Pillars of Eternity

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by solarbear88, Mar 27, 2015.

1. solarbear88

solarbear88 Well-Known Member

Looks like this has been released. Any impressions? Is it worth buying?

2. Battle Pope

Battle Pope Well-Known Member

3. Dekay

Dekay Warframe Officer

I've been watching this. From the review it looks like a worthwhile wait.

4. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

Looked at it on Steam, and there are 3 different versions. But the Champion and Royal editions are just extra crap, nothing in-game, so I'll just go with the basic edition.

5. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

Picked it up, been playing for about an hour, and I love it. Very early on, choices do matter! Holy crap they do, I reloaded and tried a different way and it was different. This is sort of like Dragon Age: Inquisition about how choices mean something to the game but times 10 already.

6. dday_0612

dday_0612 Well-Known Member

Hey Thymos, in ESO chat when you mentioned it, it reminded me that I had wanted to try this one out. I am downloading now, hoping to enjoy it as I am in the mood for a deep story RPG. I will report back after spending some time in game. Thanks!

7. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

You also have to be careful in what you say to people. They can take some things the wrong way, especially if you're trying to be clever.

I'll also warn. There's quite a few small bugs in this game still. I guess that's what you get with a limited budget during beta.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2015
  8. Onicus

Onicus Active Member

I've got about 3 hours into it so far, and it's an amazing game. So much depth, and has a classic style of gameplay that is very nostialgic.

I bought the champion edition for the soundtrack - some good fantasy tracks.

9. Tapkoh

Tapkoh Getting Started

I'm 14 hours in and enjoying it quite a bit. I like the tactical play, the writing, and the visuals.

My only real complaint is that the pre-made companions suck for combat. I was playing on hard and loved it when it clicked, but the further I got, the clearer it became that the story party members were a major hindrance. I've since dropped it down to easy because I would rather see the story without such frustration than drop the story guys altogether. I don't need them min-maxed (couldn't hurt though), but it would be nice if they were at least somewhat competently built and they're currently not.

I'll get back to hard difficulty later with a custom party or if their builds are officially updated / there's a mod that at least allows me to fix them. Still, it's not nearly enough to put me off from continuing to play it.

10. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

I am a ranger in it, with a lion companion. I think I'm going to go for another playthrough as a rogue. They didn't really have a rogue companion, and I felt that's what I was missing most. I might try my own made group, which is simple by hiring adventurers.

11. Warshadow

Warshadow Getting Started

I currently have around 40 hours in game (The wife is definitely not happy with my gaming time the last few days) and I have to say I am very happy with having backed this game on kickstarter. I usually have a very hard time sticking to a single game, PoE has however, sucked me right in. The world that Obsidian has created feels fresh and original. There are certain RPG tropes that get re used as is unavoidable, they do however feel fresh in their delivery.

I have been playing my main as the Cipher class. I must say the Cipher is pretty wicked sick both lore wise and gameplay wise.

Despite having 40 hours in game I am not finished yet. There is still a lot of content left to cover. I have spent most of my time doing side content, most of which feels very much like their own self contained adventures.

I would say if you are a fan of the old IE games (re; Baldur's gate, et al) pick this one up and cherish every moment of an adventure that feels like it is worth the time investment.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2015
  12. Tapkoh

Tapkoh Getting Started

Rogue, monk, and barbarian are unrepresented among the story companions. I was really tempted to pick one as my main character, but went with paladin tank because of how treating other NPCs affects their stats. It's a nice RP/combat fusion.

13. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

Couldn't agree with you more. Obsidian, not oblivion. This game is a pretty good mirror of DnD. The Cipher class is equivalent to the Psion. I like how they translated everything to time instead of turns, so this ability does this for X seconds. Makes you have to think quick and act quick and use the pause function just about every couple seconds to assign the next move for each party member, as some abilities only last for about 10 seconds.

I like the idea of Endurance and Health, so I can go quite a few fights with my tank taking good damage before actually having to rest.

A lot of little bugs are bothering me. There's a few spells that are bugged and can ruin the game. Disappearing grimoires, disappearing weapon set slots, some sounds get bugged. Also certain events at the stronghold can get bugged, and actually make your party remain in combat mode from then on out.

14. RnR

RnR Retired Captain

Oooh... and a linux version at release!

15. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

Going to pick this one up and play it....eventually - Good to hear good things about it.

16. Cromulent

Cromulent Active Member

Awesome game. Right up there with Divinity: Original Sin. Really glad I backed it.

17. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

The patch was just released today. Love all the fixes. Too bad they nerfed my Arbalest. Going to restart from the beginning as something else.

18. GreyStone

GreyStone Well-Known Member

Playing the Hero edition. HOpe you like it!

19. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

I restarted as a rogue that dual wields a rapier and a stiletto, and wears hide armor. I even hired an adventurer that I made a Greatsword wielding Barbarian that wears Leather Armor. I wanted Eder to have some help with tanking.

20. GreyStone

GreyStone Well-Known Member

Cool :)