Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Redgum, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Ulric

Ulric Consider a Can Opener Advisory Admin

I purchased Arma 2 and was not impressed.

I had great hopes for this game as well... will give it a go and see what I think.

Have to fill in the time while I am waiting for Red Orchestra - Heroes of Stalingrad to arrive next year.

May be worth a review as well.

Cheers, Ulric.

2. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

The mission and campaign editors (that are technically external to the game) reveal there is definitely more in this game than has been shown in the basic campaign or unlockable missions (some vehicles, for example, that we haven't yet encountered). There are places on the island of Skira that we haven't yet experienced missions, etc.

The game's not perfect, has its flaws and "shows" that it's a console port - but it's not crap, either. The only real "buggy" part of it at the moment is multiplayer and even then that's mainly an issue with the global authentication/leaderboard/etc. servers, not so much the game itself. Once a co-op game amongst your buddies is running it seems fine.

I haven't tried a random/pubber multiplayer game yet so I don't know how harsh the experience might be - but amongst fellow TOGgers, we've been having fun! :)

3. Redgum

Redgum Retired Captain

ive never co-oped just multiplayed on designated servers.

is it hard to set up a coop?

4. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

I've found these so far (with the obvious/usual variation in quality):

Downloads - OFP2 Dragon Rising - Operation Flashpoint HQ

Any others?

Not if you have friends in your OFPDR "Friends" list and use a voice chat application outside the game - otherwise, the actual mechanics of setting up a co-op game aren't that complicated but doing so with randoms could potentially (I imagine) be a frustrating experience.

Biggest things for the person hosting the game to remember are to ensure any Windows firewall and ADSL router firewall are properly configured (if you have UPnP enabled, that should generally be sufficient).

5. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

6. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

7. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

I really liked that co-op video with the guys working together as a team. I'd like to play in a game like that. Working together for the common good instead of just lemming it to the frontline tossing nades over th ebuildings and praying.

hahaahah.

8. Ulric

Ulric Consider a Can Opener Advisory Admin

Picked it up off steam last evening. Had a go for a while.

I found the menu system to be frustrating, but the game play was everything I had hoped that ARMA would be but failed.

One really impressive thing that I don't know how they achieved it but I was able to run at good FPS on my screen in native resolution (2560x1600) on an ATI 3870 with 512MB vram. I cannot do that with many other games that don't have nearly as good graphics.

9. Beavis

Beavis Well Torn Member and Previously Retired Captain

I too got it on steam last nuight and had a quick run,yes the menu is very frustrating

10. Mutley

Mutley Getting Started

We now have a teamspeak channel for the game ofpdr
    LOL check the turkys out at gamingsa haveing a major debate over operation flashpoint 2 verse there old favorit frotlines lol a hole lot of bitch slapping gobble,
    OPERATION FLASHPOINT 2 dr released today - GamingSA
    LOL:w

Last edited: Oct 15, 2009
  11. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

*starts swaying and almost falling down on this side*

12. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Sadly, I can see longer legs with ARMA but I agree with you about the gameplay. I find it far superior humping through grassland and taking potshots at what I think is movements and muzzleflash in the brush.

I was hoping the extreme difficulty would give you the compass at the top but remove the red markers for the enemy. Having AI call out 200m south and you're without any clue where that is relative to you makes hardcore exceptionally difficult.

Impatiently awaiting Codemasters to address the community with what their direction is with the game. It really has some potential if they can fix a few things up and provide a dedicated server option.

13. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

The executive producer has posted to the forum that dedicated servers aren't in development just yet - whether that means they have no intention of ever providing or if they might provide them but sometime in the future after some other already in-development patches and DLC are completed, isn't entirely clear.

One thing that is clear, however, is that Codemasters really haven't communicated well how "easy" (well, relatively) and powerful the Mission Editor happens to be... within minutes I'd managed to place friendly/enemy troops on the map, given the friendly troops some helicopters and created a fireteam, then jumped in to the game and was immediately playing, without any goals/objectives, waypoints or scripting...

14. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

Found another:

OPERATION FLASHPOINT 2 DR - PROJETO EXTRA MISSIONS [+Vídeo] [+Lone Snipers] [+Mission Editor] - Fórum UOL Jogos

Note, the in-game text is in Portugese (Brazilian), but since the relevant files to fix this are just text files, they can be easily translated with something like Google so that you can follow what's going on in-game.

Working together as a team is one thing and is definitely essential - but one of the videos floating around takes things waaaaaaaay too far ("We enforce chain of command on our server" and whatnot... sheesh).

The radial command menu? After a while you end up only using a few of the commands and you can quickly slip in/out of the menu without much trouble. Just give your AI team the essential commands at the start, tell them to follow you and away you go (of course you can get more complicated than this if you want...).

15. Mutley

Mutley Getting Started

Would it be posible to edit more choppers for a mp invasion & anialation mode, chopper war in large multiplayer would be awsome.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2009
  16. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

In theory yes as long as you're comfortable directly editing XML - but note I haven't put that theory in to practice, I've only localised the text that appears in-game. :)

If you can't edit an existing mission for that purpose, no reason why you can't just create a new mission with no other purpose than multiplayer helicopter wars... You can certainly add/use helicopters that aren't normally used in the main missions (Cobra, Little Bird, etc.).

17. Mutley

Mutley Getting Started

I am experianced at makeing maps with call of juarez and farcry 2 but this ofpsdr is totaly new to me and i will need a week or more of lerning editor exetra.
    So if someone can make up a mission as described or even any half decent mp infiltration or anialation mp mode, i may be able to provide custom file redirect with my paid web host but had probs with the web host opening game ports on there server for cod5 and ut3 mod files, and the redirect fails unlike my old host at webcity.
    I just purchased priority support from my new cheap new host and may be they may help fix auto redirect issues this time.
    If redirect gets fixed i have unlimited web space and unlimited traffic and high speed transfer.

18. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

WOW. Usually making maps for games like COD and TF2 or L4D is really laborious. You have to do so much stuff behind the scenes to get things just to work, let alone look good. So thats great news on that department. But this lack of dedicated servers is really giving me pause for thought, may end up in with the borderlands and look back at this later if they address the server issue.

@Unknown, I think that could be fun (maybe not all the time). I bet you the ones that set it up are probably ex-military themselves or something. If we had a fun night where we played like as a division it could be a fun experience I think.

19. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

I bought this game via Steam. It's much more intuitive than ArmA II in my opinion and definitely flows better. Even having less than an hour of play I could enter a co-op match and play without being too much of a burden (I think!).

After checking out the difficulty levels I can see how the removal of at least some of the HUD and altered respawn would increase the immersion in this game dramatically and actually force you to play very differently in relation to each level.

I jumped into a co-op match with 'Unknown' and 'Thermal Ions' and had a great time! Like I said, the game flows well even if you're a newbie. A few bugs in the game were noted but nothing game-breaking and easily patched. Unlike some other players I don't find the radial menu confusing.

If you enjoy co-op and don't mind the time taken in a game that requires a strategic nature then go and get it! It's definitely not for everyone and it's not as sim as ArmA II but it flows well and it's fun with mates :)

20. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

Some more custom missions - these are multiplayer (mainly annihilation mode):

Tactical Warfare Studios ::

Still early days so the quality of custom missions is still quite variable, but there's certainly some early promise. The quarry mission can be quite chaotic with very close-quarter combat...

BTW, Drac's created a Steam group to gather OFP DR-playing TOGgers together:

Steam Community :: Group :: TOG | Operation Flashpoint