Pathfinder Kickstarter is back

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Thymos, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

Now, they had a very successful kickstarter for a tech demo, but I guess it didn't work out and they didn't get any publishers behind them. So they're going for kickstarter publishing funds now... :/

I like and don't like kickstarter campaigns. I feel it segregates people, especially MMO crowds, and you'll get elitism from people who donated more than you did.

I would love to see a Pathfinder MMO, but I can't bring myself to support any more kickstarters.

Pathfinder Online: A Fantasy Sandbox MMO by Goblinworks Inc. — Kickstarter

I also think it's a bad time to do kickstarters, because a lot of people are more willing to use their money for the holidays, not for a video game that isn't going to be done for a while.

I shouldn't be so negative. This game seems to offer pretty much the same thing Star Wars Galaxies did.

I am hopeful that this does get out and soon, because a new decent sandbox MMO is needed. I mean, I would love to just be an explorer or spy.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  2. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

Wow... it still has quite a lot of time, but it's almost halfway to the goal.

Maybe I was wrong.

I'm not sure how the sandbox elements will work, but it would be nice to play some espionage.

3. xenoph

xenoph Retired Captain

They're going to have a subscription, considering how much crap games nowadays get for that?

(Personally, I'm not against it, but I saw the whining around TSW when it was released, and the ESO forums.)

4. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

I think the sub model is just a barebones as it is right now. From the FAQ, I got this:

5. Flintwick

Flintwick Retired Captain

Wait, they are flat out saying that they are charging a subscription for beta???

6. Flintwick

7. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

I think they will reach it. It's understandable for a slow down the weeks coming up to Christmas. But they have 3 weeks left. People will be more inclined to spend after the holiday and the dust settles with their funds.

8. jojojoget

jojojoget Just Joined

They already have 150k from kickstarter for their Tech Demo and already secured investors.
    I really am not sure about why they need 1 million before even completing the game at 50% at all.
    They should show us their gameplay then asked for kickstarter again.

9. Flintwick

Because its free money they don't have to give back? ;) /cynic

It really is a bitter pill to swallow for them to come back and ask for $1m so soon after their old kickstarter project. It's currently looking like they have tapped out their target market, as they are only trending towards 75% of their goal.

I have many reasons why I don't like the way they are approaching their project, and the way they are leveraging folks love of the Pathfinder IP to fleece the money out of them. This new kickstarter project pushes that over the edge for me, and I really hope they don't hit their funding goal. If they don't, they will still make the game (as you said, they have other investors), they just wouldn't have fleeced their community for millions of dollars to do so.

Also, its worth pointing out, they only intend this $1m to develop the next block up to beta. At that point, they will be doing another funding push, which may mean another kickstarter or similar crowdfleecing project.

Another thing that is worth pointing out. Their initial kickstarter project asked for $50k to make the tech demo. They got $300k. Apparently that has all been spent, in 6 months, with a lot of that going on "wages". Yes, the tech demo was done (although, it doesn't really show off much), but I'm not sure I would say its $300k worth heh.

10. Flintwick

Interestingly as well, they are losing pledges today. I have been checking the trends, and they have lost over $5k already today.

11. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

I am a complete skeptic on this. I am not donating money to them, but I am hopeful for this game.

12. FiraB

FiraB Getting Started

I do admit they listen to the community a lot but wasn't impressed enough by the tech demo to fund the full MMO. They just don't seem passionate enough compared to most developers going the KS route.

13. Flintwick

I think a large part of the problem on that front is that they don't NEED the money. They have stated they already have the investment they need to develop the game. This is just a marketing ploy, a way to get a bunch of free funds from the community to bolster their dev fund.

Kickstarter is meant to be a way for projects without other funding options to get the finances they need from the community that supports them. But, thanks to some hugely successful kickstarters, the big players see it as a great publicity stunt, as well as a way of getting a bucket full of cash they never have to give back.

To successfully raise $350k, then within months come back asking for another $1m, while at the same time stating that they already have the funds needed to complete their project is just plain abhorrent.

14. Flintwick

BTW, by way of a disclaimer, we did run a kickstarter project, but we only asked for $25k, and we definitely needed the money...

15. Codedependent

Codedependent Getting Started

Okay, I've just discovered the project, and I'm quite excited about some of the aspects of this game. Persistent gameworld changes: you destroy a building, it stays destroyed (unless rebuilt). Skills are realtime trained like in eve. Player sides (rather than alliance vs horde, it's player organisations vs player orgs). Crafting: rather than sitting there clicking create, create, create, etc, you set up the machinery, your NPC (hires?) do the crafting. You don't need to be there. MOBS! Mobs don't just constantly respawn and walk around in a set path (or random path through a set area).. they breed, they have their own "desires", etc. If you leave a camp of goblins alone and forget about them, they'll probably breed and then start attacking nearby farmland.

To address one concern: the beta in this project is not like a beta in other projects - it won't be aimed (primarily) at bug finding - they aim to have them mostly ironed out by the start of the beta. They say the beta stage will be mostly balance testing, feature adding, etc. Characters created in the beta WILL NOT BE DELETED when the servers are opened up to the general public. The idea of the beta is to increase the player-base in a controlled fashion, and when the game goes live there will be an existing structure in the world, and already mature player organisations to join.

No, they don't need the money, but they say they can speed up development with the kickstarter funds. They seem to want to have a lot of input for the community that will sign up through kickstarter and become the alpha testers an beta players.

I understand your concerns, but I for one am excited to see this project made.

16. jojojoget

jojojoget Just Joined

They already get investors from the kickstarter Tech Demo.
    They know that sandbox gamers are hard up.
    That is why they are using squeezing these sandbox gamers by their balls with emotionally blackmail them.
    "If you don't pay us 1 million, your game will come out late".
    The 1 million is just pure greed cos they know they can get it.
    And also the game write up are done by their CEO, who is as they say is Steve Job in marketing.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2013
  17. Ludy

Ludy Well-Known Member

I look at it is if they get the cash it will come out early. They said late 2014 but if they reach their goals earlier. Not the game will come out in 2013 but unless we meet our goals it will be 2014.

The $100 pledge gets you over $300 in P&P .pdfs. To some this is no big deal but to me it's nice. Real nice in fact as that will be over a year of gaming with my friends by itself.

As Rosencavelier pointed out...
    So ya while it's a beta you will be getting skill points from that date. Anyone who played Eve can tell you that real time is important when it comes down to training. I am either going Druid or Ranger and those months of early access might allow me to increase my stealth to a point I won't have to worry about wankers attempting to gank me when the flood gates open. I'll just slip away into the forest and likely leave them a nasty surprise or 2.

I personally am excited about this game more than most sandbox games. I have been hoping for a fantasy based game with Eve elements. This game seems to be closer to that than most. They do have me by the short hairs as jojojoget has pointed out but I am still optimistic. Pathfinder is a pretty good IP and I hope they do it justice.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  18. golightly

golightly Active Member

Did my pledge last week, it's getting close now. I think this is a great idea and something different from all the big studios, specially if you look back at that last couple of years major disappointments. They have nearly reached their target, only $100k to go!

19. Ludy

Ludy Well-Known Member

Looks like they made it. Glad because I was really looking forward to the pen and paper source material on .pdf.

They also finished the poll on the forth race. It's Gnomes but in Pathfinder they are more a Fey creature than the WoW crazy inventor type. They said they will be putting up another poll for the next major mechanic (mounts, pets, or additional Gods).

The games a long way off but I am hopeful. The sandbox market needs more games.

20. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

Well hopefully we see something come from this in a couple years.