PS3: PSN update: Sony says private info may have been stolen!

Discussion in 'Console Talk (Public)' started by King_Rocket, Apr 27, 2011.

1. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

Couldnt agree with you more Ludy some great points youve made there. Also agree with you urgal1. I believe that its a personal attack against sony and not against its users. They may have got our details but maybe its that threat to make it more difficult for sony that matters to them more.

Of course im not taking that chance :) hence the cancelation and changing of all my passwords over the net. However what better way to get at sony by bringing their online network to its knees and stealing everyones details. I finally received an email from sony stating the current situation today but everything is geared towards making sonys life very very uncomforable at the moment.

Alot of people are going to be going down your route Ancient One as well, for me im not giving them my CC details anymore, if theres dlc i want from the psn store i will either go without or pay another way, yes this is what the hackers want but if they want people to not trust sony anymore i would say they have their wish.

2. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

While I agree with your sentiment mate there are a couple of things I disagree with.

From what I have read Anonymous, while having run ins with SONY recently have denied any involvement in this hack. This of course may be a lie, but groups like this tend to gloat about attacks like this, especially one that may be the biggest security breach in Internet history.

While I am sure you in no way meant it as an insult, calling people silly for attaching their credit card to their PSN account won't make those that have feel any better at the moment, but I for one don't think doing so (even with hindsight) was silly. (Please don't take my comments as a rebuke on you, your point of view is valid and I am sure many people feel the same way).

As someone who does a lot of transactions on the Net, I am well aware of the risks and possible implications. It is the main reason I use a card with the smallest limit possible, but I still gave them my details believing that they would be safe.

Those with little experience with transactions on the Internet, new comers to gaming, or parents of gamers that set up the accounts for their children would have seen giving their details to SONY as a standard procedure. People give these details to many companies in everyday transactions.

Being that SONY is a household name as a major company, it is fair to assume that the info given would be safe.

Add to this that many non gamers would not be aware necessarily of the existence of PSN Network credit that can be purchased from retailers, or that the gamer may live in an area where a games retailer may not be close by and you can begin to see many valid reasons why giving this info is not as silly as it may seem.

I would even argue that the way the PSN online accounts are presented at sign up stage are "geared" to make the customer believe that handing over credit card details is standard practice. (Obviously it is in SONY's best interest to have customers be able to make impulse buys straight away without any hassle or need to leave the house.)

My comments here are not an attack on your comment (I want to stress that again :D), but served as a great starting point for discussion about why SONY may be in a world of poo regarding possible fall out and litigation, especially if it is uncovered that they did not take the required steps to keep the data safe that their customers had a valid reason for believing that they would.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  3. Rob.

Rob. Retired Captain

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  4. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

Sadly Anonymous has said they were not involved in this hacking incident.

They did attack Sony a few weeks ago to try and bring down the network but were not the people involved or person invoved in the Identity theft.

Email Notification

I still have not received notification that my account was hacked at Sony. IF it wasn;t for the PSN Forums, social forums and media reports out their I would not have any idea this has occured.

5. Pure Mongrel

I got mine yesterday:

6. Blueink

Blueink Well-Known Member

Definitely has gotten a healthy discussion going if nothing else!. Not sure if I will change my CC ways but it has made me think about its use a bit more that is for sure.

7. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

yeah I got my e-mail yesterday.. I had to laugh at the

Clearly not seriously enough....

8. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

Yeap thats the one i got as well, it was an interesting read. Whatever happens with this situation its going to hurt sony even if in a very small way. I didnt enjoy having to setup all my accounts with new details and ive made the decision that im not spending money on the psn store anymore (not that i spent thousands anyway).

9. Pure Mongrel

I read an article today in the Australian regarding the possible fall out of all this for SONY.

What caught my attention was the reasoning (implied) for why SONY setup the PSN the way they did.

Essentially it was eluded that the Credit Card system was set up this way to make purchasing very easy for the consumer to impulse buy, as this was "the" strategy for competing against the juggernauts of iTunes and the successful XBL.

SONY see their future based in online transactions (music, games, video, etc) as the saturated hardware market (this includes all electronics) has little to no profit in it. (Gives motive to why SONY have fought so hard against modding. Hardware sales only will send them broke, it is the content that makes them profit and if users are playing home brew or pirated games, movies and music than they may as well stop making the Playstation.)

With each generation of console, TV, phone, video player, etc the interrogation towards all devices accessing the one online micro transaction service becomes more of a reality.

Needles to say this huge laps in security has up set the apple cart some what. It was pointed out that SONY still see this as the direction their company needs to take to prosper in the future.

Question is, has consumer confidence been so effected by the security breach (and subsequent extended lack of online service) that people will come back?

In fact, what do you feel is more damaging; the security breach or the suspension of the PSN for how ever long it takes for them to get it back up? :confused:

10. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

Well for me its the security breach and the lack of care for peoples personal data. As for the other two well they come a very very distant second\third. You see with a PC you can see the little padlock symbol so you can see the security your getting with a few clicks. I never ever liked the PSN setup because theres nothing when you buy stuff on it that says your secure, the playstation doesnt have any firewalls or virus scanners that you can click on or use so to speak and its all just a little to casual for my liking.

Obviously there was some kind of security in place (not good enough of course but thats another story) but the menus and setup always made me feel like a 10 year old kid had created it all and they said yes that will do.

The only reasons i bought a PS3 over the Xbox 360 was because i can play games in 1080p instead of 720 and it has blu-ray capabilities. When the next generation of consoles comes out i will probably switch if they are more alike. After all another reason i bought the PS3 was final fantasy 13 and thats avalible on the Xbox anyway now.

I think if i was a software company making games for the PS3 i would also be very careful that this doesnt affect my sales from this point onwards, its possible this has also been very helpful to microsoft, of course im sure it wont make that massive a difference 5 years from now when all this has been forgotten. As for me i wont be coming back to the PSN, once bitten twice shy as they say.

11. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Sorry if this is mentioned already but as a result of this I signed up for this service.

My Credit File: My Veda Alert

They linked from a govt site so should be legit at least.

How do I get a copy of my credit report?

Just ringing my health insurance the other day, they took some "security verifications" to answer my question, full name, dob, address.
    Scary when I start thinking how many sites out there have got personal information on file, the reality is that it's impossible to avoid in today's internet world.
    Although it is $47 a year, any activity on your credit report gets emailed to you, I think that piece of mind when it comes to knowing what is happening with your credit activity s worth the money.

This applies to AU residents only, but I would assume that other countries have a similar service.

Pure Mongrel likes this.
  12. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

Seems like a good service, covers a lot of bases.

13. Ancient_One

Spoke to my CC owners and they have made a note on the system that I might be one of those effected by the hackers of the PSN network.

They have a pretty good system setup designed to catch transactions which occur out of the norm so didn't appear overly concerned. They said they were on alert as a consequence of the Sony situation for anything out of the normal and said I was not to worry about it.

No new cards were required at this stage.

14. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

Ive got something simular Father, im now paying (small fee) per month to have my credit constantly checked and i have free access to it with a monthly report on all my in goings and out goings with an advisor constantly checking for any anomallys on any of my accounts. It helps to prevent anyone trying to steal my identity so its a good thing.

Im glad i canceled my card though im not taking any risks, sure they have millions of other cards but its better to be safe, in a small way this happening is a good thing because it gives other companies that hold CC details a wake up call.

Oh and a big thank you to TOG as well, since it took sony over a week to send out the email i wouldnt have found out as quick if it wasnt for TOG, as i dont watch the news.

15. urgal1

urgal1 Well-Known Member

No worries Pure Mongrel, it's was not meant to be a slight or insult on those that gave there CC details. If it ws taken that way, I appolgise as that was not my intention.

My girlfriend at the time of buying my son a PSN did the same thing. I did rectify it as soon as I was aware of what she had done.

Last edited: May 1, 2011
  16. Pure Mongrel

Cool mate :D I know that was not what you meant and i knew i was not having a go at you.

Sometimes though, communicating like this (without the benifit of hearing a persons tone or seeing facial expresions) has led to misunderstandings and anger. I am very paranoid about this :eek:

17. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

Nothing wrong with being a little paranoid :) it keeps us safe online, well unless a big company like sony drops the ball :)

18. Ancient_One

I believe the network will be coming online again this week with a 30 day free content to compensate those effected.

This does not make sense at all since most people have purchased newer machines then their original ones. Unless this is related to the fact you deactivate the accounts when transferring between machines and then activate them once transferred. Problem is again we have two machines. Mine and my sons. I have activated all the accounts and sub accounts through my machine but my son uses the sub account on his machine. Does this mean he will have to log in on my machine to alter the password on his sub account.

I wish they would build into their system the ability for a sub account to become separated from the primary account to make the sub account a new primary account in it's own right carrying over all the trophies earned as well.

This would solve a problem in the future my son and I will more then likely have.

Another thing I'm wondering about is the um.............other account we might have had. Japan and US account. I'm hoping these will just prompt us for new passwords like the other as the emails and addresses associated to them are not real. Well in as much as I don't actually live at those addresses.

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  19. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

A month of ps plus isnt exactly a we are sorry we really messed up gift, sony are tighter then a ducks butt. Would be better to allow us to download one game of our choosing free of charge.

Still better then nothing i guess, but they are still gonna miss out on my money from now onwards.

20. Pure Mongrel

I think that 30 day plus offer has been misquoted in some reports. I read you only get the 30 days for plus if you were already subscribed.