PS3: PS3 Sux ... up all my game time !

Discussion in 'Hardware Talk' started by Pure Mongrel, May 21, 2009.

1. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

Ok, so the XBOX has been getting a flogging of late ... but at least I can play a game on it when I want to.

I bought SOCOM today and thought I would give it a whirl as I suddenly found myself with a spare hour to play.

4pm I turned on my PS3 ... which informed me I needed a software up date before I can play. So I agree to the update and wait ...

5.30 pm rolls around and the software update finally finishes ... so I put in SOCOM.

My PS3 than informs me I need to install 2.3Gb worth of files on my hard drive, so I agree ... and I wait ...

After the install I fire up the game and am informed the game needs a software update so I agree to the 157mb download and wait some more ...

It is now 7.10pm and the download is only 33% of the way downloaded. :eek:

Now before anyone starts bagging my internet connection, I can download files on my PC of this size in mere minutes and XBOX updates take 5 minutes tops!

If this was a one off occurrence I would not be bothered, but it seems every time I try to play my PS3 I have to wait extraordinary amounts of time and usually have to turn off the console once I have updated because I ran out of time.

XBOX live may cost me to use, but I would rather pay for a quality service than deal with a free crap service. :w

2. George

George Retired Captain

I was the same last night trying to link up my PSP with the PS3. Are all the Sony servers in the US? the PSN store takes some time to dl as well.

When I got my PS3 in the UAE it hadn't been on-line for over a year. It took me most of the day to go through the system & game updates. In fact the only game that didn't need updating was Oblivion. Not sure why that was?

It's never nice losing gaming time mate. At least you had time to clean the dust off it :D

3. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

I have the same problem, PSN servers are rubbish. I assume there's no Aussie servers too, so we're downloading everything from the US or something.

I've been wanting to play pain, but everytime I start it up it says there's a 350mb update. I tried to update once but after about 4 hours it was at 30%, then told me an error occurred.

4. maggot_bag

maggot_bag Getting Started

ok .......you got us there mate:rolleyes:. those f#*%ng slow updates piss me off! to.
    they've blown many a' game session.:(

5. Arep

Arep Correspondent<br>Retired Advisor

LOL! Yeah, that has been my chief complaint with my new PS3 and it has canceled many a gaming session. I also think there should me more trial versions of PS Store downloadable games...seems like they are mandatory for Xbox.

6. click

click Well-Known Member

HANG ON JUST A MINUTE

[​IMG]

Yes the servers are slow (located in England) but as for the rest of the stuff I don't agree

- Updates means new content, you should be happy to update
    - They are free, I don't think they are that bad that you would rather pay I mean come on
    - At least the PS3 works constantly
    - If you don't login for awhile expect an update
    - Update overnight - By this I mean you can put of the update until your ready. System and game updates can be delayed. So you can play games straight away. In your case Pure there was noway around since SOCOM is MP only.
    - Download the update via your PC then update via a usb stick

I thought the main problem in gaming was company's that put out consoles/games and then stop supporting them. Well here is a company that does provide support and we complain about it. It just makes no sense

Look sometimes I go to play and there is an update. I am a bit pissed because I wanted to play straight away BUT then after the update I can choose custom soundtracks or drop back the the media bar from ingame and think it was worth it.
    I don't think the PS3 sux because of it.
    Just think to yourself after you do the update WELL AT LEAST I AM ABLE TO PLAY A GAME ON THIS WORKING CONSOLE
    see >> http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/hardware-talk/234080-xbox-sucks.html

Last edited: May 22, 2009
    Kiz and Cadder like this.
  7. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

True dat.
    And besides; even if you don't update overnight, updates give you time to trawl the TOG forums, right? :D

8. r8response

r8response Well-Known Member

Download the PS3 update via the sony PS3 aussie site, throw it on a USB stick and walah

As for game updates there isn't much you can do about that

9. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

Tried to play Noby Noby Boy last night, 563 MB compulsory update. In 2 hours it got to 8% then it said "an error has occured" yet again. Guess I won't be playing that ever again :(

10. click

click Well-Known Member

This is not a server problem, there must be something else wrong
    I downloaded the inFamous demo (1.2g) today and it took 3hrs
    You said you have had a problem D/L the pain update aswell, maybe it's your end
    Downloads don't take that long

Have you tried running some tests

11. George

George Retired Captain

That could be useful. I didn't know that :)

12. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

Download updates here:
    Official PlayStation website: System Software

'Walah' indeed.
    Instructions on how to do this are here.
    Viola.
    Well pointed out, r8 - for game updates, you'll still have to download them via the playstation itself, unless the game co. are kind enough to have updates on their website - which is rare.

13. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

I did not start this thread to bash the console ... just the online support.

But as the bullets have been fired ... and you can't put them back in the gun you SONY fan boys :D ... so as XBOX squad leader I am duty bound to respond ;)

The impression I have from our forum is that XBOX console failures are only slightly higher than PS3 console failures for TOG members. (about even I am guessing but I don't have the time to check all the posts so I will grant the PS3 some leeway here :) )

The media and other sources have bashed M$ constantly over the failures of the launch consoles, but to M$ credit they have supported their product in the warranty department very well. (Sure you could argue that the warranty service would not have to be so generous of the console was better made, but the fact is the build quality is vastly improved for the current release of consoles and you are still covered for 3 years on the RROD).

I have had a number of PS1's and PS2's die on me in the past and I guarantee you the SONY warranty service was no where near the quality of the XBOX and XBOX 360.

Back to the point though, hardware wise, I am sure I am on record as stating that I think the PS3 is a better device. (This may change if one of my PS3's goes faulty though :p )

What I am referring to in this thread is the online quality. In this fast paced information age, we as gamers want our online services to be a respectable speed.

• None of us want to wait 4 hours plus to play a game we just bought.
    • None of us want the lag that gives us no chance to fight / play on a level playing field.
    • None of us want a voice communication that is garbled or inaudible.
    • None of us want to waste time trying to get friends to join game sessions.

These four things detract from game play, waste time and make the service they are connected to look amateurish and substandard.

Unfortunately to date my (and I stress my) experience with the PSN has been a frustrating example of the above points.

Yes I have had an XBOX die on me, but it was repaired quickly and I was back playing within a week and a half.

• When my XBOX updates it takes seconds to minutes to do, not hours.
    • When an XBOX game is updated to takes seconds to minutes, not hours.
    • Voice communication and joining friends online is easy, intuitive and clear.
    • Lag, although not perfect against players from other countries admittedly, is still leagues ahead of that experienced on the PSN.

Bag the 360 all you like and scoff at the fees for XBOX live, the fact is that online gaming / support is far more stable and fun on the XBOX. (And as a side point, updates for the console or games are free ... you do not have to have a gold live subscription to get them ... and they are still only seconds to minutes to download.)

The only thing that the PSN has over XBOX live is that it uses real dollars when showing a price for a game or content. I CAN NOT COMMEND SONY ENOUGH FOR THIS! (I hate M$ points so much! :mad:)

SONY consoles would have RROD too when they failed, but they had to take them out to cut costs ... just like the media card readers, extra USB ports, etc. ;)

(Climbs down from soapbox) ... "Ok SONY boys ... bring it! :D

(Oh ... and just so I am clear, this is still a friendly debate between learned colleges of the gaming community right? This post is not a flame attack, nor is it inciting a flame war.)

14. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

It is a server problem, I've downloaded plenty of stuff before at decent speeds. The 1 gig Red Faction Guerilla demo was done in 30 minutes :eek:

It seems random as to whether it wants to go fast or not.

15. click

click Well-Known Member

That confirms it even more that it's probably at your end.
    ISP's aren't perfect 100% of the time, just ask telsta customers
    There is no way the PSN is that slow that it take 2hrs to get 8% of a 500mb download

16. click

click Well-Known Member

Ok normally I don't read ficton novels but I made exception
    Pure_Mongrel
    I have to start with this statement first
    That is completely untrue
    No S#%T they have had enough practice at it
    Don't forget the owners have bashed them aswell
    You know it's not just the launch ones
    I agree 100% XBOX Voice is way better than the PS3 (when the xbox is going:p)
    We don't fire bullets, Just rockets

17. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

but that doesn't explain why my PC, Wii, DSi, and 360 all work at normal speeds 100% of the time

18. click

click Well-Known Member

That would be true
    I don't know then but PSN is not that slow
    May-be post your problems on the Official Playstation website
    I know I had a issue with the type of nat the PS3 was using once
    May-be its a network setting on your PS3 and not an ISP problem ??

19. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

I've said this in a previous thread - it sounds to me like a network conflict.

20. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

I don't know what that means. Like I said, everything else runs at normal speeds. I've had the ps3 connected directly to the interwebs, to the router, to the router with port forwarding, etc. I get no lag in online games, sometimes it downloads as fast as anything else. And most of the time, updates download stupdly slow. If there's anything else i can try, please tell me.

EDIT: Just download inFAMOUS demo, 1.2 GB in 40 mins, Tried Noby Noby Boy again, 3% in 45 mins...

Last edited: May 23, 2009