PS3: PS3 Sux ... up all my game time !

Discussion in 'Hardware Talk' started by Pure Mongrel, May 21, 2009.

1. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

Can't remember if I've asked you these Qs before:
    Are you connected wirelessly, or direct? Is the IP address fixed or DHCP?

I had an issue where games would drop out, and always just before the end of a game. It turned out, long story short, it was resetting connections at exactly half hour intervals. The thing that I couldn't get my head around was that it happened whether I was connected wirelessly or directly. And the really stupid thing was, that it was never completely losing connection. there was a constant activity light, nothing to indicate anything wrong, and the most infuriating thing... I was still connected to the game lobby after I'd been dumped.
    And, like you, my PC, laptop and MAME box never lost connection either.

Turned out it was a dodgy or misconfigured router. NFI what the problem was, all the settings to me looked correct. But when I swapped it, the problem vanished.

I know this is a slightly different set of symptoms, but have you tried a different router?
    I'm thinking if the connection starts, which it obviously is, it might be dropping the connection in a similar manner - the "hey I'm still alive" signal is still there, but the data itself has long since timed out.

Oh, and FTR, Yes, PS3 update downloads are notoriously slow. But as click pointed out, they shouldn't be that slow.

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  2. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

Wirelessly atm, but i have tried direct, same problems. Also, downloading another 1 gig demo now, 60% in 20 minutes :S Noby Noby Boy still won't update at a decent speed. They improved the fart effects dammit! I want to play!

3. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

So ATM it's just that one game? Have you tried DLing it from another server? (ie, using a different user ID set to a different country, eg USA, and downloading from the US playstation store instead of Aus?)

4. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

It's Pain, and Noby Noby at the moment, but good call, I'll give it a try :)

5. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

I have one PS3 connected wireless and the other is wired. I can't say I have noticed a difference in download speeds.

I was discussing it with Scratches and he reminded me that when I first got the PS3 I was raving about how fast the downloads were as well as the free access. (At that stage I was not going to renew my live subscription I was that impressed.)

Maybe with the increasing number of PS3 owners in Oz they need to upgrade the number of servers. Having us feed out of the UK is not good for us, we deserve a local service!

Click and Cadder is the US servers were you get all your updates? Had not considered trying to log in to a different country.

6. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

Chief, LMK what you find. :)

The point you make about the ratio of users to local servers is more than valid... remember, when there are updates, thousands upon thousands of punters are trying to DL all at once. This also explains why the PC download to memory stick is quicker. I would hazard a guess that it'd be the minority of users that know about, and even fewer know how, to perform an upgrade by USB. I wonder if there's a way to petition Sony for more Aussie servers? Click, as Sony squad leader, I think you should look into it ;)

...and to answer your question, no, I usually DL from the usual Aussie site - or DL to a USB. The latter is much quicker, albeit less convenient.

7. Pure Mongrel

Just did an experiment.

Downloaded last update (140mb) on PS3 (direct wired to modem) ... 33min.

After this downloaded;

Downloaded same file off playstation.com.au (Wireless connection to PC) ... 4min.

Time for an OZ server dang nab it!

8. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

Well I tried different accounts, no luck. I tried Pain again at about 4am and it went much faster. So I guess it is just the number of users. Lucky I often work late shifts :p

9. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

I used the free code in the Australian Playstation Magazine yesterday around 8am and downloaded the PAIN game 202MB.

After installation it required a patch 324MB.

All was completed by 9am.

I'm on TPG 1500/256 connection and have the PS3 wirelessly connected to my router but set up with manual ip and set in the free zone so the router doesn't have it behind the firewall. Needed to do this also to allow voice coms which was affected by being behind the firewall.

For the record my machine is the original on release Aussie version which is now 2 years old and never had a hiccup.

10. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

I've never had an issue with the PS3 download speeds (wireless), they've always been really fast for me. Often faster than my PC and almost always faster than the 360 (wired, go figure).

The system updates take a while, but I do them ~after~ I've finished playing. The demo installs are what annoy me the most. Downloading a 1.3GB demo takes a little while, but waiting for it to "install" is so bloody painful, and it doens't let you do anything else while this happens. The installs usually take longer than the downloads for me. Can't it auto-unpack/install while it's downloading if I'm not playing a game already?

I thought the cell processor was supposed to be good at this multi-tasking mumbo-jumbo!

11. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

Can't see why your installs are taking longer then your downloads.

That's crazy.

Mine are definately faster then that.

12. Pure Mongrel

I can't say I have ever seen installs slower than the download.

Does your console operate ok apart from that? I mean by this have you had any issues with your hard drive?

13. Pure Mongrel

To the Burnout players. How long did the last update take you guys to download? I just updated one of my PS3's for this game and it took 2 hours to update (at 3pm EST). Figuring it may be because it is school holidays I decided to wait to back up my other PS3 till the next morning (5am EST).

There appears to be no difference in the download speeds. I am not using the internet for anything else at the same time. This is getting silly. I am really starting to get ticked off that almost every time I want to play a game, I have to wait so long to play. :(

The PS3 rocks ... the PSN blows chunks.