washington, D.C., today on "The Threat of Data Theft to American Consumers."
    A Sony representative said that those were the only words found among the evidence that reference the hacker group.

Read more: http://news.cnet.com/8301-27080_3-20059737-245.html#ixzz1LgQbvka2

Are all TOG members responsible for the actions of every other TOG member? Should all <insert nationality here> be judged by the actions of their leaders?

IMO, Sony and Anonymous are both responsible for this fiasco. Does determining who is at fault really fix anything? Why does placing blame make us feel so much better about crappy things in our lives? I know that placing the blame in this situation is paramount to the organizations involved. Sony stands to lose large amounts of revenue from the loss of consumer and investor confidence. Anonymous faces persecution and possible prosecution (should they be able to determine the “responsible” parties). But the question remains, how does getting the DOJ involved help get PSN back online?

Sony should have also learned from the music industry, where suing YOUR CONSUMERS didn't work out so well. If I remember correctly, Sony was one of the companies who got in trouble for price fixing a few years back. Taking people to court for getting their music in a new way (that many would have gladly paid for, had it been legally available) is a sure-fire way to win the love and respect of your customer base. Same goes for suing people who want to take their game machines apart.

What? Play games on my Netflix player?... That’s crazy talk. :w

I totally agree with Xavien about the exclusive DLC too. I also feel the need to add that "Day one DLC" is utter BullSH... if you have DLC ready from the start, it should have been included in the game. While I very much like the IDEA of DLC for extending gameplay and adding content, it just seems some corporate accountant got a new revenue stream with which they can exploit their loyal fans.

I'm now going to go play my PS3 offline, and that doesn't bother me at all (when I'm playing Fallout ;) )

Last edited: May 9, 2011