Operation Flashpoint 2: Dragon Rising

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Redgum, Oct 8, 2009.

1. Redgum

Redgum Retired Captain

Its available on Steam - it looks great too.

is there a way of knowing how much quota it will use up to download?

EDIT: NED
    PRE-RELEASE DISCUSSION - HERE -

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2009
  2. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

I forget the exact number - according to the Steam client's Bandwidth Monitor (so potentially take it with a grain of salt), it was in the vicinity of maybe 4.4 to 4.5GB from Steam, something like that.

The mission editor appears in the "Tools" tab of the Steam client (I haven't tried it yet, just the game itself).

(Checks ISP quota...) Yeah, looks about right. Assume a worst-case scenario of say around 5GB and you should be covered.

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
  3. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Nooooooooo, I'm shaped :(

120GB/month and I still get shaped a week before my rollover date. Sigh...

4. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

I've read a few early impressions of the PC version so far and the single player sounds pretty good. The reservations I have is that the multiplayer is P2P with no dedicated servers, apparently they are recommending an upload speed of 3Mb to host a game with 16 vs 16 players, which rules out the majority of home broadband connections, and on top of that you can't join a game in progress (no server browser), you all have to start from the lobby and hope that the person hosting doesn't disconnect halfway through.
    I really hope Codemasters have a rethink :(

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  5. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

That sounds like an MP killer. It's sad to see dedicated servers disappearing. The consoles are finally starting to take over :(

6. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm digging it at the moment. Content is a little down as I've already finished the campaign so it'll be up to the community to provide long lasting content it would seem.

MP does look a little disappointing but I guess I was only really going to co-op missions with 1 or 2 others so it probably won't be that big a deal. If they want the game to have legs then they'll need to offer modding tools as well as a dedicated server at some point.

7. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

This - QFT.

Is it perfect? No. Is it everything we thought it could be? No. Then again, what games have been perfect, living up to the hype and completely bug-free from day one?

Is it horribly crap and not worth the bother? That'll depend on the individual - for me, I'm enjoying it (but bear in mind, I enjoyed Far Cry 2 so ner! :p). I know the hard-core mil-sim nuts have their complaints and I can guarantee you that PC FPS players have their valid complaints too (it's a cross-platform game, so there are some console-isms and limitations) - but sometimes those complaints are just nit-picking for the sake of complaining; so we can't lean left/right (for example), it's mildly annoying but not a game-breaker.

Don't forget there are about six "FTE" bonus missions beyond the main campaign (bonus unlockable codes on Codemasters' forum).

The mission/campaign editor comes with the game, that's a start I guess - we'll have to see how Codemasters live up to their promises of patches and DLC in future...

8. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

There are things in Flashpoint that wow me that are done so much better than in ARMA2 which everyone points to as the milsim of choice.

I'm often having to spot enemies by muzzle flash or movement in terrain that's a lot grassier further out than I can achieve in ARMA2. Seeing rounds bounce and ricochet, particularly when you've got a nightops equipped scope is tres sexy.

I've had a frig with the mission builder which would be much neater if it were in-game like ARMA2's. Not bad but apparently has limitations of units you 'should' place on the battlefield. I'm hoping the mission building boffins can start cranking out quality missions as the campaign is clearly inadequate on such a large environment.

I don't really have many bad things to say about the engine. It's a ripper on the surface and has the potential to be very enjoyable with a few TOGers with some hand crafted quality co-op missions. Personally, I prefer the engine over ARMA2's and I can run both with mostly high settings with high FPS. If they release an SDK allowing additional vehicles and assets to be inserted into the game then happy days.

I've unlocked 2 of those bonus missions but I think I have another 6 that are locked. I'll have to google on how to do that. The 2 I did unlock were very basic, my squad vs 2 enemy squads.

9. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

There's a thread on Codemasters' own OFPDR forum that lists all the bonus codes for those "exclusive pre-order" missions (six in total I believe, including those two from the promotional Web site). They're all pretty simple little engagements that you can complete in under 10 minutes each (though my AI team mates kept wimping out and dropping dead during the assault on the consulate! :rolleyes:).

10. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

In some games, not being able to join a running game that has started is a server option. I don't know with this one though.

Are you able to connect to a lobby of your choice ie. with friends?

11. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

Dunno - need to find some friends first! :p

Some scaled-down screen shots (hmm.. just noticed the TOG site has increased the allowable size for JPEGs - oh well, too late I've already scaled 'em down) from the on-line (as opposed to LAN) multiplayer section of the game appear below.

(Later...)

From the Codemasters forum:

They've already confirmed that they're working through the issues already reported and a patch is in development.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  12. Redgum

Redgum Retired Captain

Its cheap too $45au via steam verses $90Au from EB.

Thanks for the reviews guys.

13. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Got them all unlocked now, yeah a little too simple. I can set up a better engagement using the mission editor.

Clearly it's a sandbox game considering you don't get to play with many of the really neat things within the official campaign. I'm looking forward to some of the user generated missions - looks like they can't be built to the scope of ARMA2's missions but if someone figured out a way to create a co-op mission similar to ARMA2's domination, I'd be all over it. (then give us a dedicated server option).

There's serious potential in there, I just hope Codemasters carries through with it.

14. hadrian6616

hadrian6616 Well-Known Member

Just downloaded via steam (go you aussie dollar!) and played the first mission - even on my old rig it runs ok. Once your used to the radial menu commands it helps out. And save your ammo. A well placed three round burst will take most out.

15. Benda

Benda Well-Known Member

interesting feedback thanks guys. now i am re-thinking purchasing this simply because of the mp system.

16. Mutley

Mutley Getting Started

Gday im new to tog and waiting for my copy of ofp2 to arive in post.
    Also i have a xeon dedicated server machine in back room wit 2 MBPS upload from my neibourhood cable ncable.net.au check out premium plan, any how if game dont run ded i can host it off my 3ghz intel duel core pc here.
    I am totaly new to arma2 and flashpoint and look forward to some helpfull advice cheers.

17. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Hey Mutley, welcome to TOG mate. Thats a generous offer. :)

18. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Finally played that one, I left my squadmates where they were and used them as suppression as the AI came out after us. While they attempted to flank I order suppression and flank them.

When I got to the consulate there was an objective marked over the top of a truck - plucked off 2 or 3 sitting in the back as well as the driver and passenger. Mission accomplished. :)

19. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

So... would you guys recommend this game to co-op fans?
    I'd love to hear some feedback on the co-op.

:)

20. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

Had some fun on co-op with Unknown & Jigoku yesterday / last night. They didn't appreciate my 100 kmph, 45 degree descent angle while landing the chopper for some reason though. Don't know what they were complaining about - they couldn't possibly have felt anything at impact. :rolleyes:

There are some hiccups with the CM validation servers it seems as we were having quite a struggle joining each others lobbies and getting disconnected. Hopefully that will get sorted out and settle down. Setting up a virtual lan may get around that in the interim - not that I've looked into how to do that yet, just seen it suggested elsewhere.